SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Techniques and Tips > Pre-shrinking thread ( Moderated by MissCelie)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Pre-shrinking thread
tips on how to pre-shrink thread to prevent puckering in finished stiches
iridaea
star
iridaea
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 11/5/10
Send Message

Date: 9/2/12 6:46 PM

I like to sew with linen & cotton thread, but one of the things that's bothering me is seam puckering. I pre-wash my fabric, but after spending more hours than I'll ever admit to hand stitching seams, I'm saddened by thread shrinkage which creates puckers. Does anyone know how to pre-shrink thread without creating little knot-nests?

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

In reply to iridaea <<

Date: 9/2/12 7:52 PM

A couple of years ago I went to a very nice new local yarn and was surprised to see an elaborate wood 'hank' winder. I would suppose you could employ that concept.

Start with an extra wide piece of something that can act as a base to the thread hank. Carefully wrap with a loosely woven piece of fabric to gently hold the threads in order when you preshrink.
-- Edited on 9/9/12 12:00 PM --

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

In reply to iridaea <<

Date: 9/2/12 8:05 PM

Also check, the Oregon Woodworker, YarnSwifts.com.

And Swift Yarn Winder on Overstock.com.

And, consider putting the question in the knitting and crocheting section if you don't get responses here. That group will have seen more products for winding skeins.

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

Elcue
Elcue  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 6/13/12
Send Message

In reply to iridaea <<

Date: 9/2/12 8:24 PM

I didn't read all of 7yearstitch's post but it reminded me of something. I used to spin yarn. The yarn in formed into hanks. You could do this with the thread on a small scale and then steam it.

If you are interested in further info from me about this, let me know.

arianamaniacs
starstarstarstar
arianamaniacs  Friend of PR
Advanced
Austria
Member since 6/11/04
Send Message

Date: 9/3/12 4:02 AM

It makes me wonder why you like working with linen and cotton thread if it's causing problems like puckering. Would a blend perhaps solve this for you?

annsew65
star
annsew65
Advanced
Member since 4/9/02
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 9/3/12 6:27 AM

Are you using a commercially produced cotton or linen? Most threads are mercerized, so most all of it is pre-shrunk. Are you winding your bobbin too tightly? This can cause it to stretch, then when you wash it, it shrinks back to its relaxed state causing puckers, but this is more common with poly threads. I have used cotton thread some, but really have decided I like Metrosene by Mettler much better. I have a lot fewer problems with it than any other brand.

------
Sewing in Wild, Wonderful West Virginia
Sewing Room Pics:
http://picasaweb.google.com/annsew65/MySewingRoom#

solosmocker
starstarstar
solosmocker
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 1/23/06
Send Message

Date: 9/8/12 9:42 PM

Winding your bobbin to fast will cause it to stretch and then pull back once it is stitched and can relax. FWIW, your part synthetic threads will be much sturdier and longer lasting. Cotton thread is usually not recommended for general garment sewing as it can rot before the garment has seen its full wear. I'm talking general sewing here. There are certainly exceptions.

Sandra Betzina recommends cutting garments of poly charmeuse, notorious for showing these puckers, on the cross grain. I have tried it and it works.

------
http://lasewist.blogspot.com/

CraftAddict
CraftAddict
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 9/1/10
Send Message

Date: 9/8/12 11:06 PM

am i over-simplifying by suggesting you submerge the entire spool of thread into hot water and letting it air dry?

Karla Kizer
starstarstar
Karla Kizer  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 4/8/02
Send Message

Date: 9/8/12 11:55 PM

Louise Cutting convinced me years ago that Mettler Silk-finish cotton was THE thread to use for smooth seams and non-puckery topstitching, and now I use it for everything except poly or nylon knits. Her explanation was that the polyester thread had just enough stretch in it that the machine would stretch it as it was being sewn into the garment, but that the tension would then relax and create puckers in the finished seam. If you're using a good quality cotton thread like Mettler, then I'd begin to suspect that the stitch tension -both upper and lower - need to be fiddled with.

------
“Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.” -Robert Heinlein and Ann's father. Thanks for the reminder, Ann.

Where are we going, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Matthew 25:40 (New International Version)
The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

blue mooney
starstarstar
blue mooney
Intermediate
Member since 12/21/02
Send Message

In reply to Karla Kizer <<

Date: 9/9/12 7:57 AM

Quote: Karla Kizer
Louise Cutting convinced me years ago that Mettler Silk-finish cotton was THE thread to use for smooth seams and non-puckery topstitching,

Karla, what source do you like for the Mettler silk-finish cotton? I've ordered some basic colors from e-Quilter, and really liked it. Would like to have an alternate source.

------
--Robyn
sewing blog: http://bluemooney.wordpress.com/
other artwork blogged here: http://robynjorde.com/blog/

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Techniques and Tips >> Pre-shrinking thread

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Register

Leather 101
Leather 101

Register

BurdaStyle Magazine 04-2010-114

photo
by: Maree P

Review
TAILORED JACKET - A CD Book by Kenneth King

TAILORED JACKET - A CD Book by Kenneth King

Buy Now
Favorite Things Little Smartie Pants Pattern

Favorite Things Little Smartie Pants Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.