SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Choosing a New Sewing Machine ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Choosing a New Sewing Machine
Advice on choosing a new Bernina
Coco1xx
Coco1xx
Member since 4/20/11
Send Message

Date: 9/2/12 7:09 PM

I am a beginner quilter and have never used an embroidery machine before. However, now that I have retired, I have time to pursue both, and I am looking for the "perfect" machine. I have been offered a really good deal on a 635, but I am not sure I like the big blue bubbles on the face of the machine (much too busy). I have also looked at the 580. Can anyone offer any advice on which of these two machines might be better for me, or is there another machine I should consider

SouthernStitch
starstarstar
SouthernStitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
LA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 9/2/12 7:30 PM

Did your dealer tell you about the new 7 series that is coming out? It may be more than you want to spend, but they will be out very soon. You could look at the 750, which will allow you get just the sewing machine and add the embroidery later. These machines will have the larger harp space, hover feature, dual feed, and a great new bobbin system. They will also allow a larger embroidery field than the 5 series.
Many people love their 6's. You also have the choice of getting a 730 at a close out price. That's what I have. Although I may upgrade, I do love this machine. It has many great features!

I think the 580 is a great machine, but it also depends on your budget, and what features you will need. Do you want 5.5 mm feed dogs, or the 9mm size?

------
Bernina 780, and 530
Juki TL2010
Babylock Evolution
Singer 403a

When life gives you green velvet curtains, make a green velvet dress.

Sonoma33
star
Sonoma33  Friend of PR
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 5/10/09
Send Message

In reply to Coco1xx <<

Date: 9/2/12 7:33 PM

Everything SouthernStitch said.

Also, I thought you could put a different 'cover' face on the machine? Someone here should know if that is true, but that was my understanding. I say that because the 635 is an awesome machine, and if you are getting a good deal on it, I bet you would love it.

------
Berninas 830LE ♥ Artista 630PQE ♥ 930 Record ♥ Juki TL2010Q ♥ Pfaffs Creative Performance ♥ Passport 2.0 ♥ Singers 221 ♥ 301 ♥ 500a ♥ Kenmore 1040 ♥ Elna 'Grasshopper' ♥ Tacsew T500 ♥ Babylock Evolution

andye
andye  Friend of PR
Beginner
VA USA
Member since 5/9/09
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 9/2/12 7:34 PM

For $24.95, you can design your own skin for the 635.

There. Now you can move on to more pressing concerns--like which machine has a better mix of features.

------
Bernina B330
Feet: 1,2,3,3A,4,5,7,8,10,13,16,18,20, 29,32,35,37,50,64,70,71,82,85,86, 92

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
BC CANADA
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

In reply to andye <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 9/2/12 7:38 PM

Appearance of a sm is my first pressing concern. Features come after that.

------
I heart Panzy, Pfaff Creative Performance, the sewing machine love of my life!
And Baby (Enlighten serger), Victor (BLCS), Rupert (Pfaff 2023-knits expert) Ash (B350SE-Artwork), Kee (B750QEE-Panzy's BFF), Georgie (B560-Kee's baby sister) and the Feather-Flock!

Most of all, I heart Woo (HimmyCat). Until we meet again, my beautiful little boy. I love you.

Changma
star
Changma  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
NY USA
Member since 2/20/12
Send Message

In reply to LynnRowe <<

Date: 9/2/12 7:42 PM

Quote: LynnRowe

And to that I say:

Hahahahahaha!
Maia B
star
Maia B  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
IL USA
Member since 10/27/10
Send Message

Date: 9/2/12 7:44 PM

I can't comment on embroidery at all, but I have a 630, and it's my favorite machine. Just so easy, intuitive, precise, powerful, reliable and fun. I go to my 820 for wide deco stitches, the huge harp for quilting, and integrated dual feed.

If the "bubbles" bother you, you can create your own skin for the 635. I like them, and I think special editions add a fun element.

I've been hearing $3800 on closeout for the 630/635 without embroidery. I think anything under $3500 is a very good deal, much lower would be a "run don't walk" situation for me.

I adore my 630, which I bought used. I really wasn't expecting it to be much more than a minor upgrade to my 440, but it is.

The 580 is a whole other beast, IMO. 9mm stitches, more advanced embroidery capability, and more than twice the price.

Good luck!

------
🌸 Plenty of machines, mostly Berninas 🌸

SewBusy63
star
SewBusy63
Intermediate
Member since 12/10/07
Send Message

In reply to Coco1xx <<

Date: 9/3/12 10:54 AM

I owned the 635 (love the bubbles!) and it is a workhorse. Embroidery stitch out quality is probably the same as on my 830. I use Embird to do all my editing but you can do some on the 635. As others have stated, you can make your own skin for the 635. I can highly recommend this machine. I really know nothing about the 580 (I played with the simulator), but I prefer the software on the 635. You might consider the new 7 series since they offer a larger harp, bobbin, BDF, thread cutter. My best advise to you is to sew on the machines you are interested in with your own fabrics. Do a lengthy test on them by testing all the features. You need to find the one that feels right to you.

------
~Diana~

♥ Bernina 830E ♥ Bernina 1150MDA serger

✝The Lord is my Light and my Salvation: whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1✝

Restart06
star
Restart06  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 10/29/06
Send Message

Date: 9/3/12 11:09 AM

Get the most machine you can....even if you go up to the 7 or 8 series. I have the 635 (love it), but really would like a higher end 7 0r 8 for the other features. I didn't think I want the embroidery, but I do alot of it (for me) for gifts. Now everything has gone (almost) to the 10" embroidery field and I am lusting.....but ultimately it is the one you can work with & like in your hands. Not us. Have fun shopping & let us know what you get.

------
There is no easy way! quote from my Grandfather
Sharing is caring!

RipStitcher
star
RipStitcher
Advanced
CO
Member since 5/28/12
Send Message

In reply to LynnRowe <<

Date: 9/3/12 12:01 PM

Quote: LynnRowe

We know!!!!!

------
~~~YAY! ~~~ I finally published my first pattern!
See demo video on: www.BionicGearBag.com
My personal blog: www.RipStitcher.com

Wish list:
Bernina 550QE (for it's cute little footprint)
Sashiko
Ovation serger

Love my Babylock Ellisimo Gold & ElnaPress

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Choosing a New Sewing Machine

Merchants on PR

Budo Bear Designs

Asian Designs
Web site

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Register

Create a Jacket Muslin
Create a Jacket Muslin

Register

Abacadabra 103

photo
by: aaltje

Review
Victory Simone Paper Pattern

Victory Simone Paper Pattern

Buy Now
Favorite Things The Wrap Dress Pattern

Favorite Things The Wrap Dress Pattern

Buy Now
Vogue Patterns 8837

photo
by: sfshaza

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.