SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Knitting Lounge > Socks, socks and more socks ( Moderated by JEF)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Socks, socks and more socks
Share patterns and pictures of knit and crochet socks!
Marie367
Marie367  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 5/28/11
Send Message

Date: 9/2/12 11:14 PM

I am a knitter and crocheter. I learned from my mother and grandmother many years ago. I don't get to do either as much as I would like but there is nothing better than curling up on a cold winter's evening with a set of knitting needles and yarn! So several people were talking about socks on the Make all your clothes sew along that Restart started. I went looking for a thread about socks and couldn't find one.
I am sorry I don't have a pattern to share-I will have to write it down as I go along. I started years ago with "Joan's Socks" You can find this all over the internet and Lion Brand has it up on their site. Joan's socks are made from two strands of Lion Brand Wool Ease yarn and a set of double-pointed knitting needles. (it would be so cool if "Joan" is hanging out on this site!) This is the pattern I learned from and keep going back to. Two strands of Wool Ease make a nice heavy sock which is too hot sometimes for everyday wear. So now I use Kroy sock yarn or a similar brand and size 3 needles. I found a pair I started last year-one sock is done-I need to finish the other and will try to get a picture soon.
Socks anyone?

JEF
starstarstar
JEF  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Virginia USA
Member since 7/27/05
Board Moderator
Send Message

In reply to Marie367 <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 9/3/12 7:17 AM

I have made a few pairs of socks. You are making me feel inspired to get some on my needles ( and maybe take off the complicated Colorwork sock that is so not-inspiring I haven't worked on socks for almost a year )

I like "a nice ribbed sock". The pattern is on ravely. It is a 3-1 ribbed sock, cuff down.

JEF
-- Edited on 9/3/12 7:17 AM --

------
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." --Abraham Lincoln

Restart06
star
Restart06  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 10/29/06
Send Message

In reply to Marie367 <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 9/3/12 8:30 AM

What a great idea!!! I don't know how to knit, so I am thinking about 1 yr from now when I have my closet in shape learning to do this. Keep it going!

------
There is no easy way! quote from my Grandfather
Sharing is caring!

kittiecat
kittiecat
Advanced Beginner
Member since 11/1/10
Send Message

In reply to Marie367 <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 9/3/12 9:31 AM

I know Joan! As far as I know, she is not a sewer, but sticks to knitting, spinning, an crocheting. She is quite active on Ravelry, however. It is a wonderful pattern!

Rhoda K
star
Rhoda K  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Alabama USA
Member since 8/22/05
Send Message

In reply to Marie367 <<

Date: 9/3/12 9:36 AM

I always have socks in progress and am currently working on a pair of socks for two grandsons for Christmas. I've used the basic sock pattern from the Lion Brand booklet ''7 Classic Knits For The Family'' and using the sock pattern from Come to Silver's website. I just finished a pair of socks for a friend for Christmas, as well. I'll post a photo later.

Knitting socks is a great stress reliever when I'm having fitting problems with my sewing. Plus, socks are so portable, especially when waiting in doctors' offices!

Rhoda K
star
Rhoda K  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Alabama USA
Member since 8/22/05
Send Message

In reply to JEF <<

Date: 9/3/12 9:43 AM

JEF, thanks for the tip on the ''nice ribbed sock'' - I've downloaded the pattern for future use. Another style I want to try is the basketcase pattern found on Ravelry. Time to get out the needles!

marymary86
marymary86
Intermediate
Georgia USA
Member since 7/20/08
Send Message

Date: 9/3/12 10:10 AM

I'll come back with pictures; this sounds like a fun thread.

The ribbed sock pattern is really nice. I may work that into my favorite sock formula.

I love using Judy's Magic Cast On to start a toe up sock, completing the toe, and knitting until the sock reaches my ankle bone. I make a short row heel and then finish knitting up the leg. I rib a border and make a super stretch bind off has worked really well.

Having said that, the socks in the ribbed sock pattern all look wonderful - much nicer than mine. JEF - how do you finish the toe?

The advantages to a toe up are that they fit like a glove and the toes are perfect. The ribbed bind off doesn't look especially nice until you wear the socks. It really makes a difference in putting on the socks though.

------
Mary

AliceM
star
AliceM
Advanced
Illinois USA
Member since 4/30/05
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 9/3/12 10:14 AM

I have done several pairs this year. I found an antique circular sock machine earlier this year and have been having tons of fun. Socks used to frustrate me because they took a long time to finish. Now I can make a pair in about 2 hours! And I found an entire community of other crazy people who love these machines so now I get to go to "Crank Ins"

I am going to a big one in a few weeks in eastern Illinois. I am taking several classes to learn more fun things this machine can do like mittens and lace and cable patterns. Will post pictures when I get back.

JEF
starstarstar
JEF  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Virginia USA
Member since 7/27/05
Board Moderator
Send Message

Date: 9/3/12 11:38 AM

I like the basketweave sock! I've favorited it.

I use a 3 needle bind off for the toe. May not be sophisticated but it works really well for me.

JEF

------
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." --Abraham Lincoln

marymary86
marymary86
Intermediate
Georgia USA
Member since 7/20/08
Send Message

In reply to JEF <<

Date: 9/3/12 11:50 AM

I never heard of that for the toe but it would absolutely work for me too.

I hate grafting toes; I've just never had great results.

------
Mary

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Knitting Lounge >> Socks, socks and more socks

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Register

Understanding Wool Fabrics
Understanding Wool Fabrics

Register

Vogue Patterns 2148

photo
by: sfshaza

Review
Butterick B4885

photo
by: amynxdx

Review
Candice

Candice

Buy Now
J Stern Designs Women's Tee Pattern

J Stern Designs Women's Tee Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.