SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Fabrics and more... > Buying patterns at stores ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Buying patterns at stores
Cindy in Ontario
Cindy in Ontario
Member since 4/4/11
Send Message

Date: 9/3/12 11:06 PM

I was in a new Fabricland location here in Ontario and was looking at the pattern books. I decided on a pattern and went to pick it out and was told that staff had to get the pattern for me. The clerk asked me repeatly if I was purchasing the pattern that day when asked where a certain type of fabric was for the pattern. I have never had this happen before at other Fabriclands. Is this common procedure now?

arianamaniacs
starstarstarstar
arianamaniacs  Friend of PR
Advanced
International AUSTRIA
Member since 6/11/04
Send Message

Date: 9/4/12 3:00 AM

Sounds like they've had some problems with theft. The problem is, the staff then spends more time in running around shuffling patterns back and forth, than they probably lost in patterns. :-/

Dagmar O.
Dagmar O.  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Ontario CANADA
Member since 1/26/10
Send Message

Date: 9/4/12 8:49 AM

That happens in my FabricLand too. If I ask to see a pattern so that I can look at interior information (layout, ease, construction details) or to try to match it to a fabric on the floor, they either supervise me or remove the envelope or the interior depending on which part I need to look at. It is not a very customer friendly experience especially if you are trying to compare and decide between a few patterns!

KensingtonCrab
KensingtonCrab
Advanced Beginner
South Carolina USA
Member since 2/13/09
Send Message

In reply to Cindy in Ontario <<

Date: 9/4/12 9:24 AM

They did this at G Street Fabrics in Wash. DC but that was ages ago. Not sure if they still do it.

------
Carpe diem!

sewme47
star
sewme47
Intermediate
Illinois USA
Member since 8/28/08
Send Message

Date: 9/4/12 9:47 AM

Omg, I was just at JoAnn's yesterday...I was looking at the guide sheets of a Vogue I was considering buying, and a clerk ran over and insisted that I couldn't do that! I tried to explain why it was important for me to see this information before buying.

I must say, however, that I once bought a Vogue pattern, but the tissue and guide sheets were from a cheap New Look. Someone had switched the patterns! So, I am sympathetic to the store's need to protect against theft.

------
A balanced diet is a cupcake in each hand.

quathy
star
quathy  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 6/3/06
Send Message

Date: 9/4/12 11:48 AM

I haven't had this happen to me yet, and my local JA's still lets you get everything yourself. However, when I go to the store I am appalled by the amount of open packages with missing items. I've often wondered why they can't keep this obvious shoplifting problem under control... perhaps your shop has.

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02
online now
Send Message

In reply to Cindy in Ontario <<

Date: 9/4/12 12:24 PM

This is standard operating procedure in some of the older non-chain fabric stores, but unusual (in my experience) in chain stores.

One time only in my many years of sewing, I had to open the pattern at the cutting table in the presence of an employee in order to look at the actual pattern sheet.

unfinishedprojects
starstar
unfinishedprojects  Friend of PR
Advanced
Alberta CANADA
Member since 8/26/07
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 9/4/12 12:31 PM

Yeah, they've been doing that at Fabricland for over a year now. See this discussion.

It's a real PITA, so I rarely buy patterns there any more (and they're never on sale anyways.)

marymary86
marymary86
Intermediate
Georgia USA
Member since 7/20/08
Send Message

Date: 9/4/12 12:38 PM

That's how it was when I shopped at Mary Jo's on a trip a few years ago.

------
Mary

ColorMeHome

ColorMeHome  Friend of PR
Beginner
Arizona USA
Member since 8/8/05
Send Message

Date: 9/4/12 1:39 PM

I was at JoAnn's this Labor Day Weekend in Phoenix, wanting to look at McCall's patterns because they were on sale, however, they only had one McCall's pattern book left. Somebody stole the other books. Theft effects us all.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> Buying patterns at stores

Merchants on PR

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

Lanetzliving Vintage Sewing Patterns

Vintage Sewing Patterns
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Register

Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Register

Stretch & Sew 1276

photo
by: dakotasews

Review
SewBaby Patchwork Purse Pattern

SewBaby Patchwork Purse Pattern

Buy Now
Islander Sewing Systems Men's Easy Shirt Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Men's Easy Shirt Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.