SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Sergers, Coverstitch and Blindhemmers > Babylock evolution and BLCS ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Babylock evolution and BLCS
How well does it coverstitch light knits
knitstitcher
star
knitstitcher  Friend of PR
Intermediate
North Carolina USA
Member since 8/17/10
Send Message

Date: 9/4/12 8:56 PM

I am considering one of these machines. A coverstitch is a must for me since I sew a lot with knits. I use lightweight knits a lot and am wondering how these machines handle the lighter knits. They seem to work well when I tested them in the shop but I'm hoping to get some in put from actual owners on how well they do at home on a regular basis. The evolution seems to convert quite easily to coverstitch. Any thoughts or comments from owners? Thanks.

------
Lorri
Bernina Artista 730,Babylock Journey, Babylock Evolution, Singer 201-2

clotheshorse
star
clotheshorse  Friend of PR
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 3/24/10
Send Message

In reply to knitstitcher <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 9/4/12 9:57 PM

I just got the BLCS and I do mainly light weight knits. I really like the Babylock. I have the Enlighten serger to go with it but have heard great things about the Evolution. The BLCS has handled the rayon/lycra knits, cotton knits, silk jersey and lightweight sweater knits I've done very well. Thick fabrics are no problem either. I have also tried some decorative thread and everything was perfect. I'm very impressed with the Babylocks and only wish I had gotten them sooner.

------
Viking D1, 1+, Pfaff 7570, Singer 503 Rocketeer, 66, 15-91, 301, Featherweight 6 Flock, Babylock Enlighten & CS and Pfaff Creative Performance

Sharon48
star
Sharon48  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/17/12
Send Message

Date: 9/5/12 0:59 AM

I have the Evolution and absolutely love it! I also sew on various knits and different weights of fleece and cannot say enough good things about this machine. I use the coverstitch all the time. Once you have done the set up a couple of times, it becomes quick and easy to do. Threading is sooooo easy and you don't have tension dials to mess with. It is a pleasure to work on!

------
Sewing is a passion, so relaxing and calming!

Babylock Ellisimo Gold
Babylock Evolution
Babylock Melody
Viking 190
BLCS-2 (I know, I know - but had
to have it!!)
Babylock Embellisher
Singer 401A

knitstitcher
star
Intermediate
North Carolina USA
Member since 8/17/10
Send Message

Date: 9/5/12 8:07 AM

Thank you both for your response. I am currently having issues with tunneling on my current coverstitch machine and despite all the tips and tricks I've read about nothing seems to work. I especially love the way you can chain off on the BL. Now.... To decide between the stand alone or go all out and get the evolution!

------
Lorri

sewsally
star
sewsally  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 8/18/02
Send Message

Date: 9/5/12 10:46 AM

What serger do you have now?

That should help in the decision.

If its a babylock then I would buy the stand alone BL coverstitch or the Janome.

JKimes
star
JKimes  Friend of PR
Expert/Couture
Texas USA
Member since 11/4/05
Send Message

Date: 9/5/12 11:29 AM

I have the Evolution, and agree that is is really easy to thread. I do try to organize my steps to minimize re-threading, but it's not a big deal. 2 feet you'll definitely want to get: the coverstitch foot and the clear all purpose foot. Same as the one that comes with the machine, but much easier to see what you're doing.

Juliette

------
Juliette near Austin, TX
Bernina 830LE
Bernina 350PE
Babylock Evolution
ElnaPro 905DCX

knitstitcher
star
Intermediate
North Carolina USA
Member since 8/17/10
Send Message

Date: 9/5/12 3:43 PM

Sewsally, I currently have the bernina 1150 and the janome 1000cpx. I thought I wanted the stand alone coverstitch machine when I purchased the Janome. Now I feel like I am having to have double the matching thread when I work on a project and end up having to make additional bobbins to use as my spools. This is really a PIA for me. It looks like the BL Evolution is a breeze to convert (I used to own the Viking 936 and it was HORRIBLE to convert). I considered getting just the BLCS but then thought.....what the heck....just go for the big cahuna and the wave and all the other neat stitches. I might need some enabling from my PR friends...
Has anyone had any issues with the jet air threading? I played with the store model and I had to fiddle a bit with one of the holes. It took us about 6 tries to get the thread to go through. That made me a little nervous. I'm going back Friday to play again. He's going to bring in a brand new one; fresh out of the box, for me to try. Plus he said he would price match. Is $2400 about the price range??? Oh...plus I will get that little box of 6 feet as part of some promo.
Do they make a Clear coverstitch foot? I didn't see one on the web site.
-- Edited on 9/5/12 3:54 PM --

------
Lorri

JKimes
star
JKimes  Friend of PR
Expert/Couture
Texas USA
Member since 11/4/05
Send Message

Date: 9/5/12 4:15 PM

That's what I paid for mine, though I've seen other folks getting better pricing and/or a nice set of feet included.
I haven't see a clear CS foot, but the 'regular' clear foot works great for me.
re: the threading: I've found it works best if you get the end in the port, then gently push the thread a little further before pushing the button to run it through. (I hope that makes sense.)

Juliette

------
Juliette near Austin, TX
Bernina 830LE
Bernina 350PE
Babylock Evolution
ElnaPro 905DCX

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

Date: 9/5/12 4:40 PM

I got a tremendous deal in July which I was asked not to publish. If you are serious (sounds like you are serious) when you try the brand new machine tell him that you'll take it home if he includes the Gold Standard extended warranty. Then, hold your breath and hope he goes for it. With that package; machine, feet and extended warranty, don't anticipate any financing deals. If he turns you down flat, the pricing still seems to be within the typical range. I suspect the small town dealer I purchased from has lower overhead in her rent area than many others.

The one time I had trouble with an air port was most likely an old thread issue (I really need to start dating my threads, I know a lot of them are dating me.) I finally made a thread cradle using another thread that whooshed right through.

Thank you for bringing up the issue of extra thread for the separate coverstitch machine. I hadn't thought of this. I already run off bobbins on little used colors and use variegated cones to keep the thread inventory under control.

I think the Evolution is so great that I've been thinking why not get the separate coverstitch, just for convenience. But I was trying to maintain a reasonable inventory even before I got an embroidery machine. I'll have to mull over your comments on yet more thread. Perhaps sanity trumps convenience.

When a good coupon comes along, I'll be buying the deluxe sidewinder that winds up the much larger embroidery floss bobbins. You might be interested in checking it out.

I seriously considered a Bernina serger as my Bernina dealer is fantastic and it seemed to be sensible to keep everything under one roof. So glad I didn't do that.

Looking forward to finding out what you do - more likely when as opposed to what.
-- Edited on 9/5/12 9:53 PM --

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

CSM--Carla
star
CSM--Carla  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Florida USA
Member since 1/21/06
Send Message

Date: 9/5/12 6:10 PM

I have the Evolution--do love it....AND on light knits I DO have tunnelling.

Recently I tore out a couple of hems on an ITY knit dress --and replaced them using a more narrow needle setting. I was satisfied with the outcome but was fully prepared to stabilize the hems if I needed to.

This is a wonderful serger and CS--but it is not a miracle machine.

-- Edited on 9/5/12 6:12 PM --

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sergers, Coverstitch and Blindhemmers >> Babylock evolution and BLCS

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Blueprints to Blue Jeans
Blueprints to Blue Jeans

Class Details

Online Class
Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Class Details

BurdaStyle Magazine 04-2008-116

photo
by: yummymummy...

Review
New Look 6723

photo
by: Erinnb

Review
Gracie Handbag

Gracie Handbag

More Info
Petite Plus Patterns Easy Wrap Dress

Petite Plus Patterns Easy Wrap Dress

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.