SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fabrics and more... > What kind of fabric is this? ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
What kind of fabric is this?
Heavy, textured cotton for men's peasant shirts
stirwatersblue
star
stirwatersblue
Intermediate
KS USA
Member since 12/13/08
online now
Send Message

Date: 9/5/12 0:39 AM

My husband has some RTW shirts for the Renaissance festival that he would like me to replicate. But I don't recall ever stumbling across these sorts of fabric in stores, and don't know how to search for them.

They're heavier cotton wovens--not heavy compared to a sturdy denim, of course, but certainly much heavier than a regular shirting fabric, and quite a bit heavier than the beefy linens I normally make his shirts from, and nothing like gauze or muslin. They're not twill, not osnaburg, not canvas...? I'm hoping these photos will help show the texture and weight, and that you PR fabric gurus will be able to identify them for me!

This first one, his favorite, has a crinkled texture, like a super-heavy gauze:

Here you can really tell how weighty it is:

And this one has an unusual kind of slubby waffle weave:

I'm planning a new shirt for him, and was going to use some lovely medium-weight linen in my stash, but I know he'd really prefer the thicker stuff of his RTW shirts--so it would be AWESOME if I could track something like that down!

Look familiar to anyone?
Thanks!!

------
~Gem in the prairie

Lindy Ann
Lindy Ann  Friend of PR
Advanced
KS USA
Member since 1/26/12
Send Message

In reply to stirwatersblue <<

Date: 9/5/12 9:41 AM

I love Kona Crush, all cotton, textured like your first picture. It is maybe not quite as heavy as you are looking for, but it's opaque and looks fairly substantial. Looks rustic, too. It's not very expensive and easily available.

marec
starstarstarstar
marec  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/11/08
Send Message

Date: 9/5/12 10:03 AM

whatever it's called, I love it and want some. Very 70s

------
my blog: http://kf-biblioblog.blogspot.com/
Sewing through my pattern stash-145
completed.

marymary86
marymary86
Intermediate
GA USA
Member since 7/20/08
Send Message

Date: 9/5/12 11:00 AM

shrunken gauze??

(Think of how heavy a sweater is after it gets washed and dried (in a washing machine and dryer). It's the size of a postage stamp but the fabric is extremely dense and heavy after it shrinks so much.

------
Mary

sarah in nyc

sarah in nyc
Advanced
NY USA
Member since 1/8/05
Send Message

Date: 9/5/12 11:38 AM

I think that the white shirt is un ironed heavy weight cotton gauze, the greyish shirt is made out of what might be called homespun even though it is machine loomed.
-- Edited on 9/5/12 11:39 AM --

------
sarah in nyc
www.sewnewyork.blogspot.com

jadamo00
star
jadamo00
Advanced
NY USA
Member since 3/13/06
Send Message

Date: 9/5/12 12:22 PM

Flour Sack Cotton -- and it does come with different surface textures/finishes.

I bought a few yards of that juicy crinkle stuff offen someone on eBay and I loved it. Although it's thick and sturdy, it's cool because the crinkle texture stands away from the skin the way seersucker does.

THIS MIGHT be something like what I bought.

j.

-- Edited on 9/5/12 12:33 PM --

Vireya
Vireya
Intermediate
AUSTRALIA
Member since 12/10/05
Send Message

Date: 9/6/12 2:46 AM

I've seen Indian handloom khadi cotton fabrics that look like your second example. You can find people selling it on Etsy.

ahrizel
star
ahrizel
Beginner
PA
Member since 4/22/12
Send Message

Date: 9/6/12 8:58 AM

My husband has a nearly identical shirt made out of the same kind of heavy crinkled cotton. We got it a the Pa ren faire nearly 10 years ago. The same vendor still has them, out of the same kind of fabric. We probably won't get back until October, I'll have to ask them what kind of fabric they use. The shirt wears like iron, only now has a little whole developed on the sleeve, and that's darnable. The shirt has been thrown in the trunk, forgotten about and got wet and moldy. Truly horrible looking, used bleach and bathroom cleaner! to get it white again. Wasn't kidding about the abuse:) He's going to need a new one soon and I would love to get some of the same fabric for it. If anyone finds the source, I would love to know it.
Mary

MommaMonster
MommaMonster
Member since 9/5/11
Send Message

Date: 9/6/12 9:38 AM

The second one looks like it's monks cloth.

Member since 12/31/69
Send Message

Date: 9/6/12 12:26 PM

Hi! I'm newbie here:) Not really sure what is that made from, it looks like a cotton. However it's beautiful.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> What kind of fabric is this?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Register

Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Register

Children's Corner 271: Lakelin

photo
by: Saint Nolt...

Review
J Stern Designs Ribbon Skirt Pattern

J Stern Designs Ribbon Skirt Pattern

Buy Now
Sew Liberated Simple Skinny Jeans Pattern

Sew Liberated Simple Skinny Jeans Pattern

Buy Now
PatternCompany.de 01-611

photo
by: SewRuth

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.