SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Bridal and Formalwear Sewing > She's breaking out in hives from the crepe back satin ( Moderated by MissCelie)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
She's breaking out in hives from the crepe back satin
what fabric to use for an ultra-sensitive bride?
MsKate
MsKate
Member since 3/21/09
Send Message

Date: 9/8/12 4:50 PM

Hi everyone,. My son is getting married at a local Renaissance fair, and my future daughter-in-law wants a medieval fantasy gown so I offered to make it for her. My plan was to make her a "test dress" that she could wear to the festival this year, then use what I learned to make her real dress for the wedding next year.

We picked out a crepe back bridal satin in a pink-beige color for the test dress, and after many fittings had the dress ready for her to wear today. It's lovely, and she looked like a princess in it -- until she started to breakout (she has very sensitive skin). Bottom line, she could not wear the dress today,.

I'm sure with all the expertise available on this site, there is someone who had to figure out a similar problem. What kind of fabric can I use for the dress/lining that won't aggravate my sensitive bride's skin?

marymary86
marymary86
Intermediate
Georgia USA
Member since 7/20/08
Send Message

In reply to MsKate <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 9/8/12 5:00 PM

I have a ton of allergies; my first thought is can you wash the fabric to remove the chemicals that processed it? If she can wear dry cleaned clothes, you could take it to the cleaners.

For her wedding gown, you can start by finding out what fabric she usually wears (for dressy occassions). You can make a camisole out of the intended wedding dress fabric before actually making the wedding dress.

------
Mary

MsKate
MsKate
Member since 3/21/09
Send Message

Date: 9/8/12 5:20 PM

thanks Mary. I did pre-wash the fabric before cutting the pattern, so I don't think it's chemicals. It's the rough texture of the crepe that's irritating., and possibly the polyester.

She's not a "dressy" girl, if she could she would always wear flannel pajama pants with a cotton t-shirt.

I'm thinking we will have to use cotton, at least for a lining. Would cotton sateen look okay for a wedding dress?

Would muslin or batiste make a good lining if she wants to keep the look of real satin on the outside of the dress but cottony softness on the inside?

marymary86
marymary86
Intermediate
Georgia USA
Member since 7/20/08
Send Message

In reply to MsKate <<

Date: 9/8/12 6:22 PM

I'm not advanced enough to answer your questions! I'm still trying to figure out knit tops!

I've heard raves about Susan Khajle's "Bridal Couture" book though. There are people on this board who sew wedding gowns. I know you can get some good answers. You may need to start another thread with your specific question about lining choices.

I'd love to see the dress - did you take any pictures?

------
Mary

stirwatersblue
star
stirwatersblue
Intermediate
Kansas USA
Member since 12/13/08
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Subject: Shes breaking out in hives from the crepe back satin Date: 9/8/12 6:32 PM

What's the pattern you're using for the gown? For most Renaissance-era clothing, the gown doesn't touch the skin anyway, so her chemise could be any fabric she can wear comfortably (cotton batiste or even muslin would work; hanky linen is lovely and soft, particularly after multiple washings).

I sympathize; I have excema that's aggravated by jewelry, etc, and last week my heretofore perfectly fine snood (crocheted from soft yarn) that I've been wearing for over 20 years scratched my neck and gave me a rash! Argh!

------
~Gem in the prairie

MsKate
MsKate
Member since 3/21/09
Send Message

Date: 9/8/12 7:29 PM

McCalls 4490 is the basic pattern, but I opened up the back because she wanted more of a corset look for the lacing . She also wanted a boat neck instead of a scoop neck so that's changed too.

Mary, I wanted to snap some photos but she looked too miserable. to pose.

Pinkytoo
starstarstar
Pinkytoo
Advanced
Nevada USA
Member since 6/23/06
Send Message

In reply to MsKate <<

Date: 9/9/12 10:45 AM

Quote:
It's the rough texture of the crepe that's irritating., and possibly the polyester

As someone who has had hives, I can almost bet it would be the polyester. Hives can occur in the "mosit" parts of your body - e.g. behind the knees and in the bends of the elbows and since polyester is a notoriously unbreathable fabric, it would only make the problem worse.

Have you thought about a silk crepe de chine? A lot more expensive but hey - it's her wedding dress. A lot of people don't wash silk but I do all the time, you can wash it in the same shampoo she uses on her hair to make sure the detergent isn't causing the problem.

------
Sewing is my therapy!

B

B
Intermediate
Minnesota USA
Member since 12/5/03
Send Message

Date: 9/9/12 3:08 PM

Could she try wearing samples next to her skin to see which are a problem? It is possible that other poly satins would not affect her. I love the crepe backed poly satin from http://www.voguefabricsstore.com/
I would do the same with washed silk samples.

------
Janome serger 634D, Brother PC6000, Singer 500A, Kenmore Mini-Ultra, vintage Bernina 600, White Rotary treadle, New Homestead A VS treadle

dragonzflame
dragonzflame
Intermediate
NEW ZEALAND
Member since 6/9/11
Send Message

Date: 9/9/12 7:50 PM

Something you could maybe think about doing is using something cottony and natural for the shell of the dress, and then adding in an overlay of some kind. I don't know anything much about Renaissance costuming, but I think if you used a cotton sateen or something you could drape a light satin overlay on top, and the cotton would hardly show at all.

Otherwise, you could underline with lawn or something (feels SO nice!) but I don't know if that would help the unbreathability of the polyester.

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

In reply to MsKate <<

Date: 9/9/12 8:16 PM

Has anyone suggested yet that she try on what you have made over two t shirts? And, then, if she has no problem with that, over one t shirt?

It would give you an idea as to where to start with a lining. And, of course, you'd still want to work with a different fabric for the dress. But, you've got the test dress, might as well test it to the max.

Has she shared her detergent/softener combination with you?

And, wondering for later if she has had any success with Glide type products for seams that are particularly irritating. Could be that you would be able to make a dress. Then, make a slip with the seam allowances inside out (away from her skin) and perhaps just a cut edge finish at the neckline. And, then, a glide type product where just a bit of the dress neckline might touch her skin.

Best wishes, you're a peach! One of our sons had issues with poly, one with cotton and all of us with most detergents - anything with perfume or covering scents for sure. It's a challenge when it is new to you.

Oh, and with the medieval fantasy gown, would there be a way to tie in a bit of cotton in the trim in the design. If a safe for the skin fabric could be sparingly incorporated then you could possibly cause the neckline edge of the slip to spill over the edge of the gown to fully protect the skin.

And, of course, congratulations!
-- Edited on 9/9/12 8:17 PM --

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Bridal and Formalwear Sewing >> She's breaking out in hives from the crepe back satin

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Altering Jackets
Altering Jackets

Register

Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Register

Silhouette Patterns 1910

photo
by: CMae

Review
McCall's 6571

photo
by: loti

Review
Sew Chic Knapsack Pattern (ln100)

Sew Chic Knapsack Pattern (ln100)

Buy Now
You Sew Girl Evening Bag Pattern

You Sew Girl Evening Bag Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.