SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Miscellaneous > Alcohol intolerance ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Alcohol intolerance
Anyone experience this?
ryan's mom
starstarstar
ryan's mom
Advanced
Member since 11/30/04
Send Message

Date: 9/8/12 6:57 PM

First of all, I'm not a big drinker. I enjoy a glass of wine or maybe a margarita on a Saturday night. And not every Saturday night either. Sometimes I go for months without a drop. Many years ago in college I drank a little more than I should have a few times lol. Never had a problem with any type of drink.

Since June I've developed a problem with my Saturday night drink. I had a glass of Red Cat (a sweet wine, since I don't bother with dry wine. I loathe dry wines.) I only buy Red Cat because if I'm going to waste calories on a glass of wine it better be a good wine. After my glass, I developed a bad stomach ache, a quicker heartbeat (not racing though), and a stuffy nose.

No drinks for two weeks, then I made myself a margarita from the pre-made Jose Cuervo from the liquor store mixed with ice. Same problem, except that this time I vomited some of it up. Just one glass.

Last week I had a beer. Nothing. Tonight I had almond milk on ice with a little Kahlua. Bam. Same problem but no vomiting, although I almost felt like I would.

I've been clean eating since January. Virtually no flour and no table sugar or processed foods containing wheat or sugar. Just lots of homemade things and for sweetener I use agave, coconut nectar, or stevia.

My two daughters follow the same type of eating, especially my oldest who prepares her own meals in her apartment at college. She said she felt extreme stomach upset after eating a pancake for breakfast last week with her friends. She thinks it might be the sugar overload that is causing problems because we are not used to it anymore.

Maybe. I haven't been tested for celiac and never had any problems with wheat-based products (although my three siblings have tested positive, only one with definite symptoms). On a few occasions I've added whole wheat flour along with almond flour (or other flours) with wheat germ and flax for my husband's toasting bread. Occasionally I'll have a piece if I feel my body could use some extra carbs but that's maybe once every week or two. No problems there. Before January of this year, I ate wheat products virtually every day.

I'm not sure what the problem is, but of course the obvious solution is the elimination of all drinks with alcohol that cause me problems. That is definitely not a problem. (Eliminating popcorn would be a different story lol!). Just wondering if anyone else ever had symptoms like this and what they found the culprit to be. Like I said, my oldest daughter thinks it's sugar overload, but it could be a myriad of things added to alcoholic drinks like sulfites, artificial colors, among other things.

The only trigger for my occasional problem appears to be certain alcoholic drinks. And luckily, that is a very easy fix!

------
Big 4 Pattern size 12, RTW bottom: 6, RTW jacket 8, RTW top (no size fits me well!)
Measurements: 34 HB/36 FB (34C bra)/27.5/36 (and working hard to keep it that way.)
Machines: Sewing: Elna 760, vintage Kenmore Model 33 (1967), Janome Gem Gold 3. Sergers: Babylock Imagine and Babylock Enlighten. Embroidery Only: Janome 300E. Coverstitch: Janome CP1000. Straight Stitch: Janome 1600P.

If you think your sewing is better than everyone else's around here, get out of my way b****. I hate sewing snobs.

My blog: www.phatchickdesigns.blogspot.com

HawkeMorningStar7
starstarstarstar
HawkeMorningStar7  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 6/21/05
Send Message

Date: 9/8/12 8:08 PM

Hello Ryan's Mom
The only thing I can think of is that when one eats really healthily and "clean" like you have the body becomes way more sensitive to irritants to the liver ie alcohol.
Something along similar lines happened to me. I got done doing a three week cleanse, basically fruits, veges and the last week introduced back in organic grass fed meats, eggs chicken fish.
Then I added back in some dairy.Organic grass fed and it was kefir and yogurt. OH BOY did my nose stuff up, run and sneeze attacks. So hypersensitive to it now while before I could eat some here and there and really just a little stuffy.
I think when on eats a constant bombardment of toxic load to liver ie white refined , highly procerssed foods that acute sensitivity that you and I experienced becomes more numbed.
haha I am very sensitive to alcohol 1 glass of kombucha tea and I am really feeling it and it has like less than 1% of alchohol in it

------
.....Behold, a wonder did appear;
Amazement was my bliss.......

solosmocker
starstarstar
solosmocker
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 1/23/06
Send Message

Date: 9/8/12 8:34 PM

Have you had gall bladder surgery? I have had similar issues since I had my gall bladder out about a year ago. I get very very sick if I have a complete drink, never mind two. I used to enjoy a glass of wine every night but no more. Like you I rarely drink now knowing that it could make me quite sick. I did a bit of research and from what I read this is not that uncommon with those who have had gall bladder surgery.

------
http://lasewist.blogspot.com/

Heidi Cooper
star
Heidi Cooper  Friend of PR
California USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to HawkeMorningStar7 <<

Date: 9/8/12 8:40 PM

I think Hawke is spot on!

I had allergy testing @2 years ago and found out I was "Highly reactive" to Yeast (brewers and bakers), mozzarella and cottage cheese. There were a couple of other things but since I never ate them, I have forgotten what they were

You can image that leaves out a pizza and beer night!

I had suspected the brewers yeast and since I have been avoiding it for 2 years now the smallest sip of any malt beverage (beer, cider, bottled cocktails, etc) I immediately get congested, tight chest, swollen throat, flushed and have to take a Benadryl. Wine also affects me like this, so I can only imagine that yeast must form in the fermenting. THAT really sucks as we are 20min. from Napa and I love a good wine

I have also been happily deluding myself re: the bakers yeast, noooo bread doesn't bother me. Until I stopped eating it for just a couple of weeks and then had some. I realized how badly it really was affecting me, just in a different way. Severe stomach issues and surprisingly Pain, lots and lots of pain, akin to a Fibromyalgia Flare, which I have had pretty much under control for 4 years!

I have been eating really cleanly for several years now, and every time something like MSG sneaks in, I feel it in a big way. The longer I go without, the more severe the reaction.

------
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” -Mahatma Gandhi
“ Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.” -Mahatma Gandhi

Now Blogging at http://sewexotic.blogspot.com/

Franksdottir

Franksdottir  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/25/08
Send Message

In reply to ryan's mom <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 9/8/12 8:59 PM

I am not a doctor, but it sort of sounds to me as if you are having allergic reactions. You had no trouble with the beer, and beer is 6% alcohol, so it probably is not the alcohol itself, but other things in the liquid. (Wine is 12-15% alcohol usually, unless it is fortified.)

You have allergies in the family, I think, one of the boys is allergic to cats? One of your siblings has celiac problems, two others have at the least celiac sensitivities. It is not surprising to me that you would have some signs of it.

Frankly, I don't think it is worth your time or energy trying to figure out exactly what it is that is upsetting you. I can say that, of course, because I am not a big drinker, either. I like to drink, but if I could never drink alcohol again I would never miss it. I say, spend your calories on some good, dark chocolate instead.

Of course, if you don't want to eat chocolate, you can send it to me. Keep the alcohol, send the chocolate.

------
Barb

Changma
star
Changma  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
New York USA
Member since 2/20/12
Send Message

Date: 9/8/12 9:08 PM

Sulphur allergy?

Changma
star
Changma  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
New York USA
Member since 2/20/12
Send Message

Date: 9/8/12 9:23 PM

Sulphur allergy?

Forgive my spelling.
-- Edited on 9/8/12 9:25 PM --

Heidi Cooper
star
Heidi Cooper  Friend of PR
California USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to Changma <<

Date: 9/8/12 10:30 PM

Ohhh interesting thought!

I am HIGHLY allergic to sulfa drugs, almost killed me once, but I didn't think it was that close to sulfur in food...

------
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” -Mahatma Gandhi
“ Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.” -Mahatma Gandhi

Now Blogging at http://sewexotic.blogspot.com/

Changma
star
Changma  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
New York USA
Member since 2/20/12
Send Message

In reply to Heidi Cooper <<

Date: 9/8/12 10:36 PM

I don't think they are related-I am allergic to sulfa drugs, but not sulfur (thanks for the spelling). My aunt is allergic to sulfur in wine, etc.

The interesting thing about allergies is that they can manifest at any time.
-- Edited on 9/8/12 10:39 PM --

Sulfites
-- Edited on 9/8/12 11:16 PM --

dresscode

dresscode  Friend of PR
Advanced
Florida USA
Member since 7/28/04
Send Message

Date: 9/8/12 11:12 PM

Sugar in drinks accelerates alcohol. (sugar carries the alcohol though your system faster than alcohol alone on dry wines or non-sugary drinks). Explains a lot of upset tummies....more due to sugar than the alcohol.

(learned this from a discussion from a "mixologist" on Dr. Radio. It was an interesting discussion.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Alcohol intolerance

Merchants on PR

Budo Bear Designs

Asian Designs
Web site

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Bust Adjustments
Bust Adjustments

Register

Put it on the Bias
Put it on the Bias

Register

BurdaStyle Magazine 12-2012-112

photo
by: squirrelly...

Review
You Sew Girl Tulip Dress Pattern

You Sew Girl Tulip Dress Pattern

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop Deja Vu Wrap Pattern

Sewing Workshop Deja Vu Wrap Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.