SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Creative Sewing > Who's sewing Halloween costumes? ( Moderated by Lynnelle)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Who's sewing Halloween costumes?
Whatcha making?
NhiHuynh
starstarstar
NhiHuynh
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 1/4/11
Send Message

Date: 9/9/12 11:02 PM

I was thinking I should start thinking about Halloween costumes. Lo and behold, my brother asks me yesterday if I'd make a Cowardly Lion costume for my newborn nephew. I never give up a chance to sew for family. Last year I made a Superman costume for my other nephew. Oh yes, I sew for my dog also. "Kiss me, I'm a prince" frog costume. French musketeer costume. We would have been the 3 Musketeers except I was too lazy to make myself and my bf matching costumes.

Anyone working on costumes yet? What are you making? What will be popular this year?
-- Edited on 9/12/12 3:17 AM --

------
I finally have a blog. www.detectivehoundstooth.com :)

stirwatersblue
star
stirwatersblue
Intermediate
KS USA
Member since 12/13/08
Send Message

Subject: Whos sewing Halloween costumes? Date: 9/10/12 0:57 AM

Ohmigosh, your basset is ADORABLE!! How does he do for fittings? Mine (coonhounds) aren't that patient. :D

Alas, I'm typically burned out on costuming by Hallowe'en, sadly enough, because our Renaissance fair season is Labor Day to Columbus Day. But it's my favorite holiday, and the costumes are the best part!

Can't wait to see everyone's projects. :)

------
~Gem in the prairie

NhiHuynh
starstarstar
NhiHuynh
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 1/4/11
Send Message

Subject: Whos sewing Halloween costumes? Date: 9/10/12 2:05 AM

stirwatersblue, your costumes are amazing. I see why you're exhausted with all the beautiful details. The costumes I make are bordering crafts with all the gluing involved.

I walk our Basset 2-3 miles everyday so he's pretty worn out afterwards. He's annoyed that I'm trying stuff on him because I'm disturbing his sleep but he's too tired to do anything about it.

------
I finally have a blog. www.detectivehoundstooth.com :)

gramma b
star
gramma b
USA
Member since 7/25/08
Send Message

Date: 9/10/12 8:51 AM

Try and make things they can use all year.
Last year my little GD was Strawberry Shortcake. I made the polka-dot skirt, RTW T with applique, and hat fashioned from an online "newsboy" cap pattern. She wears the first two for an outfit now and the hat for dress-up play. Another one got a Jesse-Toy Story-outfit.
My friend made a tiger costume for her grandson, which is now his favorite around-the-house playsuit and PJ's, complete with long tail.

lisalu
star
lisalu
Advanced Beginner
GA USA
Member since 10/5/08
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 9/10/12 9:29 AM

Already done with one of them

(going to add a store bought Power Rangers mask)

Now about to get started on

Going to make Snow White for the 2 year old and Cinderella for the baby!

------
Jim (Singer 301), Margaret (Singer 201-2), Betty (Singer 15-91), Bud (Singer 503), Kathy (Singer 221), Liz (Singer 221 Centennial Edition)
http://runningstitches-mkb.blogspot.com/

couturemom
star
couturemom
Advanced
NC USA
Member since 7/19/11
Send Message

Subject: Whos sewing Halloween costumes? Date: 9/10/12 10:49 AM

We do a family theme (kids are 4 & 6), which I hope to continue for many years. One year I hope to do Gone with the Wind so we can wear hoop skirts. Not a project to start in Sept., though.

We're thinking of doing Madeline, so I won't be using a 'costume' pattern. My 4-yr old Madeline will be Madeline and her sister will be another orphan, so they'll have blue dresses with white collars and yellow hats (guess I'll have to learn how to make a hat). My husband will be Pepito and I'll be Miss Clavel.

ConnieBJ
starstar
ConnieBJ  Friend of PR
Advanced
ON
Member since 12/31/03
Contest Committee
Send Message

Subject: Whos sewing Halloween costumes? Date: 9/10/12 12:08 PM

If any of you are looking for a reason to procrastinate....the Costume Contest runs from Oct 1 - 31. Just remember you can muslin before the contest begins, but the fabric and pattern (if you are using one) may not meet until the contest starts.
I just finished a pirate costume for a party we attended on the weekend. I guess I will will be wearing it for Halloween too!

------
Connie Bontje

http://www.couturesmith.com
Twitter: Couturesmith
Facebook: Connie Bontje
Desperately trying to keep ahead of my pattern, fabric and dressform collection!

ahrizel
star
ahrizel
Beginner
PA
Member since 4/22/12
Send Message

Date: 9/10/12 12:43 PM

I'm doing the provincial Belle outfit from Beauty and the Beast, the blue and white one. There is no pattern for this So, I'm improvising. First Burda 8218 for the shawl collar blouse. Then the dress which might be McCalls 6550 altered for a square neckline. The apron I feel confidant I can manage But I've been wanting to make this young lady the Belle outfit for years, she looks the part. I may get brave and enter this into the costume contest, since I won't have a chance to start this until October anyway.
Mary

Member since 12/31/69
Send Message

Date: 9/10/12 12:46 PM

That's cute costume. Excited to see what anyone can contribute.

ahrizel
star
ahrizel
Beginner
PA
Member since 4/22/12
Send Message

Date: 9/10/12 12:47 PM

I just reread the post about the costume contest. I can muslin this now? So long as I don't start cutting and sewing the actual costume until Oct 1st, it's valid for the contest? That would be much better, that blouse and dress bodice are going to need a muslin anyway. Wasn't sure, never tried a contest before.
Mary

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Creative Sewing >> Who's sewing Halloween costumes?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Altering Jackets
Altering Jackets

Register

Fit the Tee to a T
Fit the Tee to a T

Register

Butterick B5658

photo
by: Sharon1952

Review
StyleArc Wallis Pant

photo
by: Sigrid.

Review
ZIPPERS - A downloadable Book by Shannon Gifford

ZIPPERS - A downloadable Book by Shannon Gifford

Buy Now
Sew Chic Clara Bow Apron Pattern (ln102)

Sew Chic Clara Bow Apron Pattern (ln102)

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.