Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Advanced Search
Tags
New to PR?
Sewing Machines
Compare Sewing Machines
Sewing Machine & Serger Reviews
Embroidery Machines
Sewing Reviews
Sewing Patterns
Review Gallery
Sewing Books
Sewing Supplies
Sewing Websites
Sewing Stores
Sewing Class Reviews
Sewing Expo Reviews
Sewing Tips & Techniques
Sewing Podcasts
NEW!Fabric Glossary
Sewing Review Requests Add a Review Request
Your Account
Edit Profile
My Page
Favorites
Wish List
Pattern Catalog
Notifications
Friends of PR
Join Friends of PR
Find a member
Deal Corner
Photo Album
Calendar
Chat Room
Chat Schedule
Chat Transcripts
Sewing Classifieds
Add a Classified
Sewing Contests
enter contest
contest report
contest gallery
Favorite Links
reviews with comments
merchant gallery
article archive
newsletter archive
Craft Resources
contact info
shipping rates
returns & refunds
testimonials

Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
You are not logged in. Login here.

Message Board > Miscellaneous > closet cleaning question ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
closet cleaning question
blessedtosew
star
blessedtosew
Intermediate
AL USA
Member since 4/16/08
Login to reply to this post

Date: 9/10/12 1:39 PM

I have been sewing for 13 years, but seriously sewing for myself for about the past 5 years. It seems that I am getting faster and faster (I guess that comes with practice), but with faster and faster sewing comes more garments. I put out about one garment per week. My closet has reached critical mass. I have had to take over an unused bathroom and I have things hanging in my sewing room --Hoarders, anyone? This past weekend I identified 4 garments (that I made) that I could give away, and I did so. I did not wear them at all this past summer season, always choosing something else over them. I have identified 4 more garments that I made I can give away, and I am donating them. I am so afraid, though, that down the road I will wish I hadn't done so. However, I MUST get rid of some stuff, because I don't plan on stopping sewing and I have no desire to sew for anyone else --selfish sewer that I am
How do any of you decide what to donate and what to keep? I know that I need to give more away.
-- Edited on 9/10/12 1:43 PM --

loti
starstarstar
loti  Friend of PR
Advanced
FL USA
Member since 5/27/04

In reply to blessedtosew <<

Date: 9/10/12 1:48 PM

I've done the same thing, those things that do not get worn get donated. You might look to see if the things that get worn regularly are showing signs of wear. Slowly I've gotten rid of some of the worn items, and am getting ready to do it again. I started a thread for closet cleaning somewhere....Declutter thread

------
"A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous.
Coco Chanel

Stash Sewn in 2011 148.5 Yds
Stash Sewn in 2012.... counting...

http://adonising.blogspot.com

minggiddylooloo
star
minggiddylooloo  Friend of PR
Intermediate
VA USA
Member since 5/17/05

Date: 9/10/12 1:52 PM

Try not to think about the possibility of regretting what you threw (or will throw) out and instead revel in the fact that you can always make more! Maybe invite a good friend over to have a second opinion on what goes and what stays.

------
I'm finally a blogger!
sewming.blogspot.com

sewsally
star
sewsally  Friend of PR
Intermediate
WA USA
Member since 8/18/02

thumbsup 1 member likes this.
Date: 9/10/12 1:58 PM

Take photographs of what you make so at least you will have that for memories if you give the garment away.

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TX USA
Member since 4/1/08

In reply to blessedtosew <<

Date: 9/10/12 2:32 PM

It is easier for me to give/donate when I know the items will be used or appreciated and when I know that there will not be a middleman pocketing a profit when it is our intention to give.

You may not know that some of the collection storefronts pay a very small percentage, 5% seems to be around normal, to the nonprofit group to carry the name.

Your creations are so current and appealing. You might feel fantastic about working with a group that reclothes women for interviews and new jobs. Or finding an organization that works with struggling young moms who might appreciate a nice dress for dating, church or an office job.

You may also find an outreach program at a church in a neighboring community.
Or, you may get a kick out of refashioning some of the fabric into beautiful children's clothing.

After Allison we were stunned to hear that for most folks help consisted of having a mop, bucket, sponge and some bleach delivered to their door. Oh, I think that little bit might have made me hysterical. I cannot imagine the joy you could share if someone in similar circumstances received something of yours, fresh and ready to wear to work. Allison put the exclamation point on our desire to get our heart and donations directly to the folks in need.

I know that you will find an outlet to share your creations. It will more than triple the fun you have fashioning your garments.
-- Edited on 9/10/12 5:12 PM --

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

marymary86
marymary86
Intermediate
GA USA
Member since 7/20/08

Date: 9/10/12 2:35 PM

I read somewhere to reverse your hangers (so that the hook is facing outward toward you instead of facing the closet wall). Then every time you wear a garment, place the hanger back in its normal position.

Over time, you'll have a good visual on what you are actually wearing (and not wearing).

------
Mary

unfinishedprojects
starstar
unfinishedprojects  Friend of PR
Advanced
AB CANADA
Member since 8/26/07

In reply to sewsally <<

Date: 9/10/12 7:31 PM

Quote: sewsally
Take photographs of what you make so at least you will have that for memories if you give the garment away.

...and put those photos in a pattern review along with any changes/alterations you made. If you ever regret getting rid of the garment, you can always sew another one.
PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
OH USA
Member since 12/3/06

Date: 9/10/12 8:09 PM

Inventory and then put those you "think" you may regret giving away in space saver bags and slide them under the bed.......don't tell me.......no room under there either!

------
I dont give them Hell, I just tell the truth about them and they think its Hell. Harry Truman

"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

purplebouquet
star
purplebouquet
Advanced
AR USA
Member since 11/16/05

thumbsup 2 members like this.
Date: 9/11/12 11:20 AM

Stitch one, ditch one.

Claudia

tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
BC CANADA
Member since 7/23/07

Date: 9/11/12 5:44 PM

For me it is the "don't donate just yet" system. Things I am considering donating go into a box or bag that usually collects things for several months. Before I actually take them in, I go through what is in the box and if I have regrets, I can remove the item. This very rarely happens because I can tell if the item has been out of sight and out of mind for 4 - 6 months and i haven't gone looking for it to wear, it is time for it to go.

------
http://bgballroom.wordpress.com to follow the progress on my next ballgown.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> closet cleaning question

Merchants on PR
Budo Bear Designs
Asian Designs
Web site
Patterns from the Past
vintage sewing patterns
Deals!
Elliott Berman Textiles
Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!
Gwyn Hug
Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!
Lanetzliving Vintage Sewing Patterns
Vintage Sewing Patterns
Deals!

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Online Sewing Classes
Clone Your Favorite Garment
Fee: $19.99
(Regular $49.00)
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Online Sewing Classes
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Fee: $19.99
(Regular $49.00)
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Ottobre Woman Magazine 02-2009-12
photo
Review by 21wale on 12/1/11
Read Review

Kat Strapless Dress
Kat Strapless Dress

Details
Price: $8.50
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Peek-A Boo Baby Toy Basics Digital Pattern ( Size one size )
Peek-A Boo Baby Toy Basics Digital Pattern ( Size one size )

Details
Price: $7.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Self Drafted Pattern 123171-1000 Self Drafted
photo
Review by maedchen on 6/7/09
Read Review

Sewing Workshop Tribeca Shirt Pattern
Sewing Workshop Tribeca Shirt Pattern

Details
Price: $22.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Sew Chic Phantom Jacket and Pant Pattern (ln1106)
Sew Chic Phantom Jacket and Pant Pattern (ln1106)

Details
Price: $18.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Kwik Sew 3053 Pattern
Kwik Sew 3053 Pattern

Details
Price: $11.49
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Vogue 8489 Pattern ( Size 18-20-22-24 )
Vogue 8489 Pattern ( Size 18-20-22-24 )

Details
Price: $22.50
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Subscribe to PR Message Board Feed Subscribe to the PR Message Board Feed Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe at NewsGator Online Subscribe at Bloglines Add to MyMSN