SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Fashion Styles and Trends > Good tights ( Moderated by Lynnelle)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Good tights
Where to find them?
HarrietHomeowner

HarrietHomeowner  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 1/13/10
Send Message

Date: 9/11/12 9:00 AM

Here it is fall again, and I would love to find some comfortable tights so I can wear skirts. NOT control top, breathable fabric, soft and stretchy waist, enough length in the legs so they don't end up around my knees within an hour.

I'm technically a plus size with long legs. When I buy them by height and weight, the waists are too tight. When I go up a size, they fall off of me and/or are too short. I actually always cut the waists in all my tights and pantyhose anyway, so I can work around that, but the other things? Don't know where to look. Just My Size used to sell a really nice cotton tight that was perfect, but of course they no longer do.

I'm willing to spend a bit more than you would at the drug store, but once you buy these and try them on you can't return them, of course, so I'm hesitant to drop $20 or more a pair.

marymary86
marymary86
Intermediate
Georgia USA
Member since 7/20/08
Send Message

In reply to HarrietHomeowner <<

Date: 9/11/12 10:22 AM

YouLookFab.com had a recommendation for tights a few years ago; I bought them and loved them.

You might try commenting on her blog with a request. She has lots of affiliate links with things to buy so it's in her interest to make a good recommendation.

I stopped reading her blog for a while but my bet is that she'll recommend tights again anyway. She works as a styling consultant and often knows specialty picks (shoes for fussy feet seem to be one of her favorites).

------
Mary

Pinkytoo
starstarstar
Pinkytoo
Advanced
Nevada USA
Member since 6/23/06
Send Message

Date: 9/11/12 10:43 AM

Hue brand. Sold at Macy's and I'm sure other places. They wear like iron - I have a couple of pair that lasted all last winter and are still fine!

Edited to add the link
Hue tights at Macy's online
-- Edited on 9/11/12 10:48 AM --

------
Sewing is my therapy!

HarrietHomeowner

HarrietHomeowner  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 1/13/10
Send Message

Date: 9/11/12 11:10 AM

Pinkytoo, I've seen those, but what is the sizing like? Even though I fall into the weight/height limits, IME if they're not shaped for a plus-sized midsection they're going to be pinchy on me. I hate, hate, hate having a tight band around my waist. I'd rather wear knee socks and look like a dork. :)

fabrictherapy
fabrictherapy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Georgia USA
Member since 12/22/10
Send Message

Date: 9/11/12 11:18 AM

Being Plus size and super tall, I have found a few pairs at Roamans online, and Nordstrom, but I do not remember the brands

marymary86
marymary86
Intermediate
Georgia USA
Member since 7/20/08
Send Message

Date: 9/11/12 11:25 AM

I started poking around Amazon too as I think the reviews are really helpful. I found some microfiber tights that were well reviewed all around (including a good review from someone who described herself as tall and with "some girth" (her words not mine).

I need to buy some tights too!

------
Mary

Pinkytoo
starstarstar
Pinkytoo
Advanced
Nevada USA
Member since 6/23/06
Send Message

Date: 9/11/12 1:02 PM

The HUE tights come in a lot of sizes, I noticed there is a greater variety of sizes at Amazon.com than at Macy's. I'm not plus-sized tall but I do have an *ahem* ample midsection (PLEASE don't make me put my measurements in writing! LOL) and I can wear them all day comfortably. I think I usually get the size 4. They make them NOT control top so that's probably why they are not "pinchy."

------
Sewing is my therapy!

Lady_Mame
star
Lady_Mame
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 3/11/07
Send Message

Date: 9/11/12 1:15 PM

Have you considered, instead of tights, doing a long sock with a sock garter belt? It may be much more comfortable for you -- check out Sock Dreams. The sock-specific garter belts are in their accessories, and they have oodles and oodles of long socks, all of which are tested by plus sized testors and get notes on fit/shape/et al.

------
Needle Needle Straight and Slim, Dust and Sweep the House for Him! --Grimm Fairy Tales

Andi
star
Andi
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 9/11/12 2:44 PM

Land's end makes the best tights I have ever worn! I am 5'7" and fluffy around the middle and lower half.

MissMichelleMaria
MissMichelleMaria
Beginner
Member since 11/27/09
Send Message

Date: 9/11/12 3:17 PM

You may like to try dance tights, very durable (I take class in mine every day and machine wash on gentle after every use) and not too expensive. Most brands come in black and various tans as well as the usual pinks. My own favourites are Prima Soft and Grishko, Danskin is another widely loved brand. I would maybe stay away from Capezio because they are a little short in the legs and sometimes itchy, but everyone's different. I get mine at Discount Dance Supply (www.discountdance.com) for between $10 to $12 per pair.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fashion Styles and Trends >> Good tights

Merchants on PR

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

Lanetzliving Vintage Sewing Patterns

Vintage Sewing Patterns
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Altering Pants
Altering Pants

Register

Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Register

Simplicity 2211

photo
by: meleliza

Review
Favorite Things The Classic Shirt Pattern

Favorite Things The Classic Shirt Pattern

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop Plaza Jacket & Pants Pattern

Sewing Workshop Plaza Jacket & Pants Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.