SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Patterns and Notions > My Fiskars just fell on my foot point down. OUCH ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
My Fiskars just fell on my foot point down. OUCH
anybody ever have this happen?
Rosews13
Rosews13  Friend of PR
Advanced
California USA
Member since 1/17/10
Send Message

Date: 9/12/12 7:25 PM

I have "spring loaded" Fiskars scissors for arthritic hands which I love. They stay open when finished cutting and I only close them at the end of the day....if I remember. Today my arm must have bumped them and they landed on my foot open and point down.They landed on the inside part of my middle toe and sliced a half inch gash in my toe. So painful. Must have been right to the bone because what else is there between the first and second joints except skin and bone? I hobbled to the bathroom and the blood was dripping. I kept dabbing with kleenex and now am sitting with leg elevated and a wad of kleenex stuffed between my toes to stop the bleeding. Got the antibiotic cream and bandaid ready but scared to look. Ok, just looked and the bleeding stopped but still OUCH! I hope I don't hold it against my favorite scissors.

Anybody ever had a weird sewing accident??
Oh ma-a-an, still bleeding.
-- Edited on 9/12/12 7:45 PM --

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

In reply to Rosews13 <<

Date: 9/12/12 7:58 PM

Rotary cutter for me, now I'm insane about rotary cutter safety and closing and 'locking' everything when I put it down - far away from table edges.

The worst? My fifth grade son (years ago) called from the next room that he had stepped on a pin but not to worry, he pulled it out. I was doing something with the youngest and idiotically did not check it immediately.

No problem for four months. A bump appeared at the side of his ankle (migrated) and he started experiencing pain at the same time. The first doc drove it in further. The second xrayed, which showed the corroding head of a needle and subsequently performed surgery to remove it as it had migrated further into the joint.

Darned nasty when it was pulled out. The first of our visits to our 'family' orthopedic.

Thankfully, he healed and that was the end of that. Until just now I hadn't connected that it was in the room where our huge sewing group met. Nonetheless, it was a carpeted room and I should have been more diligent.

I always insert my needles in something when not sewing. As an added precaution I threw away all of my plain straight pins and started using the ones with beaded heads. Now I am intrigued by the flower head pins with the more visible doodad on the end. Does anyone use those for garment sewing?

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

andye
andye  Friend of PR
Beginner
Virginia USA
Member since 5/9/09
Send Message

Date: 9/12/12 8:22 PM

are you using plastic or glasshead pins?

------
Bernina B330
Feet: 1,2,3,3A,4,5,7,8,10,13,16,18,20, 29,32,35,37,50,64,70,71,82,85,86, 92

mssewcrazy
star
mssewcrazy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Mississippi USA
Member since 3/4/03
Send Message

Date: 9/12/12 8:27 PM

Now something else to worry about. I have worn birkenstocks of every color until a few weeks ago as I did something similar at the start of summer by dropping a can of spaghetti sauce from a high shelf. Not being able to stand dress shoes was bad enough but no summer pedicures is also the pits, No one wants to do your toes when you have one that is bandaged nor later when it is still black and blue and the nail is damaged, It is finally better but still isn't back to normal. As bad as I am about dropping stuff I guess I better watch out in the sewing room after hearing this. Hope the toe isn't as bad as you think but it sounds as if you did a number on it.

ChristineX
star
ChristineX
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 11/28/05
Send Message

Date: 9/12/12 9:33 PM

Ouch! I'm sorry that happened. Like mssewcrazy I had a can dropped on my foot once, though, and that really hurt.

Rosews13
Rosews13  Friend of PR
Advanced
California USA
Member since 1/17/10
Send Message

Date: 9/12/12 9:41 PM

Thanks for the sympathy...bandaged but still oozing blood.

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

In reply to andye <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 9/12/12 10:02 PM

Andye, plastic, so I have to be careful with the iron.

Rosews13, oooh, we can be such a nuisance to ourselves. What do you think, a doctor or something if it keeps bleeding.

Reread you posts, sounds like my rotary cutter finger cut, right up to the bone. I squeezed it as hard as I could and held it while hubbie drove to the ER where they stitched it up.

When I first saw your post I was thinking between the toes, not between the segments of the toe. Consider getting to the ER. It would seem like even if it starts to knit that it will break open every time you try to walk on it.

And, you might need a tetanus shot.

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

Coconuts
star
Coconuts  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Michigan USA
Member since 12/2/09
Send Message

Date: 9/12/12 10:08 PM

Seconding the ER suggestion!

Marie367
Marie367  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 5/28/11
Send Message

In reply to Rosews13 <<

Date: 9/12/12 10:14 PM

So sorry about your toe! I have sewed my finger (that was when I was a teenager on my mom's Singer), cut things (fingers etc) and stepped on needles and burned myself when the iron fell on my arm (ouch). It is the hazards to sewing-LOL.
Now I think you should blame the scissors-get rid of those bad behaving scissors and get some of those Kai that everyone was raving about on here. I am sure if you dropped them they would miss your foot and land softly on the floor (my attempt at some humor-laughter is the best medicine).
Now on a more serious note-is your tetanus shot up to date? I know mine needs updated and I think about it once in awhile but I haven't bothered to get a booster yet.

Rosews13
Rosews13  Friend of PR
Advanced
California USA
Member since 1/17/10
Send Message

Date: 9/12/12 11:54 PM

Thanks everybody.My tetanus is up to date thank goodness. I am going to wait until morning and see if elevating it while sleeping will help. Right after it happened I sat down and elevated it for a half hour but then went back to sewing...I have a dance costume deadline...Being that my toes are the lowest to the ground than any other part of me. that probably didn't help. So tomorrow I will decide how to proceed re: Dr.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Patterns and Notions >> My Fiskars just fell on my foot point down. OUCH

Merchants on PR

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Nature's Fabrics

Natural & Organic Fabrics
Deals!

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Style Arc sewing dress patterns

Patterns That Fit
Web site

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Create a Jacket Muslin
Create a Jacket Muslin

Register

Fit the Tee to a T
Fit the Tee to a T

Register

New Look 6515

photo
by: Sheila457

Review
Simplicity 9025

photo
by: lauramae

Review
SewBaby Hug-Me Bibs Pattern

SewBaby Hug-Me Bibs Pattern

Buy Now
Full Bust DVD

Full Bust DVD

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.