SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Pattern Modifications, Design Changes & Pattern Drafting > New Look 6723

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
New Look 6723
NOW IT'S TOO TIGHT!!! Sleeves or bodice adjustment???
pieraci2
star
pieraci2  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 11/16/09
Send Message

Date: 9/13/12 8:08 AM

Hi all you wonderful PR people out there. I did finally get my mojo back to sew...I put it down for awhile after a failure or two...but HEY! I've been through worse than this and this is certainly not breaking me!
Anyway, I chose New Look 6723...read all the reviews...seemed easy enough...Ok. I sew my bodice muslin. It fit nicely...although it had little ease. I made wide enough seems to remedy that (so I thought). Then...the sleeves. I cut them at a 14. This pattern was all over the place in terms of sizes. At some places I cut a 12, a 14, a 16...
I cut the sleeve, used long stitches to sew together to bodice...just in case. I slid it over my head as I had the bottom of the bodice pinned so I could insert the zipper later. When I had it on, I saw all of these horizontal pull lines...across my waist, across my bust, and I couldn't move my arms forward without the tugging. In fact, I could not move my arms forward too much at all.
What do you all suggest? Is it a sleeve problem? A bodice Problem? I am slowly teaching myself. This is a turning point for me as when I was much younger, this is when the dress would immediately become a wadder. Please help...Thank you guys for your time. I sure wish I had a sewing partner....

------
Paula

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

In reply to pieraci2 <<

Date: 9/13/12 11:18 AM

It does sound like the bodice was cut too small.

Keep the armscye and sleeves the same pattern size.

Where on this pattern did you change the pattern pieces to different sizes?

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

Puddeetat
Puddeetat
Advanced
Member since 2/2/11
Send Message

Date: 9/13/12 1:43 PM

Are your sleeves backward? If the sleeves have a distinct front and back and you put them in backwards you will have pull across the chest. Look to see if the double knotch usually indicates the back.

pieraci2
star
pieraci2  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 11/16/09
Send Message

In reply to PattiAnnJ <<

Date: 9/14/12 6:52 AM

I cut everything as a fourteen. The only place I cut differently was near the waist as I always must make a waist adjustment. There are pull lines in the front bodice across the waist area. Maybe I should have cut a sixteen...i don't know. I should start all over. i was very careful with marking the seam allowance, also..

------
Paula

pieraci2
star
pieraci2  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 11/16/09
Send Message

In reply to Puddeetat <<

Date: 9/14/12 6:54 AM

No....my sleeves are not backwards...I do have a broad back...maybe i should t ry a broad back adjustment....I just don't know...start over, broad back adjustment, I am at a loss....

------
Paula

pieraci2
star
pieraci2  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 11/16/09
Send Message

Date: 9/14/12 6:55 AM

this pattern does not give you entire finished measurements.....so I have nothing to compare my measurements to...

------
Paula

DebbyS

DebbyS
Intermediate
Maryland USA
Member since 7/29/03
Send Message

Date: 9/14/12 7:56 AM

What are your high bust and full bust measurements?

------
~

Debby

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to pieraci2 <<

Date: 9/14/12 8:12 AM

First, close your eyes and take a deep breath and then let it out slowly. This should shrug off that "negative energy". Next, rip out all of the vertical seams, including the side seams, and restitch them with a smaller seam allowance. See if that changes something. If it does, you need to go up a size.

From what you describe, it is a "circumference" problem, although I don't see any pictures you've posted.

Edited to add: There is a great DVD out by Peggy Sagers called Fitting Yourself by Yourself and it shows all three problem areas, Length, Circumference and Depth, and what to do with each.
-- Edited on 9/14/12 8:13 AM --

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

pieraci2
star
pieraci2  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 11/16/09
Send Message

In reply to DebbyS <<

Date: 9/15/12 3:20 PM

Hi bust is 34" and my true bust is 37"

------
Paula

pieraci2
star
pieraci2  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 11/16/09
Send Message

In reply to Miss Fairchild <<

Date: 9/15/12 3:29 PM

Hello Ms. Fairchild...
Thank you for your advice. Shall I do the same things with the princess seams? Sorry about no pictures. I have to get moving on that....new camera, etc.... When I go back to my sewing room, I will take a picture and see if I can post it.
So, if it is a circumfrence problem, do I start over with a new muslin? It's difficult learning alone as there seem to be sooo many answers to the same problem.....
As far as the negative energy, thank you for that....

paula

------
Paula

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Pattern Modifications, Design Changes & Pattern Drafting >> New Look 6723

Merchants on PR

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

Lanetzliving Vintage Sewing Patterns

Vintage Sewing Patterns
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Register

Clone Your Favorite Garment
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Register

Vogue Patterns 7387

photo
by: Cosso

Review
Sew Liberated Bohemian Carpet Bag Pattern

Sew Liberated Bohemian  Carpet Bag Pattern

Buy Now
SewBaby Snap Happy Diaper Covers Pattern

SewBaby Snap Happy Diaper Covers Pattern

Buy Now
Simplicity 2501

photo
by: SewLonnie

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.