SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Sewing Techniques and Tips > PUL fabric ( Moderated by MissCelie)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
PUL fabric
s.gopalan
s.gopalan
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 10/27/06
Send Message

Date: 9/13/12 11:59 AM

HI, I am thinking of sewing some waterproof panties for my mother, who is in bed most of the time. Could I use PUL fabric, and where would I find a pattern? We use small -medium size adult diapers. I need to make sure that her skin in that area is kept as dry as possible, to avoid sores. Also, I do not have a way to measure her, as she is not in this town. Thanks for any help

------
usis

HOWsMom
HOWsMom
Intermediate
Member since 8/27/12
Send Message

Date: 9/21/12 12:10 PM

PUL will hold the moisture IN closer to her skin.

It doesn't 'breathe' well (better than some things, but not well overall).

I've used it for diaper covers when my children were infants / toddlers, but never for an adult.

s.gopalan
s.gopalan
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 10/27/06
Send Message

In reply to HOWsMom <<

Date: 9/21/12 12:29 PM

Thanks for your reply. I bought the PUL because it was advertised as a fabric to make diaper covers. I have not yet cut out the fabric. Would it be better to just use it as a sheet on top of the bed, and perhaps just use plain vinyl to make the underpants? The issue is to prevent the clothes and sheets from getting wet at night. This is happening even with the use of the use of maximum absorbent 'Depends' in the correct size. Thanks.

------
usis

Mel.J
starstar
Mel.J
Intermediate
Victoria Australia
Member since 7/30/02
Send Message

Date: 9/21/12 9:54 PM

PUL will be more breathable than vinyl, but still not particularly allowing airflow. I don't know how much airflow you get with incontinence products though.

I wouldn't recommend just putting waterproofs over the top of something that already isn't making it through the night. You probably need to think about adding absorbency as well. If you want to keep going with a disposable product, maybe adding a large size over the top of the small/medium would increase the absorbency. If there's a waterproof layer on them, think about how to allow the moisture to get out to the second layer. (I don't know how bulky this would end up being, it might not be that comfortable.)

In terms of making, you might need to do some experimenting. With babies, microfleece is often used as a stay-dry layer next to the skin as it is not absorbent. This might be an option for night-clothes, to keep her skin dryer.

I would suggest a really good absorbent pad on the bed with a waterproof underside as well, and maybe a fleece topper. So that the moisture has somewhere to go.

For more info, the sites about babies will have information you can use. The principles are the same. If you read up on diaper-making sites or diaper-making threads on PR, there's lots of great information out there about fabrics/making so I won't repeat it all. If you have specific questions I can try to answer them. I've never made adult sizes, but have had a lot to do with making kids nappies (diapers).

------
Mel (Melbourne, Australia)

s.gopalan
s.gopalan
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 10/27/06
Send Message

In reply to HOWsMom <<

Date: 9/21/12 10:11 PM

Thanks a lot ;it is certainly something to think about

------
usis

s.gopalan
s.gopalan
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 10/27/06
Send Message

In reply to Mel.J <<

Date: 9/21/12 10:14 PM

Hi, Thank you. I appreciate the detailed ideas. I will check out some of the baby item websites. I have seen a lot of fleece in the stores, but don't know how many actually carry 'microfleece'

------
usis

diane s
star
diane s  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Oregon USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 9/21/12 11:22 PM

Here's a link for an adult pattern made with PULadult pattern
When I make waterproof pads out of PUL I use minky on one side and PUL on the other, and bind the edges with foldover elastic.
-- Edited on 9/21/12 11:24 PM --

------
My grandmother taught me to sew when I was 10, and I've been sewing ever since.

Mel.J
starstar
Mel.J
Intermediate
Victoria Australia
Member since 7/30/02
Send Message

In reply to s.gopalan <<

Date: 9/22/12 0:19 AM

You're welcome. On the bed mat you could use normal fleece (microfleece is thinner so it reduces bulk in the nappy). If you were using it for nightclothes I guess it depends on whether it's too warm.
Mel
-- Edited on 9/22/12 0:20 AM --

------
Mel (Melbourne, Australia)

s.gopalan
s.gopalan
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 10/27/06
Send Message

In reply to diane s <<

Date: 9/22/12 8:07 PM

Thanks, Diane.I will check it out.

------
usis

s.gopalan
s.gopalan
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 10/27/06
Send Message

In reply to Mel.J <<

Date: 9/22/12 8:09 PM

Thanks, again;this is just in time for my trip to Joanne's. This time I have a legitimate reason!

------
usis

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Techniques and Tips >> PUL fabric

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Register

Understanding Interfacings
Understanding Interfacings

Register

You Sew Girl Beret Pattern

You Sew Girl Beret Pattern

Buy Now
BIRTH OF A BUSTIER - A CD Book by Kenneth King

BIRTH OF A BUSTIER - A CD Book by Kenneth King

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.