SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Beginner's Forum > Button Sizes on Burda Patterns ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Button Sizes on Burda Patterns
Burda Patterns
smile1960
smile1960
Intermediate
Virginia USA
Member since 7/22/09
Send Message

Date: 9/13/12 6:11 PM

I'm not a beginner, but this seems like a beginner question, so...

I haven't sewn a Burda pattern is yrs., but this weekend, I bought a bunch while they were on sale at JA for $2.49 (!!).

I know that these are meant to be internat'l, so I get that the evelope back is not like what we see on Vouge, etc. For example, for the zipper length, it has an illustartion of a zipper with the length in inches & cm. Fine. Easy to figure out.

But what about the buttons? Illustration of the button(s) is there, as well as the letter for the garment (top A, skirt B) & the number of buttons needed. NOT the button size. I've opened up several of the envelopes hoping to find the info on the tissue somewhere, and - so far - nothing. Ditto the instruction sheet.

Yeah, I could spread out the tissue, find the buttonhole & measure, but, really.

Am, I missing something here...?

Thanks,
Lisa

GlButterfly

GlButterfly
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 8/28/08
Send Message

Date: 9/13/12 11:56 PM

If I'm buying buttons specifically for an outfit I will try to buy the size on the pattern envelope; otherwise, I buy a size appropriate for the outfit and what's currently in fashion. Would this work for you? Then you can practice making buttonholes until you find the perfect size for the button.

------
That's Gl = for Gloria, not G. I.

Nancy K
starstarstar
Nancy K
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 12/28/04
Send Message

In reply to smile1960 <<

Date: 9/14/12 5:09 PM

Burda never ever tell you what size button is called for, at least not in the magazine. I am making a Burda Style blouse and it should have buttons of 1/2" or so, or smaller it's a blouse. The distance from cf to front edge was an inch, a ridiculous, way to wide width. The general rule of thumb is from cf, 1/2 the width of the button to the edge of the garment. Then the seam allowance. On a blouse I like a tad more, but check your rtw and see what they are using.
-- Edited on 9/14/12 5:10 PM --

------
www.nancyksews.blogspot.com

smile1960
smile1960
Intermediate
Virginia USA
Member since 7/22/09
Send Message

In reply to GlButterfly <<

Date: 9/14/12 7:35 PM

The problem is that the button sizes are not anywhere on the Burda envelope or on the pattern tissue either.

Sorry, but it's stupid that this info is not there (esp. when zipper length, yadage, etc. IS). At least put it online.

smile1960
smile1960
Intermediate
Virginia USA
Member since 7/22/09
Send Message

In reply to Nancy K <<

Date: 9/14/12 7:39 PM

Guess Burda made a (bad) decision to withhold this info.

Like many sewers, I like to buy my buttons & other notions with the fabric, etc.

I've been sewing for many years, and this makes no sense. I feel bad for any newbies who run into this.

Maybe I'll send an e-mail to Simplicity who is the ditributor now.

Thanks,
Lisa

GlButterfly

GlButterfly
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 8/28/08
Send Message

In reply to smile1960 <<

Date: 9/14/12 7:48 PM

I understand that, but select a button that would work. You could check the patterns of other companies and see what the suggestion is. It's usually about 1/2" for blouses these days. You would then have to practice buttonholes lengths till you get the one that's right for the buttons you selected. (Unless you have an attachment that will do that for you.)

------
That's Gl = for Gloria, not G. I.

Rhey
Rhey
Intermediate
Member since 6/26/11
Send Message

Date: 9/14/12 8:52 PM

You're not alone finding it frustrating. I remember when I bought my first Burda pattern I thought the button picture might be printed at actual size (which would be handy and multi-lingual) but no go.
Simplicity is a distributor, I'm not sure how much of a say they have in the packaging/instructions.

Vireya
Vireya
Intermediate
Australia
Member since 12/10/05
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 9/14/12 9:07 PM

I'm rather surprised that anyone thinks this is an issue. Use whatever buttons you want to use! Then you measure your button and make the button hole the correct size for your button.

Nancy K
starstarstar
Nancy K
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 12/28/04
Send Message

In reply to Vireya <<

Date: 9/15/12 5:47 PM

Actually this is an issue because the width from center front to finished edge is mostly too wide on patterns for an appropriate button size, as I stated in my earlier post. A 1/2" button will look absurd and very homemade if the distance to the edge is too wide. and If you want to use a very large button on a coat or jacket it could be too small. Yes you can use any size you want to but before you cut out the garment you really should check the distance to make sure that it will look right.

------
www.nancyksews.blogspot.com

Vintage Joan
star
Vintage Joan
Intermediate
Ontario Canada
Member since 7/16/07
Send Message

In reply to smile1960 <<

Date: 9/15/12 6:03 PM

Quote:
Guess Burda made a (bad) decision to withhold this info.

I don't think they're withholding anything. Blouses typically take normal blouse/shirt-size buttons... and so on. I think they assume the size to use will be obvious from what's used in RTW of the same type, and from what's shown in the pattern photos and drawings. Usually the only time button sizes vary wildly from RTW norms is when someone is making some kind of design statement by using unusually large or small buttons.

Besides, Big 4 pattern companies usually include button recommendations that are notoriously oversized -- big enough to make a garment look very "first sewing project"-ish. (Not to offend anyone who actually is making a first sewing project. ) So I'm glad Burda chooses to leave this up to the wisdom of the sewer/"sewist."

-- Edited on 9/15/12 6:07 PM --

------
my shield and my very great reward ~ Gen. 15:1

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> Button Sizes on Burda Patterns

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Register

10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

Register

Folkwear 240

photo
by: FreyaStark

Review
Butterick 5504

photo
by: cocosloft

Review
De-Mystifying Fit - A CD Book

De-Mystifying Fit - A CD Book

Buy Now
Islander Sewing Systems Three Pattern Collection Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Three Pattern Collection Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.