SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Beginner's Forum > Suggestions for sewing a "sticky" fabric ? ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Suggestions for sewing a "sticky" fabric ?
HOWsMom
HOWsMom
Beginner
ON CANADA
Member since 8/27/12
Send Message

Date: 9/16/12 10:18 AM

Raincoat

Okay - I muddled through, and the project is done now, but what a complete PITA at times !

I made a raincoat for my daughter - the pattern was nice (great once I understood some of the directions, actually), but the material was a real trial.

I am not sure what the material was - but it was sticky, and would get stuck to the bottom of the foot on the machine. Not moving at all.

If it was face down, it was a little better - the feed dogs seemed to move it along somewhat.

I got through by using a layer of paper towel between the fabric and the presser foot, but it was difficult to remove after :(

I didn't do the final topstitching of the coat, as I couldn't bear the thought of fighting with it that much more - and the coat is fully functional the way it is right now.

If there is a nice way to do this, I would like to put the final details on it though.

Any advice ?

My review of the pattern is at the top of this post, btw.

------
My daughter and I are participating in this year's CIBC "Run for the Cure" - see my link here
http://www.runforthecure.com/goto/RememberingAudrey

Patti B
starstarstarstar
Patti B  Friend of PR
Intermediate
OR USA
Member since 9/29/02
Send Message

Subject: Suggestions for sewing a sticky fabric ? Date: 9/16/12 10:30 AM

Good for you for sticking it out! Cute coat and I'm sure she loves it. You were on the right track with the paper towels but using tissue paper would have eased the ripping off part. Sometimes a foot with Teflon on the bottom will slide along these evil fabrics but sometimes not. Hope this helps.

------
Patti

R-r-r-ripping my way to fitting success

SheBear0320
star
SheBear0320  Friend of PR
Advanced
MB
Member since 4/8/08
online now
Send Message

In reply to HOWsMom <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 9/16/12 10:33 AM

When working with vinyls, laminates and other "sticky" fabrics (and for applying clear elastic), I always use a teflon foot and find it makes a huge, huge difference.

Cute jacket BTW and I love the colour.

------
Sheila
"sewing very slowly to fill an empty closet"

2014 Stash Busting Sew-Along:
53.875 yards sewn (as of 07/28/14)
79.875 yards purchased (as of 07/28/14)

NhiHuynh
starstarstar
NhiHuynh
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 1/4/11
Send Message

In reply to HOWsMom <<

Date: 9/16/12 10:45 AM

For topstitching I've used a stripe of low tack blue painter's tape to the right of the stitchline. I use a zipper foot with the needle on the left and have the foot ride on top of the tape. This prevents stretching too if your fabric is sticky and stretchy. Hopefully you still have some scraps to experiment on.

------
I finally have a blog. www.detectivehoundstooth.com :)

HOWsMom
HOWsMom
Beginner
ON CANADA
Member since 8/27/12
Send Message

Subject: Suggestions for sewing a sticky fabric ? Date: 9/16/12 10:51 AM

I don't recall ever seeing a foot with Teflon before - I'll have to look around with a more careful eye next time I'm out I think.

In the mean time - I'll try the tissue paper trick, we have a Dollar store nearby that surely has some.

Painters tape - I'll have to see if we have any left to try that. Sounds like a great idea too.

Thank you.

------
My daughter and I are participating in this year's CIBC "Run for the Cure" - see my link here
http://www.runforthecure.com/goto/RememberingAudrey

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
OH USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

In reply to HOWsMom <<

Date: 9/16/12 11:21 AM

Quote: HOWsMom
I don't recall ever seeing a foot with Teflon before - I'll have to look around with a more careful eye next time I'm out I think.

In the mean time - I'll try the tissue paper trick, we have a Dollar store nearby that surely has some.

Painters tape - I'll have to see if we have any left to try that. Sounds like a great idea too.

Thank you.

This is what the Teflon Presser Foot looks like. Your local sewing store may have a different brand. Take the adapter with you to be sure the foot will snap-on.

On another note, Painter's Blue Tape comes in handy in the sewing room for many things. It leaves no residue. There is also a lilac color and I recently saw yellow on a TV sewing show.

------
I dont give them Hell, I just tell the truth about them and they think its Hell. Harry Truman

"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

PattyE
starstarstar
PattyE  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/7/10
Send Message

Subject: Suggestions for sewing a sticky fabric ? Date: 9/16/12 11:32 AM

I recently made a silk crepe top that was a little 'sticky' to sew. I used tissue paper and it worked like a charm.

stirwatersblue
star
stirwatersblue
Intermediate
KS USA
Member since 12/13/08
Send Message

Subject: Suggestions for sewing a sticky fabric ? Date: 9/16/12 6:06 PM

The Teflon foot (my sewing machine came with one) is also a necessity for sewing leather or suede. Very handy!

------
~Gem in the prairie

SouthernStitch
starstarstar
SouthernStitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
LA
Member since 8/24/02
online now
Send Message

Date: 9/16/12 6:16 PM

I don't have a teflon foot, but have used a roller foot with success! Also, LOVE that painter's tape tip - thanks so much!

------
Bernina 780, and 530
Juki TL2010
Babylock Evolution
Singer 403a

When life gives you green velvet curtains, make a green velvet dress.

Marie367
Marie367  Friend of PR
Intermediate
OH USA
Member since 5/28/11
Send Message

Date: 9/16/12 8:28 PM

Very cute! I have given up difficult fabrics. I no longer have the patience for all the fiddling you have to do. A teflon foot would help a great deal. You did a great job!

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> Suggestions for sewing a "sticky" fabric ?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Register

Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Register

Lily Pocket Purse

Lily Pocket Purse

Buy Now
PerfectFuse Medium White

PerfectFuse Medium White

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.