SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Techniques and Tips > Punch, Punch? ( Moderated by MissCelie)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Punch, Punch?
allan500
allan500
Member since 4/25/12
Send Message

Date: 9/16/12 1:43 PM

I've been sewing for several months. As I get past the "Let's make a potholder for Bernadette" and into more serious patterns, I am dumbfounded by why sewers so often use methods other a pattern punch to produce dot markings. It certainly can't be the price--only several dollars, and yet when I first began, and was reading every book I could get, I heard sewers espousing far more time consuming and less effective methods. Am I missing something?

Allan

AdaH
star
AdaH  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Iowa USA
Member since 11/21/09
Send Message

Date: 9/16/12 4:23 PM

what is a pattern punch?

------
Ada

jadamo00
star
jadamo00
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 3/13/06
Send Message

Date: 9/16/12 4:46 PM

And that kinda says it, doesn't it...?

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
California USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

In reply to allan500 <<

Date: 9/16/12 5:17 PM

I would not use one for me at all. For a couple of reasons. One is that I would not always even have something tough underneath the fabric to hammer a punch into, that would not get wrecked. Like a dining room table or even one of those cardboard folding cutting matt's just sitting on top of a bed or maybe on my carpeted living room floor.

The other is I just don't want holes in my fabric in those places at all. I prefer some kind of less permanent mark instead, just because I don't want a hole at the end of a dart in the middle of some fabric, because what am I going to be doing with that hole there later, if I decide I don't want to sew my dart like that, after trying it on first? I think if it's a knit and had a hole there, not even in the dart anymore, it would look bad and might run or if a woven I still don't want a hole there, and then maybe would fray. Ditto to mark things even in my seam allowances. Just because when Itried my garment on for real while making it, I might later decide I need those seam allowances more intat and hole-less and even with no clips cut into them, in case I needed that extra fabric in the seam allowance to make it fit me better in the end. If I punched a bunch of holes in it, I might run out of useable fabric there. Maybe not an issue at all though, if you are making the same thing over and over again, and know any holes or clips won't matter in the end at all.

heathergwo
heathergwo
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 11/14/11
Send Message

Date: 9/16/12 5:35 PM

I have tried both methods... using a punch and either marking with a removable pen or cutting out tabs based on the pattern and I am NOT leaning towards the punch.

First of all, they can be VERY hard to find depending on the fabric. Second, you may need that extra 1/8" of fabric to complete your garment. Third, you've now got a small cut in the fabric from which it can run or cause other issues.

So, I think it's a personal preference and I just thing FOR ME with MOST fabrics, it's just not the best way to go.

------
Brother Innovis 1250D
Babylock Enlighten
Singer Curvy 8763
Brother 1034D
Janome 385.19606
Brother 2340CV

allan500
allan500
Member since 4/25/12
Send Message

In reply to AdaH <<

Date: 9/17/12 11:34 PM

Hmmm...

allan500
allan500
Member since 4/25/12
Send Message

In reply to beauturbo <<

Date: 9/17/12 11:36 PM

These is no need to use a hammer. It's like one of those single hole paper punches.

allan500
allan500
Member since 4/25/12
Send Message

In reply to heathergwo <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 9/17/12 11:39 PM

I'm too much of a novice to know to even care about an 1/8th of an inch. Heck, I routinely am off at lest that much.

DonnaH
star
DonnaH
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 10/1/03
Send Message

In reply to allan500 <<

Date: 10/4/12 6:18 PM

I do NOT want any extra unfinished edges or holes in my fabric. I like to be able to make last minute adjustments in darts and seam allowances if I need/want to.

I know I used tracing paper and a wheel when I was a kid, but it just seemed so messy. I've seen some pattern recently where I've considered trying it again, though. I use either chalk (usually a chalk pencil) or the disappearing/washable ink marker.

I have never tried tailor's tacks for the reasons you mention (time consuming and perhaps less effective).

NhiHuynh
starstarstar
NhiHuynh
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 1/4/11
Send Message

Date: 10/4/12 6:29 PM

Are you talking about a pattern punch for making a hole in your oak tag pattern for hanging? Or are we talking a drill hole like they do in factories to mark cut fabric pieces ex. just inside a dart end?

------
I finally have a blog. www.detectivehoundstooth.com :)

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Techniques and Tips >> Punch, Punch?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Register

Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Register

BurdaStyle Magazine 05-2009-114

photo
by: BLT

Review
Simplicity 2223

photo
by: sewingsill...

Review
You Sew Girl 150mm Poppet Purse Pattern

You Sew Girl 150mm Poppet Purse Pattern

Buy Now
You Sew Girl Small Tote Pattern

You Sew Girl Small Tote Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.