SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Creative Sewing > Need to cover large boxes with spandex ( Moderated by Lynnelle)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Need to cover large boxes with spandex
Trying to figure out the logistics of how to do this...
writer04
writer04
Advanced Beginner
Member since 7/18/10
Send Message

Date: 9/17/12 9:09 PM

I've been asked to help out with some sewing-related stage design projects at church recently. I'm wracking my brain trying to figure out the easiest way to do this, and I'm hoping some other creative sewing people can help me out! :)

I'm going to have several 2 ft. by 2 ft. square boxes, ranging from 2 ft. tall to 10 ft. tall. They want to wrap them with spandex and light them from within. Spandex is totally out of my element, so I'm trying to figure out how to do this with the least amount of seams possible.

You could wrap all around the sides and have one seam, but then how do you cover the top? If you drape it over the top and sew two side seams, wouldn't it leave weird little points where the top of the seam starts? Just sort of thinking things out...

I would appreciate any ideas or feedback! Thanks so much. :)

kittykate
star
kittykate
Intermediate
Ontario CANADA
Member since 12/18/02
Send Message

Date: 9/17/12 9:21 PM

Think of a X seam across the top, but it will stop about an inch or maybe two from the corner so it won't be seen.

writer04
writer04
Advanced Beginner
Member since 7/18/10
Send Message

In reply to kittykate <<

Date: 9/17/12 9:46 PM

I'm not sure I understand... could you explain more what you mean? Thanks!

susandf
star
susandf
Expert/Couture
Arizona USA
Member since 4/30/11
Send Message

Date: 9/18/12 0:46 AM

If you google "how to sew a cube", numerous responses will provide guidance on how to sew a cover for a cube. You might want to start with scrap fabric and the 2*2*2 cube for practice - then move to the spandex and then to the longer boxes. Good Luck

------
The Destashification Project - Stash Couture!

arianamaniacs
starstarstarstar
arianamaniacs  Friend of PR
Advanced
International AUSTRIA
Member since 6/11/04
online now
Send Message

Date: 9/18/12 3:07 AM

If this is a stage prop, I would run a rectangular strip of fabric all around the sides. I'd keep it in place with glue on the corners. Then glue a rectangle on the top extra.
Stage is all about illusion, not made for posterity :)
Also, I assume you wouldn't need to cover the top of the 10' tall boxes. (Where do you get those anyway?)

writer04
writer04
Advanced Beginner
Member since 7/18/10
Send Message

In reply to arianamaniacs <<

Date: 9/18/12 8:24 AM

Quote: arianamaniacs
If this is a stage prop, I would run a rectangular strip of fabric all around the sides. I'd keep it in place with glue on the corners. Then glue a rectangle on the top extra.

Stage is all about illusion, not made for posterity :)

Also, I assume you wouldn't need to cover the top of the 10' tall boxes. (Where do you get those anyway?)

That's kind of the way I'm leaning.I think someone is building the "boxes" ... not sure what they'll be made of. I'm going to meet up with the person in charge of the project today and see how we can make this work.

I also thought about getting one long strip to cover the front, top and back (secure underneath the box). Then getting another long strip to go over the side, top, and the other side (and secure underneath). The side seams wouldn't be attached, but since it's stretchy, it should be relatively taut against the sides, depending on the structure of the box. The only snag might be if the light comes through the cracks at the "seams."
Scrappy Gram
Scrappy Gram
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 12/27/03
Send Message

Date: 9/18/12 8:34 AM

If they are building the boxes out of wood, use a staple gun to attach fabric.

skae
star
skae  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 4/23/07
Send Message

In reply to writer04 <<

Date: 9/18/12 9:32 AM

I did some of these ealier this spring. I did two seams so they hide along the piller corners all the way down. the top is a square.
Measure around minus just 2 inches. 24inches cut just 22 inches two panel total 44 inches 22 inch panel x 2. sew each seam with a serger stretch alittle. Sew the seam reenforced with a sew stitch with a little stretch.
the top instead cut 24 square cut 23 square.
The fabric will stretch.
Measure all the collums cylinders.
Just the tops do squares.
hope this helps

------
Ecclesiastes 11:7,8 Nothing on earth is more beautiful than the morning sun. Even if you live to a ripe old age, you should try to enjoy each day, because darkness will come and will last a long time. (CEV)

writer04
writer04
Advanced Beginner
Member since 7/18/10
Send Message

In reply to skae <<

Date: 9/18/12 10:24 AM

Thanks! That makes sense. Unfortunately I don't have a serger, so I'll probably just try a zig zag with my regular sewing machine. Did the tops come together okay when you sewed them on? I'm afraid that a really stretchy fabric won't conform well to such a structured shape.

Depending on what the boxes are made of, staples may need to be involved.We probably want to be careful not to damage things too much so they can be reused in the future.

skae
star
skae  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 4/23/07
Send Message

In reply to writer04 <<

Date: 9/18/12 10:28 AM

you have to measure evenly so you have 4 just snip to where the two other corner will be. Pin each to the corner then stretch to fit.
works beautifully

------
Ecclesiastes 11:7,8 Nothing on earth is more beautiful than the morning sun. Even if you live to a ripe old age, you should try to enjoy each day, because darkness will come and will last a long time. (CEV)

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Creative Sewing >> Need to cover large boxes with spandex

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

Register

Understanding Interfacings
Understanding Interfacings

Register

StyleArc Gina Tucked Top

photo
by: LTC

Review
Shapes Six Sense Skirt Pattern

Shapes Six Sense Skirt Pattern

Buy Now
Full Bust DVD

Full Bust DVD

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.