SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Quilters' Corner > Need advice on finishing first "quilt" ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Need advice on finishing first "quilt"
A Beginners Needle
star
A Beginners Needle  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 9/3/09
Send Message

Date: 9/18/12 12:39 PM

I'm making this quilt kit (Hot Rods Ride Again) for my son:

I'm not a quilter, so I have a lot of questions about how to finish this. (This is hopefully going to be used as a play mat, that's why I put quilt in quotes).

1. The last step says to make the backing approximately 8" larger thant he top. This makes no sense to me. Why is the backing bigger? Do you distribute the 8" in each direction - making it 4" larger each side?

2. Since it's going to be used as a play mat for my son to drive his cars around, should I still use some sort of batting? If so, do I make it the same size as the backing (assuming that 8" bigger is something I need to do) or the same size as the top?

3. Quilt as desired - ok... I really don't want to do much quilting. I figured for the outside I could stitch in the ditch around. But what about the middle? Is this absolutely needed? Or can I get away with just the stitch in a ditch on the outside? If not, any recommendations on making it less noticable?

4. And finally - assuming that I need that extra 8", where can I find a good tutorial on binding the quilt? I don't think I've seen a binding tutorial with the backing bigger thant he top - but then I've only ever really looked on how to apply bias tape.

Thanks for your help!

------
Tina

In my Sewing Room:
Pfaff Creative Performance - Pfurple!
Juki F600
Brother PRW420
Juki 735 Serger

BeeBeeSew
star
BeeBeeSew
Advanced Beginner
Maryland USA
Member since 12/13/07
Send Message

Subject: Need advice on finishing first quilt Date: 9/18/12 12:45 PM

I think it's quite cute! I'm sure he'll love "driving" on it. I would put a row of quilting along each side of the roads to define them and along the edges of the different colors that act as binding - like the checkerboard, the blue, the checks again. Maybe some freemotion in that large blue area. I would add some cotton batting - not poly, it's too fluffy and slippery. Cotton will give it some weight so it won't shift as much when he drives on it.
You need extra backing and batting because quilting takes up space and you don't want to end up with your backing too small. Any you want a smooth back even at the edge of the front to finish quilting on.

TessKwiltz
star
TessKwiltz  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 9/21/07
Send Message

In reply to A Beginners Needle <<

Date: 9/18/12 12:54 PM

The amount of quilting you need to do depends on the batting. The batting will have a minimum quilting distance. If you leave bigger spaces than the minimum quilting distance, you risk the batting shifting around between the layers and getting lumpy.

I would use some sort of batting, even if only a layer of flannel, to give the mat more durability. My personal preference for kid quilts is 100% cotton or 80% cotton 20% poly. Warm & natural, Quilters Dream, Hobbs are all good brands.

Two reasons for making the batting and the backing larger than the top: they will take up a bit during the quilting and give you something to hold on to when you are quilting near the edge of the top. It is possible, then, to wrap the back around to the front to make the binding, but I prefer to trim off the excess backing and make a separate binding.
-- Edited on 9/18/12 12:55 PM --

------
Tess

"I am a degenerate art supply junkie" - Jane Davenport

Learn To Sew
star
Learn To Sew  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/12/05
Send Message

Date: 9/18/12 1:35 PM

This is so cute. Simple and looks like fun to play on. Great idea.
-- Edited on 9/18/12 1:35 PM --

------
Bernina 630, my much loved main machine
Bernina embroidery module
Pfaff 2036 my back up & travel machine
Babylock Molly, mechanical
Bernina 1200DA serger
Unique Sewing Cabinet 450L

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

Date: 9/18/12 2:15 PM

Do it right the first time and you will be happy that you did.

Use a 1/4" foot for piecing and a walking foot for the quilting.

Use low loft batting.

The extra size of the back and batting is to make sure the quilt has full coverage of the batting and backing as they can "shrink during the quilting process. Center the top on the batting and backing. Pin or baste to hold them together while you quilt.

You trim the excess to the size of the quilt top after it has been quilted.

For the center, do echo stitching, which is outlining the objects in the print, the edge of the roads, outline of the vehicles, etc.

When you are ready to do the quilting, it is best to lengthen the stitching. Practice with scraps of the fabric and binding, like a mini quilt.

For the binding, make your own and it will not only be easier to apply, but stronger than bias binding tape.

Cut across the width of the fabric to be used for the binding as this type of quilt does not need the binding to be cut on the bias.

Here is a tutorial for applying binding to a quilt.

-- Edited on 9/18/12 2:23 PM --

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

Learn To Sew
star
Learn To Sew  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/12/05
Send Message

Date: 9/18/12 2:21 PM

Somewhere I heard you should have quilting stitches no farther apart than 4 inches. Make a fist and that is close to the size you need to watch out for.

After you outline the roads and cars, then start outlining buildings and so forth. If you wonder if something is not quilted enough in one spot, put your fist on the quilt and see if there is dead space. If so, either outline something or make a design of something. Fill that spot in somehow.

-- Edited on 9/19/12 11:53 AM --

------
Bernina 630, my much loved main machine
Bernina embroidery module
Pfaff 2036 my back up & travel machine
Babylock Molly, mechanical
Bernina 1200DA serger
Unique Sewing Cabinet 450L

PortlandMaine
star
PortlandMaine  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Maine USA
Member since 1/29/11
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 9/18/12 2:31 PM

Hey you -- very cute!

I think you can get away with doing some stitch in the ditch like you want -- but I would add a little more to the center to keep it from getting stretched out -- if you dont enjoy quilting -- you can use a regular stitch and matching thread and follow some of the larger patterns. Usually, I try to at least have my quilting lines no further apart than about the size of my fist..

If you are buying fabric for the back dont spend the extra on extra fabric .. unless they are having you use it to do the binding as someone else said --- I like doing bindings that way -- its pretty easy. you just fold over and sew ..

I would try to add some type of batting for weight so things will stay on the ground -- unless you can buy the backing fabric yourself -- then choose a heavy fabric like a very light canvass or cheap jean material ... and then you wont need a batting at all because the back will be heavy enough for the weight you want.

If you wanted you could use a monofiliment thread (a clear thread) and do straight line stitching in about 6 inch increments across the whole thing just sewing lines instead of quilting and it would work great.

have fun -- dont worry about messing up .. nobody will notice.

------
Quilting up a storm!

Cat n Bull
star
Cat n Bull  Friend of PR
North Carolina USA
Member since 2/17/06
Send Message

Date: 9/18/12 3:40 PM

That is ADORABLE! My grandson is so into cars, I have to look into one for him!

I totally agree with PortlandMaine, use a heavy fabric for the back if you want this to be a floor mat.

Your choice on finishing the edges. Cut all the extra batting and backing away flush and add a separate binding, or cut the batting flush with the top, trim the backing to an even amount, then wrap it around to the front and sew it down.

I use either way.

Gosh what a CUTE design! I LOVE this!!!

------
Cathryn

A Beginners Needle
star
A Beginners Needle  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 9/3/09
Send Message

Date: 9/18/12 6:31 PM

Thanks everyone for the help! I think I understand what I need to do now.

I do have one more question - do I quilt from the inside out or the outside in? Or does it matter?

I bought this as a kit, so it has backing fabric and fabric for the binding. Although using a thicker fabric for the backing might be something to think about.

Thanks again!

------
Tina

In my Sewing Room:
Pfaff Creative Performance - Pfurple!
Juki F600
Brother PRW420
Juki 735 Serger

Franksdottir

Franksdottir  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/25/08
Send Message

Date: 9/18/12 8:05 PM

Traditionally one always quilted from the middle to the outside, and that is how I do it. I think it is best because you will have to do some smoothing and repositioning, and if you are trying to do that towards the middle you will end up with lumps.

I have a friend who bought a quilting frame for hand-quilting where you load the back, the batt and the top on, need no basting, and you quilt from the edge, but the way that the frame holds it keeps it from slipping.

I don't know how long armers do it, undoubtedly someone can tell us.

------
Barb

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Quilters' Corner >> Need advice on finishing first "quilt"

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Class Details

Online Class
Bust Adjustments
Bust Adjustments

Class Details

Vogue Patterns 8323

photo
by: Peggysclos...

Review
No Pattern Used 1

photo
by: BJ1400

Review
Christine Jonson Double Collar Princess Jacket

Christine Jonson Double Collar Princess Jacket

More Info
Christine Jonson Fitted Jacket

Christine Jonson Fitted Jacket

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.