SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Pattern Modifications, Design Changes & Pattern Drafting > computerized pattern software

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
computerized pattern software
quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

Date: 9/18/12 2:56 PM

After doing a quick search could only find one company that was still there from when these programs came out. Wild Ginger. There were several that people were using. I guess people discovered that they didn't work out all that well and you had to do the same amount of fitting without the expense of the software. I did demos of several even before I gained weight and they just didn't work out so well.

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

andye
andye  Friend of PR
Beginner
Virginia USA
Member since 5/9/09
Send Message

Date: 9/18/12 3:06 PM

I've never used those programs. I've programmed some for my own personal use, but..

How many measurements are used? Can you draft your own styles? Do they allow for cup size variation?

------
Bernina B330
Feet: 1,2,3,3A,4,5,7,8,10,13,16,18,20, 29,32,35,37,50,64,70,71,82,85,86, 92

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

In reply to andye <<

Date: 9/18/12 4:40 PM

The only real one out there for hobbyists is Patternmaster by Wild Ginger and you have to take like 30 plus measurements. They make it sound too good to be true and imho it is. if you want to check it out it's Patternmaster

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

nancy2001
starstarstarstar
nancy2001  Friend of PR
Advanced
Alabama USA
Member since 12/3/05
Send Message

In reply to quiltingwolf <<

Date: 9/18/12 4:51 PM

You are correct that the pattern software programs sold to home sewers weren't very good. Several years ago, I spent close to $200 on Wild Ginger and found it to be limited and cumbersome. The patterns were drafted with weird angles instead of gentle curves and seams placed in very odd locations.

There was a tiny group of people on PR who claimed to like these programs, but they were vastly outnumbered by those who tried the programs and felt they were a complete waste of time and money.

Let me put it this way, if the patttern making software programs had been any good, everyone on PR would be using them by now. But if you search PR's libarary of tens of thousands of pattern reviews, you'll see that not a single Wild Ginger pattern has been reviewed during the past 12 months.

------
No sewing project is ever a complete success nor a total failure.

mastdenman
star
mastdenman  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 1/12/04
Send Message

Date: 9/18/12 5:09 PM

I'm a long time user of Pattern Master Boutique. You do have to be somewhat geeky to get good results. The learning curve is steep. You have to learn, computer design, clothing design and patternmaking all at the same time. It's not for everyone.

Living Soft is still out there also. It used to be Dress Shop.
-- Edited on 9/18/12 5:10 PM --

------
Marilyn

January 2009 to January 2010 81 yards out and 71yards in January 2010 to the present 106.7 yards out and 146.5 yards in. January 2011 to the present: 47 yards out and 69 yards in.

AdaH
star
AdaH  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Iowa USA
Member since 11/21/09
Send Message

In reply to mastdenman <<

Date: 9/18/12 5:50 PM

Living Soft is also called "My Pattern Designer"

------
Ada

andye
andye  Friend of PR
Beginner
Virginia USA
Member since 5/9/09
Send Message

Date: 9/18/12 6:57 PM

Hmm. So if these computer programs can't draft a pattern that will fit, have you had more luck with "The Moulage", and others?

It's easy to program a computer to do your trigonometry for you. It's harder to program in "taste", and "common sense."

------
Bernina B330

nancy2001
starstarstarstar
nancy2001  Friend of PR
Advanced
Alabama USA
Member since 12/3/05
Send Message

In reply to andye <<

Date: 9/18/12 9:07 PM

Yes. I recommend you invest the time and money you might have spent on pattern making software in learning the basics of how to draft and fit patterns directly. In other words, cut out the computer which just gets in the way.

I went on amazon and bought a used copies of previous editions of the Armstrong textbook on pattern drafting and Connie Crawford's textbook on draping. I also bought Adele Margolis's classic primer Draft Your Own Dress Patterns. As far as fit goes, I bought several books and learned a bit about various techniques (Nancy Ziemann's Pivot & Slide, Palmer Pletsch Fit for Real People and most recently Sarah Veblen's excellent new book Perfect Fiting). A few months ago I took Sarah Veblen's online class on bodice fitting here on PR, and that was worth every penny. I recommend it highly.

------
No sewing project is ever a complete success nor a total failure.

andye
andye  Friend of PR
Beginner
Virginia USA
Member since 5/9/09
Send Message

Date: 9/18/12 10:54 PM

OK. Right now, I'm translating a book on pattern drafting, and I'm using the computer (DraftCAD plus lots and lots of python). to check my work,as it were.I've got quite a few pattern drafting books-- the most famous being Natalie Bray's books.

------
Bernina B330

diane s
star
diane s  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Oregon USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 9/19/12 1:29 AM

My ASG group had a Wild Ginger instructor as a member and we made Click and SEw (I think Wild Ginger recently discontinued this) pants for a project one Saturday. I had really good results. What I didn't like, was printing and taping the pattern. I don't buy many online patterns for the same reason. If I decided to use software more often, I would invest in a wide continuous printer.

------
My grandmother taught me to sew when I was 10, and I've been sewing ever since.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Pattern Modifications, Design Changes & Pattern Drafting >> computerized pattern software

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Create a Jacket Muslin
Create a Jacket Muslin

Register

Clone Your Favorite Garment
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Register

New Look 6569

photo
by: Sheila457

Review
Shapes Eleven Eleven Skirt Pattern

Shapes Eleven Eleven Skirt Pattern

Buy Now
SewBaby Hug-Me Bibs Pattern

SewBaby Hug-Me Bibs Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.