SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Oh my goodness! So much plastic! ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Oh my goodness! So much plastic!
Allegro
Allegro
Member since 5/12/10
Send Message

Date: 9/18/12 3:15 PM

In another thread I discussed my new Janome 6600, which I'm not loving (I'm not bonding with my Janome 6600). I've decided to sell or trade it in and have been reading about other brands and other machines. I had an opportunity to make a quick visit to a sewing machine shop yesterday to see some of these machines in person. I was able to try out a few lower end Pfaffs, a Viking Saphire and a Bernina which is out of my budget, just for kicks. My, oh my! They seemed to sew all right, but I don't know if I can get past the plastic! They just felt so cheap! I've been sewing for 34 years with a Kenmore, and yes, it is metal.

Sigh.

Soolip
star
Soolip
Advanced
CA USA
Member since 6/18/08
Send Message

thumbsup 10 members like this.

Date: 9/18/12 3:38 PM

Sadly, this is what all domestic sewing machine casings are made of these days. I hate it too. I mostly sew on vintage Singers now, and only get out the Elna 6005 when I absolutely need to (which isn't often).

I think the only plastic appliance in my house is my alarm clock, which will soon be replaced by a good vintage one when I find what I'm looking for. I don't have a TV, but my computer is an Apple laptop, which is mostly metal, save the keys and the screen.

Very happy and proud to be living as plastic-free as possible in 2012.

Doris W. in TN
star
Doris W. in TN  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TN USA
Member since 2/9/04
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 9/18/12 3:48 PM

It took me a while to get accustomed to the plastic housing on newer sewing machines. The good news is that they do not weigh a ton when you carry them to a class or the dealer for service.

JillyBe
starstarstar
JillyBe
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 1/20/10
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 9/18/12 4:03 PM

You made me look through my house soolip.

I do have [koffkoff] several plastic fantastics (serger, coverstitch, felter), but at least most of my machines are solid metal. And the only other appliances I see that are plastic are my 2 printers (how do you get around that??) Edit to add the TV.

I think I didn't realize just how much I avoid plastic coming into my home - it's been a conscious choice for so long for me that I hardly think about it. Cloth bags, glass food storage, even my house is 100 years old & built from solid wood.

I guess I'll just have to justify those plastic machines by loving and using them and letting them be what they are. None of us are perfect, even in our ideals :)
-- Edited on 9/18/12 4:06 PM --

------
http://jillybejoyful.blogspot.com/
a blog about creativity, sewing, vintage sewing machines, and...... life :)

PortlandMaine
star
PortlandMaine  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
ME USA
Member since 1/29/11
Send Message

Date: 9/18/12 4:44 PM

Its so true -- Ideals are nice and I try really hard to live by them .. then, a depression hits and Im at the comberland farms 10 feet from my house getting stuffed up on sugar and prefab everything.

I have bought some (maybe 10?) of the polyester battings made from recycled bottles. Ive loved working with them ... but, I like to use recycled blankets as battings ... who knows whats good at times there are so many contradictions.

It also seems like some of those old singers (prob others, too) have such big nice lights on them. I would like more light on my machine.

I do so manythings I think are best for the world.. but, then .. there is that cumberland farms so close by ... LOL

Its such a funny 'hood -- its dense and old, I live in a 4 story townhouse from 1875 in a historic district ... then there is the cumberland farms ...

My grand quilter is lots of metal -- aluminum is it? IDk -- anyhow its a nice basic machine.

------
Quilting up a storm!

M.S.
star
M.S.
Intermediate
Member since 3/6/09
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 9/18/12 6:06 PM

I know, every time I feel like I'd like a new machine, I go try sewing on some. I smile politely when the Pfaff lady tells me the TOL will sew on buttons. Really? Um, any zigzag machine will do this (but I don't tell her that.)

Then I come home to my old metal machines with a pocket full of money still intact. Then, I get on eBay and think about buying a vintage attachment or presser foot or more bobbins or something, which is cheaper.

Oh, and I still have a Motorola flip phone, too. The new ones are too light and even more plasticky. What's wrong with me?

JillyBe
starstarstar
JillyBe
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 1/20/10
Send Message

thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 9/18/12 6:10 PM

Oh, I forgot about my cell phones! And of course, the plastic I used to buy them with Actually, the phones were "free", but I did use plastic to buy my plastic sewing machines. It's only appropriate.
-- Edited on 9/18/12 6:11 PM --

------
http://jillybejoyful.blogspot.com/
a blog about creativity, sewing, vintage sewing machines, and...... life :)

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
TX USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

In reply to PortlandMaine <<

Date: 9/18/12 6:35 PM

1875...no kidding. how fabulous. Would love to see pics sometimes..

You can always come to Poorpiglings house for sugar...

threaddy
star
threaddy  Friend of PR
Advanced
WY USA
Member since 4/22/09
Send Message

Date: 9/18/12 6:49 PM

It is my understanding that Bernina had to change from metal because of the computers...they get too hot in the metal. At least the plastic they use is a very hard plastic not a soft material that scratches just looking at it. The computers in the machines make plastic a must until some other material is discovered...

------
"The problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem." Theodore Rubin
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life's about creating yourself." George Bernard Shaw
Dan 9:24-27

Bernina vintage and computerized, Bernina and BL sergers , BLcoverstitch (a stray Pfaff and Viking followed me home too)

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
BC CANADA
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

In reply to Allegro <<
thumbsup 4 members like this.

Date: 9/18/12 7:15 PM

The innards are still metal; I sure wouldn't be willing to pay for metal housing nowadays. I don't have enough $!

------
I heart Panzy, Pfaff Creative Performance, the sewing machine love of my life!
And Baby (Enlighten serger), Victor (BLCS), Rupert (Pfaff 2023-knits expert) Ash (B350SE-Artwork), Kee (B750QEE-Panzy's BFF), Georgie (B560-Kee's baby sister) and the Feather-Flock!

Most of all, I heart Woo (HimmyCat). Until we meet again, my beautiful little boy. I love you.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Oh my goodness! So much plastic!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Create a Jacket Muslin
Create a Jacket Muslin

Register

Leather 101
Leather 101

Register

Favorite Things Little Bow Peep Pattern

Favorite Things Little Bow Peep Pattern

Buy Now
Full Bust DVD

Full Bust DVD

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.