Sewing Patterns, Pattern Review, Sewing Classes, Sewing Machines and Sewing Machine Reviews!
Platinum Sponsor: Stylish Fabric
Over 20,000 of high quality reorderable fabric

[SIGNUP - FREE Membership & 1 FREE Sewing Lesson ]
[Sewing Classes|Shopping Bag Your Shopping Bag|Login|Help]
Sewing Review and Pattern Reviews Sewing Knowledge Base Sewing Patterns Sewing Classes & Sewing Lessons Sewing Machine & Embroidery Machinery Sewing Message Boards Sewing merchants Blog Help/FAQ About Pattern Review
Enter your e-mail address:

Advanced Search
Tags
New to PR?
Sewing Machines
Compare Sewing Machines
Sewing Machine & Serger Reviews
Embroidery Machines
Sewing Reviews
Sewing Patterns
Review Gallery
Sewing Books
Sewing Supplies
Sewing Websites
Sewing Stores
Sewing Class Reviews
Sewing Expo Reviews
Sewing Tips & Techniques
Sewing Podcasts
NEW!Fabric Glossary
Sewing Review Requests Add a Review Request
Your Account
Edit Profile
My Page
Favorites
Wish List
Pattern Catalog
Notifications
Friends of PR
Join Friends of PR
Find a member
Deal Corner
Photo Album
Calendar
Chat Room
Chat Schedule
Chat Transcripts
Sewing Classifieds
Add a Classified
Sewing Contests
enter contest
contest report
contest gallery
Favorite Links
reviews with comments
merchant gallery
article archive
newsletter archive
Craft Resources
contact info
shipping rates
returns & refunds
testimonials

Platinum Sponsor - Stylish Fabric
Stylish Fabric
You are not logged in. Login here.

Message Board > Fabrics and more... > How do you store large amounts of fabric? ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
How do you store large amounts of fabric?
Managing bolts for business
VolcanoMouse
VolcanoMouse
FL
Member since 11/12/10
Login to reply to this post

Date: 9/18/12 8:34 PM

How do y'all who order longer lengths of fabric deal with it? How do small factories or studios organize this nonsense?

I produce costumes for reenactors out of my own home. I really like keeping the 20 yard lengths of linen I buy on those tall round cardboard tubes, but storing the fabric once it's on those tubes is incredibly frustrating. The closet is already full of smaller, folded lengths of fabric, my cutting table is far too small to store things on or underneath, and when the bolts are just leaned up against the wall, the cardboard snaps under the weight of the fabric!

There has to be a better way to store the fabric but keep it reasonably accessible-- perhaps a heavy-duty trash can so I can store multiple bolts upright? Some clever shelf system I haven't thought of? How would you tackle this problem? I'm at the point where any input would help!

-- Edited on 9/18/12 8:36 PM --

CM_Sews
CM_Sews
Intermediate
CA USA
Member since 9/18/04

Date: 9/18/12 8:49 PM

You might consider display fabric racks that stores use, or a DIY version of such a rack.

At the very least, you probably need a storage system (whether purchased or DIY) that allows you to put those fabric tubes onto rods of some type, then stores them horizontally. This would keep the tubes from collapsing under their own weight, and allow you to pull fabric off the roll as needed.

I've surfed various quilting blogs where quilters have come up with ways to store large rolls of batting, a similar storage problem. The most popular method is some variation of the "roll on a rod" storage method.

CMC

Jacqui315
star
Jacqui315  Friend of PR
Intermediate
WA USA
Member since 3/1/06

Going to PR Weekend Austin!

Date: 9/19/12 1:22 AM

At work we use these racks from Costco in various sizes. For the rolls, we just lay them going across. They do stick out some on the edges but otherwise stay put. Since they're metal shelves, we do use the coordinating shelf liners. We also tape around the edges so we don't get snags on the fabric.

------
http://sweetnotions.blogspot.com/

arianamaniacs
starstarstarstar
arianamaniacs  Friend of PR
Advanced
AUSTRIA
Member since 6/11/04

thumbsup 1 member likes this.
Date: 9/19/12 5:17 AM

I store them at the fabric store....

Just kidding! I flat-fold mine and put them on a rack, but those are usually only lengths from 8-10 meters. I've seen stores here do the garbage can with rolls. You could also cut them into 10 meter lengths and wrap them on cardboard for easier access like they do in fabric stores.

kittykate
star
kittykate
Intermediate
ON CANADA
Member since 12/18/02

Date: 9/19/12 8:25 AM

I discovered that the space between the sofa and the wall is great for a big bolt. They're wrapped in heavy plastic and also keep the sofa from bashing into the wall.

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
TX USA
Member since 12/28/07

Date: 9/20/12 10:00 AM

I only recently discovered the very best way of storing bolts.. thanks to JTinks.. I now have them upright in those oblong rubbermaid containers in the guest shower space.. A shower will hold a whole bunch of them.
Sign me .. desperate.....

M.S.
star
M.S.
Intermediate
Member since 3/6/09

Date: 9/20/12 12:00 PM

Workroom

On home dec bolts, under my cutting table. And, in my dining room, and everywhere. It's getting too crazy! I need to sew thru my personal stash to make room for the client stash!

VolcanoMouse
VolcanoMouse
FL
Member since 11/12/10

Date: 9/20/12 12:42 PM

Aah, thank you all! There are some great ideas I hadn't thought of. The fabric display racks are exactly what I wanted, and the Costco wire racks look excellent, too.

M.S., color me profoundly jealous of your workshop! Your cutting table is particularly wonderful: if it's a DIY construction, I would love to hear a bit about what it's made of. And putting the steam station on casters-- THAT's clever!

GrandmaNewt
GrandmaNewt
Intermediate
NV
Member since 6/5/10

Date: 9/20/12 1:11 PM

Those wire racks at costco are actually used in restaurants. If you have a used restaurant equipment store in your area, those racks can usually be found for much less money. They come in all different sizes and the shelves are adjustable.

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
OH USA
Member since 12/3/06

In reply to VolcanoMouse <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 9/20/12 1:11 PM

Those factories have warehouses and little elves... heigh-ho, heigh-ho off to work they go!

I work in my basement and half of it is unfinished. This is where I had my husband install hanging hooks (from the floor joist) to holding plastic conduit pipe. Shower rods or wooden drapery rods may also fill the bill. Whatever is available and cheap.

The rolls of fabric then go onto the rods.

No dry basement, or inconvenient to the sewing room - you may be able to install multiple rods in the closet of your sewing room and put the folded lengths in opaque totes, which is what I do with cuts not on a bolt. Opaque lets you see what colors are in the totes.

I have also used a new, sturdy garbage can for storing the long bolts of fabric and interfacing.

Hope this helps. Organization really helps speed up production....and it looks so professional!

------
I dont give them Hell, I just tell the truth about them and they think its Hell. Harry Truman

"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> How do you store large amounts of fabric?

Merchants on PR
Patterns from the Past
vintage sewing patterns
Deals!
Elliott Berman Textiles
Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!
Sewn Square One
Patterns for Your Style.
Web site
Gwyn Hug
Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!
Lanetzliving Vintage Sewing Patterns
Vintage Sewing Patterns
Deals!

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.
Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Online Sewing Classes
Create a Jacket Muslin
Fee: $29.00
(Regular $49.00)
Create a Jacket Muslin

Online Sewing Classes
Altering Jackets
Fee: $19.99
(Regular $59.00)
Altering Jackets

Kwik Sew 2767 nightgown
photo
Review by MaryLynn i... on 6/27/06
Read Review

Peek-A Boo Evelyn Dress and Swing Top Digital Pattern ( Size 18 mo -8 years )
Peek-A Boo Evelyn Dress and Swing Top Digital Pattern ( Size 18 mo -8 years )

Details
Price: $7.95
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Sis Boom Marco Shirt for Men Digital Pattern
Sis Boom Marco Shirt for Men Digital Pattern

Details
Price: $10.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Butterick 5283
photo
Review by Amanda S. on 1/2/09
Read Review

Christine Jonson Double Collar Princess Jacket
Christine Jonson Double Collar Princess Jacket

Details
Price: $18.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Paradiso Designs Be Green Market Bag Pattern
Paradiso Designs Be Green Market Bag Pattern

Details
Price: $9.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Vogue 1255 Pattern ( Size 12-14-16-18-20 )
Vogue 1255 Pattern ( Size 12-14-16-18-20 )

Details
Price: $32.00
Add to Bag Add to Bag

New Look 6944 Pattern( Size 4-6-8-10-12-14-16 )
New Look 6944 Pattern( Size 4-6-8-10-12-14-16 )

Details
Price: $4.49
Add to Bag Add to Bag

Subscribe to PR Message Board Feed Subscribe to the PR Message Board Feed Add to My Yahoo! Subscribe at NewsGator Online Subscribe at Bloglines Add to MyMSN