SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Beginner's Forum > Ideas for fixing too big neckline? ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Ideas for fixing too big neckline?
NottaWadder
star
NottaWadder
Advanced Beginner
Member since 6/17/12
Send Message

Date: 9/20/12 3:26 PM

I know now that I should have checked this closer and cut the neckline so it would be smaller.... but I am stuck now and I really like the rest of the top so far, so I am trying to figure out how I want to fix this.

It is VogueVogue 8771 and I am doing it in a cotton interlock.

I am considering adding a band to it, which is maybe the best option, but thought I should consider some other ideas too? Like maybe gathering it some how with elastic or something? I also read something about adding darts maybe? Thinking that might look a bit weird though?

What do you think might look best? Preferably something sort of easy, I am still in my relearning phase (and in the totally learning phase for knits).

It allows for a 5/8 inch topstitched hem around the neck. Even without turning under the 5/8 its pretty big on me. When I was younger I probably would have liked it but at my current age I am not very comfortable with it.

I suppose if I do this pattern again I could even go down a size but I really like the fit of it the way it is. Plus I would have to repurchase the pattern, I am already using the smallest size in the envelope. But like I said, I really do like the fit except for the neck so next time I would just cut it differently.

------
My Singer crew:
Sergei - Serger 14T968DC (set up as coverstitch)
Stella - Serger Stylist II 14J250 (set up as main overlock)
Quincy - Quantum 9960 (my main SM)
Newest addition: Stevie, my very first Featherweight! (221 Centennial)

Kemish
star
Kemish  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 4/24/06
Send Message

Date: 9/20/12 3:46 PM

I just had a similar issue with V1261. I like the top but the neckline was too large so I went back and sewed tiny tucks all along the neckline front & back. I haven't done a review on the pattern yet so I haven't posted a picture of my fix. Try pinning little tucks in or even hand-baste little tucks along the neckline to see if you like it before sewing. It worked for me.

------
Kemish

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

Date: 9/20/12 3:50 PM

No to the band.

The sleeves are roomy, so try pinning out the excess at the shoulder and see if you can lift the neckline up to a position that is more comfortable for you.

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

BeckyNoSleep
star
BeckyNoSleep
Intermediate
USA
Member since 4/19/10
Send Message

Date: 9/20/12 4:50 PM

Another option would be to insert essentially a "modesty panel" in a color close to your skin tone (matching the weight and amount of stretch of your original fabric, if possible). It could echo the curve of the original neckline.
I agree, I have a RTW top that is similar to this, and not only does the neckline gape, but I am constantly tucking my bra straps under. *sigh*

ConnieBJ
starstar
ConnieBJ  Friend of PR
Advanced
Ontario Canada
Member since 12/31/03
Contest Committee
Send Message

Date: 9/20/12 5:04 PM

I really like Becky's idea. Try drafting a new neckline to fit under the existing one, but a bit higher. Here is a link to a photo that I found for an example ..
double neck tee
-- Edited on 9/20/12 5:05 PM --

------
Connie Bontje

http://www.couturesmith.com
Twitter: Couturesmith
Facebook: Connie Bontje
Desperately trying to keep ahead of my pattern, fabric and dressform collection!

hazelnut
star
hazelnut  Friend of PR
Beginner
USA
Member since 1/7/09
Send Message

In reply to NottaWadder <<

Date: 9/20/12 5:10 PM

If PattiAnn's idea doesn't work enough to fix the problem, you could also make a tiny slit inside the back neckline and fish some narrow elastic through and around. I salvaged a few of my stretched interlocks that had a large enough seam channel. I cut the elastic long enough, fished it through with a wire and safety pin and then tied it in a bow just to slip the top on and check how the neckline looked. I tightened or loosened as necessary. It may not look the greatest if it's *too* gathered, but at least it will be usable. I also tried to find an elastic whose width would fill the neckline without any rolling. Some people have stitched clear elastic on the outside (inside of neckline), but I didn't like the feel of that against my skin. I hope you can fix it ....and hope it's not that pretty yellow buttercup interlock.

edited to add: I didn't leave it tied in a bow LOL I hand-stitched the elastic together and then closed the the tiny slit with hand-stitching also. You couldn't even tell it had surgery. :)
-- Edited on 9/20/12 5:14 PM --

annemie
annemie  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Ontario CANADA
Member since 1/18/09
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 9/20/12 5:14 PM

I really like that pattern! I have had luck in the past with too big necklines or gaping necklines by pulling a thin elastic (like a string) through the casing, not enough to pucker, but just enough to pull it in. It can make a lot of difference.

NottaWadder
star
NottaWadder
Advanced Beginner
Member since 6/17/12
Send Message

Date: 9/20/12 5:56 PM

Oh my gosh, thank you for all of the great replies!!

I have not yet sewed the neckline hem, so I would not have to "fish" the elastic through there..... what would be the best way to attach elastic being has I have not yet committed to the casing?

I do also like the idea of the second neckline/panel. I actually thought of that but I wasn't sure if it would look right. Connie, that link to the double neck tee really helped me visualize it better!!

I do not think that pinning the excess at the shoulder will work, unless I am not understanding correctly?? If I take it up at the shoulder, then that throws where the sleeve is attached right? I would have to take out the sleeve and refit the sleeve too? Or do you mean a different way?

hazel, yes, unfortunately it's my buttercup interlock.But other than the neckline, it has gone pretty well!

------
My Singer crew:

NottaWadder
star
NottaWadder
Advanced Beginner
Member since 6/17/12
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 9/20/12 6:09 PM

I hit submit and then realized I still have questions!!!

Kemish, by the tucks, do you mean like little baby darts? Or a different kind of a tuck?

Being as I have not yet sewed the neckline hem, if I do the double tee thing, should I do the hem first and the fit the new piece under it to make it look layered? At this point I could actually just make an insert that would be flat (except the seam of course). But I think I like the layered idea better... maybe?

Edited to add: for the double neckline, I think I would just use the same fabric as the rest of the top.... unless there is a reason to NOT do that?
-- Edited on 9/20/12 6:16 PM --

------
My Singer crew:

NottaWadder
star
NottaWadder
Advanced Beginner
Member since 6/17/12
Send Message

Date: 9/21/12 8:25 AM

Uh oh, did I ask too many questions?

------
My Singer crew:

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> Ideas for fixing too big neckline?

Merchants on PR

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Nature's Fabrics

Natural & Organic Fabrics
Deals!

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Style Arc sewing dress patterns

Patterns That Fit
Web site

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

All About Linings
All About Linings

Register

Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

Register

McCall's 2401

photo
by: carolinasc...

Review

Pattern

Sewing Workshop Tamari Apron Pattern

Sewing Workshop Tamari Apron Pattern

Buy Now
Victory Chloe Paper Pattern

Victory Chloe Paper Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.