SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Oooh I'm torn! ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Oooh I'm torn!
Double bonding and the perfect machine...
FatMog
FatMog
Member since 6/17/12
Send Message

Date: 9/22/12 12:46 PM

Now I know many of you ladies have more than one (or two, or three) machines but for many years I just had the one. (We'll exclude the old Bernina in the garage which I keep 'just in case'.) I'm the sort that likes to just have a single machine for everyday use, I don't want to be switching back and forth for normal sewing.

So, as I've mentioned in previous posts, I recently replaced my aged Husqvarna Optima 630 with a Pfaff QE4 as I really fancied a go at the new-fangled modern computery-ness. The final shove for me to buy was when, immediately after its first-ever service in about 20 years, the Husqy blew a capacitor and I was left sans machine, when I was all excited about restarting sewing.

Aaanyway, I've been getting along great with the QE4 while poor Husqy was languishing in the workshop, waiting for the engineer to find a suitable replacement for his sadly defunct, unusual and obsolete capacitor. Hurray! Eventually he did, and all is well. But then... alas, Herr Pfaff developed a problem with his upper tension unit. But not to worry, the delightful dealer I bought him from diagnosed the issue over the phone and arranged for a courier to come and collect him.

So, back to the Husqy to finish a jersey top and... oh dear. I LOVED sewing on him again. I just prefer the feeling of a mechanical machine. I think someone here has described it as the difference between driving a manual and an automatic car and I think that's apt.

However I did spend rather a lot of time starting to sew without putting the foot down first! That's one of Herr Pfaff's little tricks.
And... I'm planning my next project and I keep thinking that I can use THIS stitch, or THAT foot and it's all about the Pfaff.

Plainly I've bonded more strongly with Herr Pfaff than I thought in a short time. Obviously I love two men!

I wonder if it's possible to make a machine which is essentially mechanical but offers some of the little tricks I love in the computerised machine?

In the meantime, I have them both (or I will, when Herr Pfaff return from his small vacation next week) and that makes me happy!

RipStitcher
star
RipStitcher
Advanced
CO
Member since 5/28/12
Send Message

Date: 9/22/12 1:05 PM

Heh. I get this.

Lusting after about 5 different machines these days is the *only* reason I'm thinking of wanting to finish off my basement here with a mother-of-all-sewing-rooms .. or.. move into an entirely different house so I can have the space for more machines.

I've got camp set up in my dining room of my condo.. which is really just fine for me. I didn't want to cook for a group of people, anyway (which would need a place to sit and eat - and I don't wanna move my ElnaPress or cutting mat for something as silly as entertaining). lol

Still love my old Elnagirl, too.

------
~~~YAY! ~~~ I finally published my first pattern!
See demo video on: www.BionicGearBag.com
My personal blog: www.RipStitcher.com

Wish list:
Bernina 550QE (for it's cute little footprint)
Sashiko
Ovation serger

Love my Babylock Ellisimo Gold & ElnaPress

NottaWadder
star
NottaWadder
Advanced Beginner
Member since 6/17/12
Send Message

Date: 9/22/12 1:19 PM

I thought I was the only one that referred to my machines as hims instead of hers!

Owner of:
Sergei (the serger) and Sven (the Viking 400).

------
My Singer crew:
Sergei - Serger 14T968DC (set up as coverstitch)
Stella - Serger Stylist II 14J250 (set up as main overlock)
Quincy - Quantum 9960 (my main SM)
Newest addition: Stevie, my very first Featherweight! (221 Centennial)

RipStitcher
star
RipStitcher
Advanced
CO
Member since 5/28/12
Send Message

In reply to NottaWadder <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 9/22/12 1:37 PM

Quote: jaytwo
I thought I was the only one that referred to my machines as hims instead of hers!

Owner of:

Sergei (the serger) and Sven (the Viking 400).

Your comment has got me thinkin'.

Gotta wonder if when we refer to machines as *hims* or *hers*... it reflects how we feel about the male of the species?

I know my beautiful, strong, capable, flexible, precise, trouble-free machines that just purr when being put through even difficult tasks... well... they don't have much in common with the men I've known. lol

Mine are definitely not male. They're better than that. (ewww.. I'm gonna get letters!)

------
~~~YAY! ~~~ I finally published my first pattern!
See demo video on: www.BionicGearBag.com
My personal blog: www.RipStitcher.com

Wish list:
Bernina 550QE (for it's cute little footprint)
Sashiko
Ovation serger

Love my Babylock Ellisimo Gold & ElnaPress

LynnRowe
starstar
LynnRowe  Friend of PR
Advanced
BC CANADA
Member since 3/9/09
Send Message

Date: 9/22/12 1:50 PM

Several of mine are hims;

Panzy
Victor
TC
Cortland
Sterling Blue
Devon
Sheffield
Chester
Seafoam
Kris Krinkle
Smudge
Tristan

------
I heart Panzy, Pfaff Creative Performance, the sewing machine love of my life!
And Baby (Enlighten serger), Victor (BLCS), Rupert (Pfaff 2023-knits expert) Ash (B350SE-Artwork), Kee (B750QEE-Panzy's BFF), Georgie (B560-Kee's baby sister) and the Feather-Flock!

Most of all, I heart Woo (HimmyCat). Until we meet again, my beautiful little boy. I love you.

NottaWadder
star
NottaWadder
Advanced Beginner
Member since 6/17/12
Send Message

In reply to LynnRowe <<

Date: 9/24/12 10:57 AM

Quote: LynnRowe
Several of mine are hims;

Panzy

Victor

TC

Cortland

Sterling Blue

Devon

Sheffield

Chester

Seafoam

Kris Krinkle

Smudge

Tristan

Lynn, I am curious, what exactly about the machine determines if it is a male or female then?

------
My Singer crew:
Sergei - Serger 14T968DC (set up as coverstitch)
Stella - Serger Stylist II 14J250 (set up as main overlock)
Quincy - Quantum 9960 (my main SM)
Newest addition: Stevie, my very first Featherweight! (221 Centennial)

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TX USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

thumbsup 5 members like this.

Date: 9/24/12 11:00 AM

Well, that's easy! She knows as soon as she tilits the machine up to clean the underside.

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

ReRe1
ReRe1
Intermediate
AR USA
Member since 12/12/06
Send Message

Date: 9/26/12 0:23 AM

hahahahahahahah...

------
ReRe1

Julkane
star
Julkane  Friend of PR
Intermediate
PA USA
Member since 9/14/07
Send Message

Date: 9/26/12 8:39 AM

So interesting....all my machines are girls. They are my BFFs and offer me great solace when it is needed. I love to hang out with them. They listen so well and always see my ponit of view. After reading this post, I went and looked at them all to see if any were another gender but honestly, I think they are all girls. I have 3 really old Singers and and they are the classiest ladies I know. My CoverPro is a tomboy but definitely a Her. Even my Oliso iTouch iron is a Her!

------
Elna Excellence 740, Pfaff Quilt expression 4.0, Janome 300E, Brother 8500D, Babylock Ellageo, Janome 900CPX CoverPro, Brother 5234 Project Runway Serger, Singer Treadle, Singer 66, Singer 99

http://juliannasjourney.blogspot.com/

a7yrstitch
star
a7yrstitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
TX USA
Member since 4/1/08
Send Message

In reply to Julkane <<

Date: 9/26/12 8:55 AM

With the description of your Singers, I would expect them to be covered in red for their Red Hat luncheons. Classy is a wonderful description.

The Rocketeer I sent to my niece was definitely a guy. Since she has three little boys, he seemed the best candidate for the household. Like sending Buzz Lightyear off to go play with the boys.
-- Edited on 9/26/12 9:08 AM --

------
I have no idea what Apple thought I was saying so be a Peach and credit anything bizarre to auto correct.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Oooh I'm torn!

Merchants on PR

Budo Bear Designs

Asian Designs
Web site

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Restyling with Exposed Zippers
Restyling with Exposed Zippers

Register

Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Register

SewBaby Comfy-Alls and Knit Shirt Pattern

SewBaby Comfy-Alls and Knit Shirt Pattern

Buy Now
Christine Jonson Bell Sleeve Wrap & A-Line Skirt

Christine Jonson Bell Sleeve Wrap & A-Line Skirt

Buy Now
Kwik Sew 1389

photo
by: miausiau

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.