SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Singer Lubricant? (for gear driven machines) ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Singer Lubricant? (for gear driven machines)
Checking out my new 301A
jzygail
star
jzygail  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Maryland USA
Member since 11/2/06
Send Message

Date: 9/23/12 1:12 PM

Well, this has got to have been the single easiest 'spa treatment' I've ever given a vintage machine. EVER. (Background on the acquisition of my new lovely, who has taken place of honor in the dining room and will NOT be heading to the basement sewing room, can be found in the Sewing Machine Finds thread).

In addition to a full compliment of slant attachments (in a mint condition Singer 301 attachment box), the machine had the original manual (in fabulous condition) and a Singer book about the finer points of garment sewing. Reading through the manual I gave the machine a nice oiling and left her in the front window in full sun for the day.

I needn't have bothered the sun bit. When I took off the needle plate, what I found was a pristine clean (and de-linted) hook area and feeddogs. Similarly the needlebar and presser bars were clean and free of old oil and sludge. I plugged her in, pressedthe knee lever and she immediately began moving (I haven't threaded her or done any test stitching yet).

Not knowing how long it's been since she was last used (this was an estate sale, with the widower selling and I hesitated to ask him about the machine because I understood that his wife had only recently passed), I would like to give some fresh lubricant to the gears.

So, where do I find lubricant? And if Singer lubricant isn't available any more, is there something that works as well? I'd hate to take a machine this clean and in such awesome condition to my OSMG just to lube the gears.

lisalu
star
lisalu
Advanced Beginner
Georgia USA
Member since 10/5/08
Send Message

Date: 9/23/12 2:20 PM

Ha, ha, we have just been discussing this very issue on the Featherweight thread! Seems we have all noticed that the Singer lubricant is no longer available. WTH???

We were discussing the pros/cons of substituting Tri Flow (which I buy from Sew Classic) but someone mentioned that it should not be used on motors - only on gears. So that puts us right back to square one.

------
Jim (Singer 301), Margaret (Singer 201-2), Betty (Singer 15-91), Bud (Singer 503), Kathy (Singer 221), Liz (Singer 221 Centennial Edition)
http://runningstitches-mkb.blogspot.com/

Nonette
star
Nonette
Advanced
Member since 3/11/09
Send Message

In reply to jzygail <<

Date: 9/23/12 4:06 PM

sew-classic carries them.

singer grease/lubricant

pknord
pknord
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 9/1/11
Send Message

Date: 9/23/12 4:17 PM

You can get it on the Notions wall at JoAnn's.

Ooops, just noticed, someone already answered this.

------
Pat in Rockport, TX
"As ye sew, so shall ye rip."
http://community.webshots.com/user/pknord
http://www.quiltingthoughts.blogspot.com/

lisalu
star
lisalu
Advanced Beginner
Georgia USA
Member since 10/5/08
Send Message

In reply to pknord <<

Date: 9/23/12 5:20 PM

Well, yeah, I used to be able to find it at JoAnn's but not anymore - at least not in my local store.

------
Jim (Singer 301), Margaret (Singer 201-2), Betty (Singer 15-91), Bud (Singer 503), Kathy (Singer 221), Liz (Singer 221 Centennial Edition)
http://runningstitches-mkb.blogspot.com/

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

Date: 9/23/12 5:45 PM

Look in the Singer notions at JA or Walmart. Got mine at JA.

You can see here if your local JoAnn Store carries this product.

-- Edited on 9/23/12 5:53 PM --

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

tgm and Kittys
star
tgm and  Kittys
Advanced Beginner
Wisconsin USA
Member since 3/8/10
Send Message

In reply to PattiAnnJ <<

Date: 9/23/12 6:01 PM

Thank you for that link. I will check it out too.

Oh not at our store... I will have to check Walmarts sometime when we go there. Good to see Sew Classic has it. That is very good news!
-- Edited on 9/23/12 7:03 PM --

------
Home of the adorable Baby & Mittee girl >^,,^<
Santa Kitty is on the move... Meowy Christmas everyone!

Oh good, DH has now getting a nice part time job. Avg 20 hours a week.
The sewing workers:
Hello Kitty Kate (green), Hello Kitty Valerie, Dottie Kenmore, Bubba Kenmore the traveler.

Be still & know that I Am God +
Dear God...please help us out..Thank you..+

jzygail
star
jzygail  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Maryland USA
Member since 11/2/06
Send Message

In reply to PattiAnnJ <<

Date: 9/23/12 9:32 PM

Thanks! My local JoAnn's has it so I'll toodle on over there tomorrow and pick up a couple.

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

In reply to tgm and Kittys <<

Date: 9/23/12 11:36 PM

Quote: tgm and Kittys
Thank you for that link. I will check it out too.

Oh not at our store... I will have to check Walmarts sometime when we go there. Good to see Sew Classic has it. That is very good news!
-- Edited on 9/23/12 7:03 PM --

You can order from JoAnn online.

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

NonieA1
NonieA1  Friend of PR
Advanced
Florida USA
Member since 11/3/10
Send Message

Date: 9/24/12 3:51 AM

When I ran out of lubricant for the gears of my 401A, I used a little bit of petroleum jelly applied with a Q-tip. Did a fine job. I did find a tube of Singer lubricant at the local JoAnn store, so I now use that. My Singer is still going strong, thank heavens. I have had it for the past 44 years.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Singer Lubricant? (for gear driven machines)

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Clone Your Favorite Garment
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Register

The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Register

McCall's 5160

photo
by: ClioBklyn

Review
You Sew Girl Small Tote Pattern

You Sew Girl Small Tote Pattern

Buy Now
Petite Plus 303 Pattern

Petite Plus 303 Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.