SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Fitting Woes > Upper bust measurement for B cup? ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Upper bust measurement for B cup?
halleyscomet
starstarstar
halleyscomet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 3/27/07
Send Message

Date: 9/26/12 8:53 AM

I just recently was fitted for a new bra and they put me in a 36B after years of wearing a 34C. I had been doing sewing a size 10 with a full bust adjustment. Now I'm thinking that maybe I don't need to do a FBA. Do I still go by the upper bust measurement? Or since I am a B cup, do I pick the size by my full bust measurement?

Marie367
Marie367
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 5/28/11
Send Message

In reply to halleyscomet <<

Date: 9/26/12 9:40 AM

I am a B cup. I find that my upper bust measurement works best for me but I am a little smaller across the top and need the smaller neck and shoulder although I do need a broad back/rounded back adjustments too. Do your tops/dresses that you have made still fit ok? It may not make much of a difference. I would check some of your TNT patterns to see.

marymary86
marymary86
Intermediate
Georgia USA
Member since 7/20/08
Send Message

Date: 9/26/12 10:41 AM

Quote:
Do your tops/dresses that you have made still fit ok?

This - try on one of those tops with your new bra and check the fit.

------
Mary

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

Date: 9/26/12 1:20 PM

We tend to ''thicken'' a bit as we age.. under the breasts.. in the waistline.. so unless the pattern is say an empire dress it might still fit .. as they said .. trying it on will tell you for sure.
But I would almost bet its age that is causing the difference in cup size now. Unless you have gained weight.. which would then be a whole other pattern size no doubt..

halleyscomet
starstarstar
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 3/27/07
Send Message

Date: 9/26/12 1:35 PM

Oh, I haven't definitely thickened! My last jacket I made I did my usual 12 for the bust with a FBA. It is actually a little bit big in that area so I don't think I need to do a FBA anymore.

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 9/26/12 8:58 PM

Can I ask where you went? I'd like to find my exact size, and have been "shooting in the dark" for several years.

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

Marie367
Marie367
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 5/28/11
Send Message

In reply to Miss Fairchild <<

Date: 9/27/12 10:31 AM

Lots of stores will do it-Victoria Secret, Macy's, as well as some of the better department stores. However, I have found that it is still not perfect as each manufacturer varies a little with the fit.

MommaMonster
MommaMonster
Member since 9/5/11
Send Message

Date: 9/27/12 10:41 AM

Never, ever go to Victoria Secret for a fitting. They are notorious for 1) getting it wrong, and 2) putting you in the wrong size to make a sale.

I am a 36DD in VS bras. A sales girl tried to put me in a 38C(not even a sister size). When I showed her all of the problems with the fit she huffed 'well, I think it looks good' and stormed off never to be seen again.

And if you look around online you will find this tends to be 'the norm' there.

Bra sizes are another of the little tricks men play on women. There is no standard. The best thing you can do is go HERE and read through the entire article. Learn how a bra is meant to fit. Then you will never regret a bra purchase, and find your bras run the gamut in sizing. I have 36DDs, 36DDDs, and 38Ds in my drawer because I know what to look for.

halleyscomet
starstarstar
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 3/27/07
Send Message

In reply to MommaMonster <<

Date: 9/27/12 12:13 PM

I don't know if I go along with their fittings. If I'm doing it correctly, according to your link, I'd be wearing a 34B which would be way too small in the cup. I measure 31-1/2 underneath and 36 across the bust.

halleyscomet
starstarstar
Intermediate
Pennsylvania USA
Member since 3/27/07
Send Message

In reply to MommaMonster <<

Date: 9/27/12 12:13 PM

I don't know if I go along with their fittings. If I'm doing it correctly, according to your link, I'd be wearing a 34B which would be way too small in the cup. I measure 31-1/2 underneath and 36 across the bust.

Yes I did go to Victoria Secret.
-- Edited on 9/27/12 12:15 PM --

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fitting Woes >> Upper bust measurement for B cup?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Break your Serger Out of the Box
Break your Serger Out of the Box

Register

Sewing Facings and Developing Facing Patterns
Sewing Facings and Developing Facing Patterns

Register

Beginner Sewing Lab 102 - A downloadable Book by Shannon Gifford

Beginner Sewing Lab 102  - A downloadable Book by Shannon Gifford

Buy Now
Sew Liberated Clara Dress Pattern

Sew Liberated Clara Dress Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.