SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Selling a sewing machine and embroidery machine. ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Selling a sewing machine and embroidery machine.
are these fair prices, too low or too high?
aka4512
aka4512  Friend of PR
Intermediate
AUSTRALIA
Member since 2/2/12
Send Message

Date: 9/26/12 7:17 PM

HI everyone. I have been thinking about selling my Brother NX200 sewing machine and a Janome 300E embroidery machine so I have space for a new sewing machine.
I have been debating on pricing and believe the prices I've come up with seems reasonable however I don't want it too lower nor to high but but in between to create a fair price for these machines. Here's the prices.

Brother NX200 sewing machine bought in October 2009, $300
Janome 300e embroidery machine bought in 2010, $500

I was having thoughts and suggestions from non-sewing friends to may be increase the price by about $100.
Brother NX200 $400 with increase
Janome 300E $600 with increase

Do you think these are fair prices. They are all in good working order I just don't use them very much.

------
Janome 300E
Bernina 1120
Bernina 1130s
Bernina 750QE
Bernina 1150MDA
From Sydney

sewfrequent

sewfrequent
Intermediate
TX USA
Member since 6/27/03
Send Message

Date: 9/26/12 7:55 PM

Your prices sound good to me. The 300e does use cards and so half of original price might be considered good. You may have to come down a tad on that one to move it but hopefully not. keep in mind if you're using craig's list people will want to offer a bit less so if you're not willing to do that, be sure to put FIRM in the ad. I find its best to mark up just a little bit so you can let your buyers think they're getting a better deal. But i've used FIRM also..and just sold one that way last month. If you're willing to hold/wait on a buyer, you could go with your friends' counsel...afterall, you can always come down some.
ETA: oh dear i just notice you're in australia! i have no idea about prices there..
-- Edited on 9/26/12 7:56 PM --

B

B
Intermediate
MN USA
Member since 12/5/03
Send Message

Date: 9/26/12 11:39 PM

I am curious why you would ask for more than you paid for them when they are used and the warranty probably doesn't cover them anymore. Has there been a great price increase in your country? I do see that a Janome 634D serger I bought online new a few years ago for $350 is now selling new for about $700.

Do you have something like ebay that you could use to compare prices?

------
Janome serger 634D, Brother PC6000, Singer 500A, Kenmore Mini-Ultra, vintage Bernina 600, White Rotary treadle, New Homestead A VS treadle

aka4512
aka4512  Friend of PR
Intermediate
AUSTRALIA
Member since 2/2/12
Send Message

In reply to B <<

Date: 9/27/12 0:33 AM

Oh sorry should have been more clear in pricing
I bought my Brother NX200 brand new for $699 My Janome 300e I bought it for $999 brand new.

The prices i've listed are what I am planning to charge for the machines.

------
Janome 300E
Bernina 1120
Bernina 1130s
Bernina 750QE
Bernina 1150MDA
From Sydney

SouthernStitch
starstarstar
SouthernStitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
LA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 9/27/12 7:35 AM

I paid $1000 for my Brother 1200 combo machine. I posted my ad at $500 and took $400 for it. I was eager not to have to ship it (I always underestimate shipping charges and get burned, cause I pack it correctly!) So having a local buyer was a plus for me.
It is important to ask a little more for it cause yes, they are going to want to negotiate!

------
Bernina 780, and 530
Juki TL2010
Babylock Evolution
Singer 403a

When life gives you green velvet curtains, make a green velvet dress.

aka4512
aka4512  Friend of PR
Intermediate
AUSTRALIA
Member since 2/2/12
Send Message

In reply to SouthernStitch <<

Date: 9/27/12 9:07 AM

I was thinking about the how much I would really make out of it. The minimum price would be $500 or $550 for the Janome
the Brother would be $300...

If I sell my Janome for $700 and the brother for say $500, would this heighten my chance for me to achieve my ideal profit?

------
Janome 300E
Bernina 1120
Bernina 1130s
Bernina 750QE
Bernina 1150MDA
From Sydney

tgm and Kittys
star
tgm and  Kittys  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 3/8/10
Send Message

In reply to aka4512 <<

Date: 9/27/12 9:54 AM

What are the dealers selling used sm for in your area? I would go a little less than that to ensure a sale.

------
Home of the adorable Baby & Mittee girl >^,,^
DH eye tumor is starting to shrink! Yipee!! This is very good news.
My kid brother had a triple bypass ..he made it.through the surgery okay. Please keep him in your prayers. A long road to recovery ahead, as more heart issues found. Still so glad he is okay.
"Dear God...Help me out please!" ..Fr. Eric
Might I say ..Thank you +

aka4512
aka4512  Friend of PR
Intermediate
AUSTRALIA
Member since 2/2/12
Send Message

Date: 9/28/12 4:34 AM

Okay I created an ad online for my Brother NX-200. here's a link to it, let me know how it is, if their should be any changes let me know.

My selling ad
-- Edited on 9/28/12 5:26 AM --

------
Janome 300E
Bernina 1120
Bernina 1130s
Bernina 750QE
Bernina 1150MDA
From Sydney

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
OH USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

In reply to aka4512 <<

Date: 9/28/12 10:10 AM

A couple editing issues:

"The stitch reference chart is on the fron of the machine.

on the front of the machine.

"Keep in mind these in perfection does NOT affect the way the machine operates and are still very practical."

these imperfections do not...., or this imperfection does not....

And a couple more thoughts; (1) What would the dealer give you on a trade-up? You could call and ask. Although it may depend on the trade-up model.

(2) Answers so far are being based on US prices and methods of selling and buying. This could be different in other coutries.

-- Edited on 9/28/12 10:25 AM --

------
I dont give them Hell, I just tell the truth about them and they think its Hell. Harry Truman

"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

zanylady
star
zanylady  Friend of PR
Advanced
MD USA
Member since 5/6/09
Send Message

Date: 9/28/12 6:47 PM

Just looked at your ad. I have discovered that adding a picture of the machine with actual sewing samples generates more interest. I have looked at machines that seller said they worked but when really pushed admitted that they did not sew.
Good luck.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Selling a sewing machine and embroidery machine.

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sewing Basics
Sewing Basics

Register

Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Register

Simplicity 8508

photo
by: maria 6705

Review
Petite Plus 604 Pattern

Petite Plus 604 Pattern

Buy Now
Fit For Art Trouser Details for Eureka Pants

Fit For Art Trouser Details for Eureka Pants

Buy Now
McCall's 5806

photo
by: sew silly

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.