SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Bought a new toy today - Brother SE400 ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Bought a new toy today - Brother SE400
... Now to swap it for the Elna Lotus I gave my granddaughter...
RipStitcher
star
RipStitcher
Advanced
Member since 5/28/12
Send Message

Date: 9/28/12 5:15 PM

So this was a total impulse purchase.

I have a client coming tonight that is going to be bringing her PE270D Disney machine here - and I was going to make a trade with her so I could play with that machine for a couple of months.

Mostly, I want to goof around with some digitizing software and see if I like this sort of thing. Need a machine to just stitch out some of my stuff and see how it all comes out.

Anyway... she told me she paid something like $1,500 for a Disney Brother... (and I didn't know the model # yet)... so I figured it would be a decent machine. I ran out and bought $200 worth of threads and stabilizer yesterday afternoon so we could play with it tonight.... Then later last night, I found out it was this 270 model - and then researched enough to see that it doesn't have a USB port! Aaaargh.

(no usb is a deal breaker for me)

I can't wait to see if that is what she really shows up with here tonight. $1,500?!?!?!?

Anyway... so I went on to Amazon today and they have the SE400 for $358. I hit the trigger on it... so it will be here tomorrow. Yay.

Maybe after it spits out a few cute designs my granddaughter will go nuts for it instead of her Lotus. If she does, then I'll swap her out (evil grandma that I am)... and I'll still buy some decent embroidery machine once I make up my mind.

I do want to take this one embroidery class next month... I would get to play with a 4 or 6 needle Babylock. :)

------
My pattern video is on www.BionicGearBag.com
The drama is on: www.RipStitcher.com

Wish list:
Sashiko
Ovation serger
Bernina 880 - Just cuz.
Bernina Tula Pink 350SE

Love my:
Babylock Ellisimo Gold
Bernina 550qe
ElnaPress

tgm and Kittys
star
tgm and  Kittys
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 3/8/10
Send Message

In reply to RipStitcher <<

Date: 9/28/12 5:48 PM

edit
-- Edited on 9/30/12 11:45 AM --

------
Home of the adorable Baby & Mittee girl >^,,^<
Mittee birthday 10/5/2009, The Baby 11/2/2000

Oh my..here we go again, no job...Sighing allot..almost 3 months & counting ...

Home to Hello Kitty Kate, Hello Kitty Valerie, Dottie Kenmore

karen149
star
karen149  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 3/4/05
online now
Send Message

In reply to tgm and Kittys <<

Date: 9/29/12 1:12 PM

Her lucky GD has the lovely and cute new Lotus. I had the Brother LB6800PRW version of this machine and my daughter caught on to it quickly but she wanted decorative stitches which the Innov-ís 950D has.
The nice thing about this SE-400 is that you can use the Bobbin Work Kit on it

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

Date: 9/29/12 1:31 PM

I also started ME on a whim and now, approximately $10,000 later find I use it more for quilting stitches than designs.

I have no little ones make cutesy things for.

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

RipStitcher
star
RipStitcher
Advanced
Member since 5/28/12
Send Message

Date: 9/29/12 11:01 PM

OK... the thing got delivered today. Work got in the way for a few hours... but I've had the last couple of hours to play on it.

I have been going through the manual on this thing (as my granddaughter is flying through a bin of scraps and turning them into her own little creations for dolls and the dogs around here... she's workin' on the Lotus) .... anyway....

This darn little machine is pretty sweeeeeet!

The one thing I did try, though, was to see if my 1/4 inch seam snap on foot would fit on this thing (it could be a great class machine) ... but alas, the foot on the Janome/Elnas don't work on this Brother. The rod that the ankle clicks into is not the same distance from the needle position. So if the foot goes "toes up" (after all we talked about going over bumps lately!!!) ... anyway... if the toe goes "toes up"... the needle on the Brother will hit the Janome foot. Bummer, dude.

I was soooooo not gonna buy extra footsies and stuff for this machine... but now that I'm up to about page 70 of the manual, I already want to try the slicing/dicing foot (it's got an optional foot you can buy that turns this little gem into a wannabe-serger!)

And of course.. now I want to get a 1/4 inch piecing foot for it.

The markings on the needleplate are enough to drive me nuts. The markings are created with the needle in far left position - not center. So the 1/4" mark is somewhere under the foot. Not directly in the center (heck no!) .. nor is it against the right of the foot (heck no, too!)... so that's just goofy to me. But for $358, what do I expect, huh?

So the granddaughter wants to play with it... it's got 60some stitches instead of the New Elna Lotus' 18.

I still love the feel of the lotus... its just so cute... so before this is over, Grandma is gonna have that Janome 12000 or a 10 needle machine... and that New Lotus as a class machine... and dear granddaughter can have this Brother.

So tonight, I think I'm headed to the liquor store to get stuff to make this sangria I had a Joe's Crab Shack a couple of weeks ago... and then the goal is to get a design off Urban Threads (love the stuff there!) and into this little bugger and stitch it out.

For what it's worth... if you haven't been to urbanthreads.com, you should check it out.. they have a freebie every once in a while that is super cute.. and right now they have some cute birdies wearing winter scarves.

Stay tuned...

------

Wish list:
Sashiko
Ovation serger
Bernina 880 - Just cuz.
Bernina Tula Pink 350SE

Love my:
Babylock Ellisimo Gold
Bernina 550qe
ElnaPress

SouthernStitch
starstarstar
SouthernStitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 9/29/12 11:14 PM

Even my Brother Innovis 1200 had that needle left default, and I hated that! There should be a chart in the manual though, that tells you how to easily get a quarter inch, or other size seams too. But you might have to move the needle to the right every time.
Have fun! I love urban threads too. Their stuff is a welcome relief from the multitudes of kiddy looking, or overly silly embroidery designs.

------
Bernina 780, and 530
Juki TL2010
Babylock Evolution
Singer 403a

When life gives you green velvet curtains, make a green velvet dress.

sewplenty
sewplenty
Advanced
Washington USA
Member since 4/1/12
Send Message

Date: 9/30/12 2:01 AM

I have the Brother Innovis 900D which is very similar to yours. It's a great little machine and perfect for the small amount of embroidery work I do. It has a USB and I have downloaded designs. The only reason I do not use it for my main sewing machine is that it is too small. I like a large machine for sewing. But, this Brother has been a workhorse.

------
Singer Quintet
Brother 1034D
Singer Stylist II Serger
Singer Heavy Duty 5532
Singer Signature (New One)
New Home Combi DX
Singer 319
Singer Featherweight 221

RipStitcher
star
RipStitcher
Advanced
Member since 5/28/12
Send Message

Date: 9/30/12 2:05 AM

So this was fun.....

Puckered just a little... but I wanted to see if the sticky stabilizer was enough on quilting cotton to make it behave... the answer: almost.

This is going on another handbag of some sort.... I love it.

------

Wish list:
Sashiko
Ovation serger
Bernina 880 - Just cuz.
Bernina Tula Pink 350SE

Love my:
Babylock Ellisimo Gold
Bernina 550qe
ElnaPress

lgrande
star
lgrande  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 1/18/12
Send Message

Date: 9/30/12 9:13 AM

Rip,
VERY clever!!!

------
Linda

Bernina 830LE - Brother Dreamweaver VQ3000 - Bernina B530 - Janome 6600P - Pfaff 1209 - Babylock Evolution - Janome 644 - Babylock Sashiko2 - Babylock BLCS-2

SouthernStitch
starstarstar
SouthernStitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 9/30/12 10:00 AM

Ah yes, now you're hooked! Fun, fun! Sometimes makes me nervous, but most of the time it's all good.

------
Bernina 780, and 530
Juki TL2010
Babylock Evolution
Singer 403a

When life gives you green velvet curtains, make a green velvet dress.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Bought a new toy today - Brother SE400

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Register

Altering Jackets
Altering Jackets

Register

No Pattern Used Online Tutorial

photo
by: CathyWeeks

Review
Fit For Art Tabula Rasa Jacket Pattern

Fit For Art Tabula Rasa Jacket Pattern

Buy Now
Paradiso Designs Okashi Courier Bag Pattern

Paradiso Designs Okashi Courier Bag Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.