SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Vintage Sewing > Victorian School Girl Costume ( Moderated by JEF)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Victorian School Girl Costume
What did poor girls wear to school in England in the Victorian era?
twinkle72
star
twinkle72
Advanced Beginner
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 4/20/09
Send Message

Date: 9/29/12 12:10 PM

My daughter is going on a living history trip this Friday. The children are all 8/9 years old and are supposed to dress as up as poor children. It is the later Victorian era, sometime between 1862 and 1901. A big span, I know!
The teachers have suggested that girls wear a mop cap, long skirt and shawl held together by a brooch!
I thought they wore below the knee, but shorter dresses in dark colours, with white aprons and hair up, but not in caps. The brooch sounds expensive, if we are poor.
Is there anyone who really knows out there?

stirwatersblue
star
stirwatersblue
Intermediate
Kansas USA
Member since 12/13/08
Send Message

Date: 9/29/12 12:47 PM

This might help:
http://www.ushist.com/victorian_childrens_clothing_f.shtml

------
~Gem in the prairie

loti
starstarstar
loti  Friend of PR
Advanced
Florida USA
Member since 5/27/04
Send Message

Date: 9/29/12 1:31 PM

This might be the shawl, maybe the brooch was a safety pin (don't know if that would be correct for the period).

------
"A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous.
Coco Chanel

Stash Sewn in 2011 148.5 Yds
Stash Sewn in 2012.... counting...

http://adonising.blogspot.com

sugarduck
star
sugarduck
Intermediate
FRANCE
Member since 2/7/10
Send Message

Date: 9/29/12 2:18 PM

That sounds like an interesting class trip. As far as the costume goes, this site proposes a "Victorian poor girl" outfit that sounds similar to what your daughter's school described (minus the shawl and brooch, plus the white apron). I'm not sure how historically accurate it is, though.
Good luck finding more information.

Stargirl7

Stargirl7
Member since 6/28/06
Send Message

In reply to twinkle72 <<

Date: 9/29/12 2:27 PM

I always overthink these things. I can't tell you how much time I've put into researching historically accurate Pilgrim costumes, garb from various ancient cultures, national dress of various countries, etc. :-) Enjoy the project, but if it gets stressful, remember that all of the rest of the kids in the class will not have that kind of mom.

I find that thrift shops are great sources for ready-made things, as they often have the patina of having been worn, which makes them feel more "real". Things a bit too big can look more authentic. Stick with natural fabrics - cotton (either solid color or woven plaid), linen, leather. Tell the story with accessories - shawl, hat, apron, hairstyle, perhaps a bag of some sort. Plain leather footwear, like boy's dress shoes, works for most eras. Depending on the era, I will often cut the collar off of a dress shirt, or tuck it in. If your child is that young, you've got a lot of school trips ahead of you - separates (and accessories) can build a useful "stash" from which to mix-and-match for future costumes.

Thrift shops can also save you time by providing fabric and some of the sewing - for example, a linen skirt can be made quickly into an apron - split it up the back, cut a long 2"-4" strip from each side and sew them together into one long strip to make the waist/ties, on the remaining piece, keep the original hem intact, hem the sides, and gather the top, sew the top onto the waistband, fold waistband up bias-tape-style and topstitch closed.

A poor child might not have had a brooch, but it will make the costume easier for the child to wear on the trip, which matters! Sometimes we make up stories about the outfit - one "Pilgrim jacket" I made was a navy boiled wool Gap cardigan with assorted gold buttons sewn on (worn over a white shirt with collar and cuffs, with long cotton skirt and linen apron); we decided that the Pilgrim child's mom had saved the buttons, from adult clothing, in her button jar, and used what she had available on the child's jacket, which is why they didn't match each other. So perhaps this poor child had a rich aunt who bequeathed her the brooch because the child had shown her a small kindness, or some such fantasy. :-)
-- Edited on 9/29/12 2:29 PM --
-- Edited on 9/29/12 2:34 PM --
-- Edited on 9/29/12 2:34 PM --

twinkle72
star
twinkle72
Advanced Beginner
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 4/20/09
Send Message

In reply to loti <<

Date: 9/29/12 3:01 PM

Very helpful pics, thanks!

twinkle72
star
twinkle72
Advanced Beginner
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 4/20/09
Send Message

In reply to Stargirl7 <<

Date: 9/29/12 3:02 PM

You are right, I have years of this to go with a second daughter behind her! These are all good tips.

twinkle72
star
twinkle72
Advanced Beginner
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 4/20/09
Send Message

In reply to sugarduck <<

Date: 9/29/12 3:03 PM

Yes! This is the sort of thing that I was imagining. I wonder why the teachers are telling us different?

twinkle72
star
twinkle72
Advanced Beginner
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 4/20/09
Send Message

In reply to stirwatersblue <<

Date: 9/29/12 6:09 PM

Thanks for the link, will have a look!

KiwiWendy
starstarstar
KiwiWendy
Advanced
International AUSTRALIA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to twinkle72 <<

Date: 9/29/12 7:23 PM

At that time girls didn't wear their hair up until they were considered women/marriagable. It really was a social signal that she was no longer to be viewed as a child., Tied back or the top pulled back, but not up.

Personally I wouldn't think a portrait photograph could be afforded by a poor family, so it's not truly representative of a poor girls appearance, although there was a big market in second hand clothes. This link is to some 1870s Bishopsgate photos that are of the poor and street views.

A teacher might know the history of the time but still have a poor knowledge of the clothing, it's a field of study in it's own :)

------
Sydney, Australia

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Vintage Sewing >> Victorian School Girl Costume

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Understanding Wool Fabrics
Understanding Wool Fabrics

Register

Fit the Tee to a T
Fit the Tee to a T

Register

Vogue Patterns 1549

photo
by: becca a

Review
Everyday Baskets

Everyday Baskets

Buy Now
Christine Jonson Taper Pant & Wide Leg Pant

Christine Jonson Taper Pant & Wide Leg Pant

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.