SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Machines > Singer Machine Latest and Newest Edition? ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Singer Machine Latest and Newest Edition?
Does that matter?
NottaWadder
star
NottaWadder
Advanced Beginner
Member since 6/17/12
Send Message

Date: 10/2/12 9:56 AM

I am buying a Singer Quantum 9960.... I found a great deal at amazon but now I see that its not the Latest and Newest Edition. For $65 more I can get a Latest and Newest Edition.

The only difference I can SEE is a fancy decal on the newest one and it comes with a hard case (which most people do not seem to like very much).

But is there something that I cannot SEE that would make the Latest and Newest Edition worth the extra $65??

Thanks for any input!

------
My Singer crew:
Sergei - Serger 14T968DC (set up as coverstitch)
Stella - Serger Stylist II 14J250 (set up as main overlock)
Quincy - Quantum 9960 (my main SM)
Newest addition: Stevie, my very first Featherweight! (221 Centennial)

txcwgrlmom
txcwgrlmom
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 7/15/12
Send Message

Date: 10/2/12 11:24 PM

What is the latest addition? By the way I Ave the 9940 and i love this machine.

NottaWadder
star
NottaWadder
Advanced Beginner
Member since 6/17/12
Send Message

Date: 10/3/12 8:28 AM

I finally found the answer to this. Apparently the older editions have a bobbin jamming problem and the new editions do not.

Unfortunately I did not find out til this morning and now it is too late to cancel my order. So I have my fingers crossed that I don't get one with this issue.

------
My Singer crew:

sewingsilly
star
sewingsilly
Expert/Couture
Florida USA
Member since 1/29/10
Send Message

In reply to NottaWadder <<

Date: 10/3/12 9:27 AM

I have this machine, the newer addition and love it! Mine has the graphic on the front. You get alot of features for the buck in this machine. I love the cutter. It just hums along and sews a beautiful straight stitch. Good luck!!

------
strikesmyfancy-2013.blogspot.com

What's Meant for You Won't Pass You By.

NottaWadder
star
NottaWadder
Advanced Beginner
Member since 6/17/12
Send Message

In reply to sewingsilly <<

Date: 10/3/12 9:36 AM

Quote: sewingsilly
I have this machine, the newer addition and love it! Mine has the graphic on the front. You get alot of features for the buck in this machine. I love the cutter. It just hums along and sews a beautiful straight stitch. Good luck!!

Thank you!

I have now found out that there is a possibility that I AM getting the latest edition... I will know by end of day today.

I did a lot of research before buying this machine and it sure seems like a whole lot of machine for the bucks. So I am very excited to get it and I am happy to hear that you are happy with yours too!

------
My Singer crew:

Pj3g
star
Pj3g  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Wisconsin USA
Member since 2/14/11
Send Message

Date: 10/3/12 9:52 AM

The 9960 has always had stellar reviews so I wouldn't worry. The one thing Singer hasn't done well is they do not put in many owners manuals the way the bobbin thread should lay once you pull up the thread with the needle thread. On drop in bobbin SM's the thread must lay across the left part of the bobbin like in the photo below. If it's not like this, the machine will not sew correctly causing what appears to be tension problems, jamming or other issues. Any adjustments to the machine will be useless if the thread is not across the bobbin.

Enjoy your new machine! I'm sure you'll love it!

------
Thank you Lord for my Mother who taught me the joy of sewing, for my Father who encouraged my sewing, for the talent You gave me to sew, and for all the special people in my life to sew for.

NottaWadder
star
NottaWadder
Advanced Beginner
Member since 6/17/12
Send Message

In reply to Pj3g <<

Date: 10/3/12 11:42 AM

Thank you so much for this, I especially appreciate the picture because that always makes it so much clearer!

My machine arrived and not only is it the latest edition, it came with the hard cover even though it was not mentioned in the description.

So I feel like I got a fabulous deal and am very happy. Now its time to go put him together and play!

If anyone is interested, the best price I could find on this machine was $329 with free shipping through amazon. The next price up was about $65 higher on ebay (and that was a sale price so it might have already gone up).

------
My Singer crew:

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

Date: 10/3/12 12:34 PM

These were some of the last good Singer machines. It has a lot to offer for the price.

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

NottaWadder
star
NottaWadder
Advanced Beginner
Member since 6/17/12
Send Message

In reply to quiltingwolf <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 10/3/12 2:22 PM

Quote: quiltingwolf
These were some of the last good Singer machines. It has a lot to offer for the price.

I now have 3 Singer machines (2 are sergers) and I think they are all been really great value for the money.

I know Singer is not popular around here but I think Singer has really come back around in recent years and I sure know I have not had anything to really complain about.

At one point I almost talked myself into the Babylock serger, either the Evolve or Evolution. Then I realized that for half the price of a used Babylock I could have 3 brand new Singer machines.

True, I will not have the jet air threading, but with two sergers (one as a coverstitch) I won't be doing nearly the amount of threading that I was doing.

------
My Singer crew:

Pj3g
star
Pj3g  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Wisconsin USA
Member since 2/14/11
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 10/3/12 4:32 PM

I totally agree Jaytwo! I have 3 Singer SM's and 3 Singer sergers! All work great and love them all!

I love that I can set up 1, 2 or 3 SM's or sergers for different stitches and/or colors and put together a project with ease without stopping to change anything. For me it's a win, win situation. My six machines cost much less than one Babylock serger. I find threading sergers very easy so for me needing a Babylock is a non issue.

I've only done a review on my Singer Superb. I keep thinking I'll get the rest written but so far it hasn't happened as I like to make them thorough. None of mine are embroider machines as I have no urge to do that. But I do love decorative stitches and have lots of those.

------
Thank you Lord for my Mother who taught me the joy of sewing, for my Father who encouraged my sewing, for the talent You gave me to sew, and for all the special people in my life to sew for.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Singer Machine Latest and Newest Edition?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Create a Jacket Muslin
Create a Jacket Muslin

Register

Leather 101
Leather 101

Register

SewBaby The Sleeve Saver Bib Pattern

SewBaby The Sleeve Saver Bib Pattern

Buy Now
Favorite Things Lounge Around Pattern

Favorite Things Lounge Around Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.