SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sewing Techniques and Tips > Linings and facings ( Moderated by MissCelie)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Linings and facings
Need help with a skirt facing/lining
Marie367
Marie367  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 5/28/11
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 10/2/12 1:00 PM

Gee it has been years (literally) since I dealt with this problem and I want to know if I am on track. I am making McCalls 3830 skirt skirt. the pattern calls for a facing at the waist and I am putting in a lining. If I was putting on a waistband, it would be easy enough. I think I need the facing to give the waist some stability-should I attach the lining to the facing then the facing to the skirt? I looked in my sewing book and didn't find an answer but that makes sense to me. I don't want the facing flopping around on top of the lining. Am I thinking right or is there an easier way?
Should I just use a narrow waistband?

marec
starstarstarstar
marec  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/11/08
Send Message

In reply to Marie367 <<

Date: 10/2/12 3:25 PM

Hi Marie, I'd do what you mentioned above-attach the lining to the facing. I think just adding the lining would not give enough strength to the zipper area.

------
my blog: http://kf-biblioblog.blogspot.com/
The more I learn, the less I know.

Courtney Ostaff
Courtney Ostaff
Intermediate
West Virginia USA
Member since 11/23/10
Send Message

In reply to Marie367 <<

Date: 10/2/12 6:30 PM

Excellent question! I am not sure of the answer.

Lynnelle
starstarstar
Lynnelle  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Michigan USA
Member since 4/8/07
Board Moderator
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 10/2/12 6:58 PM

I've used this method several times and have had no problems.

marec
starstarstarstar
marec  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/11/08
Send Message

In reply to Lynnelle <<

Date: 10/2/12 11:08 PM

Thanks for the link Lynnelle, that is a good explanation of how to add a lining easily.

------
my blog: http://kf-biblioblog.blogspot.com/
The more I learn, the less I know.

Marie367
Marie367  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 5/28/11
Send Message

In reply to Lynnelle <<

Date: 10/2/12 11:20 PM

The picture on the link does not make sense to me. My brain or the fact that it is 11:19 pm here However I think the directions are the exact thing that I was thinking about. Thanks for the link!

Lynnelle
starstarstar
Lynnelle  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Michigan USA
Member since 4/8/07
Board Moderator
Send Message

In reply to Marie367 <<

Date: 10/3/12 7:11 PM

The picture illustrates the inside of the skirt. If sewn correctly, the wrong side of your shell fabric will face the wrong side of the facing-lining unit. Does it make sense now?

Marie367
Marie367  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 5/28/11
Send Message

Date: 10/5/12 4:23 PM

Well I have finished the skirt waistband. I am pretty pleased with the results. Here is a pic
I cut out the lining to match the skirt, put the darts in the lining and then attaching the facing. I used the Threads idea that Lynelle pointed me to which is what I thought might work. I serged the edge of the facing before attaching it to the lining and then attached it flat with a zig-zag stitch to the facing right side up. Then I attached it to the skirt. It worked great!
Now, question #2. The lower CB seam is open at the bottom to allow for walking ease. I added extra to the seams because I didn't like the way the pattern wanted to only use the seam allowance. I like the placket (is that the right word?). Not sure if that makes sense but here is a pic:

I at first thought that I could serge both fabrics together but I don't think that would work because I need to hem them separately then attach them somehow at that seam. or do I? Ideas anyone?

Marie367
Marie367  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 5/28/11
Send Message

Date: 10/6/12 8:20 PM

Just bringing this to the top. Does anyone have any ideas about the attaching the vents-the lining and the fabric vent?

Lynnelle
starstarstar
Lynnelle  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Michigan USA
Member since 4/8/07
Board Moderator
Send Message

In reply to Marie367 <<

Date: 10/7/12 7:08 PM

Below are some sites that discuss how to line the skirt vent. For some techniques, you have to adjust the lining pattern before you cut it out.

you tube video
another link
Kay's method

Threads has an article about this in an older issue. When I find it, I'll post it here.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Techniques and Tips >> Linings and facings

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fit the Tee to a T
Fit the Tee to a T

Register

Put it on the Bias
Put it on the Bias

Register

Simplicity 2409

photo
by: Futuralon

Review
Sew Chic Clara Bow Apron Pattern (ln102)

Sew Chic Clara Bow Apron Pattern (ln102)

Buy Now
Fusible Interfacing DVD

Fusible Interfacing DVD

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.