SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Patterns and Notions > Style Arc Pattern Sizing ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Style Arc Pattern Sizing
What size do I buy?
Sewing Addict
star
Sewing Addict
Intermediate
Alberta CANADA
Member since 2/28/05
Send Message

Date: 10/2/12 3:25 PM

Hi.

I am considering ordering some Style Arc patterns and was wondering if the sizing charts on their website are the finished garment measurements? I don't want to order a pattern to discover it is the incorrect size. Also, are these patterns close-fitting or do they have plenty of ease? Any feedback/suggestions are welcomed -- thank-you

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to Sewing Addict <<

Date: 10/2/12 3:35 PM

email them. In my experience with this, they are more than willing to advise you personally about what's the best size for you for tops and/or bottoms. And they'll answer fast!

wenznz
star
wenznz  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
NEW ZEALAND
Member since 7/8/11
Send Message

Date: 10/2/12 4:24 PM

I would second the recommendation to email them. Chloe is very responsive and always happy to help.

As they state on their website, the patterns are designed with a RTW fit, so not tons of ease like you find in Big 4 patterns.
The size charts are based on body measurements, and although there aren't actual pattern photos, the drawings are fairly accurate in how a garment will fit if you order to your measurements.

HTH
Wendy

------
Wendy
Wellington, New Zealand

Sew4Fun
starstarstarstar
Sew4Fun
Advanced
AUSTRALIA
Member since 6/23/04
Send Message

Date: 10/2/12 6:26 PM

As everyone else has said, email them. They have fantastic customer service.

Generally speaking though the patterns are true to size, unlike the Big 4. The measurement chart on their website is body measurements and if you choose by your measurements the pattern will fit.

The amount of ease various depending on the style but overall these patterns are a close fit, again not like the Big 4. No unnecessary excess ease.

There are lots of reviews too here on PR which I suggest you read. HTH

------
Belinda. Melbourne, Australia
http://sew-4-fun.blogspot.com/

unfinishedprojects
starstar
unfinishedprojects  Friend of PR
Advanced
Alberta CANADA
Member since 8/26/07
Send Message

Date: 10/2/12 7:06 PM

I would recommend looking at the measurements chart of a pattern brand that you usually work with. Find the measurements for the size you usually make, and choose the Style Arc size that corresponds.

KathleenS
starstar
KathleenS  Friend of PR
Intermediate
International AUSTRALIA
Member since 11/18/02
Send Message

Date: 10/3/12 6:44 AM

Like Belinda I have found the patterns to be very true to size. I took my measurements carefully and chose the size that matched best and it worked well.

lyndle
star
lyndle  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
NEW ZEALAND
Member since 3/19/06
Send Message

In reply to unfinishedprojects <<

Date: 10/4/12 4:11 AM

Quote: unfinishedprojects
I would recommend looking at the measurements chart of a pattern brand that you usually work with. Find the measurements for the size you usually make, and choose the Style Arc size that corresponds.

But note that Style Arc has, as others have said, a LOT less ease than the Big 4. This IMO is among the reasons that make the patterns so easy to work with. I am size 18 to 22 in Style Arc (ie plus size) and have found sizing to be very accurate to the measurements given. Measure yourself, check the chart and order that size. As the others have said, if in any doubt email Chloe, she gives EXcellent customer service.
lyndle
star
lyndle  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
NEW ZEALAND
Member since 3/19/06
Send Message

In reply to unfinishedprojects <<

Date: 10/4/12 4:11 AM

Sorry duplicate post
-- Edited on 10/4/12 4:12 AM --

JocelynJ
JocelynJ
Intermediate
Member since 11/29/11
Send Message

Date: 10/4/12 5:23 AM

When I looked at their sizing, I was confused. Not hard to do. It looked like there was only one size in a package; is that correct? So if you needed a larger bust and smaller waist/hip, you couldn't combine sizes on one garment, or go up or down a size or two, depending on body "changes" or fabric used, etc. Is that correct, because if that is the case, then this pattern company is not for me, as I need more leeway than just one size to choose from. Anyone know the answer here? Thanks in advance.

sewpelican
sewpelican  Friend of PR
Intermediate
AUSTRALIA
Member since 8/18/11
Send Message

In reply to JocelynJ <<

Date: 10/4/12 5:53 AM

I am new to StyleArc patterns . a month ago for my first order I chose Creative Cate in size 10. I have narrow shoulders and my hips are really size 12.
I traced the pattern and measured my hips, decided I probably needed the 12 for there. I emailed Chloe to ask her advice, ( having read several members suggest to contact her). She replied promptly, sent me a diagram showing where and how to add to the seam allowance , I actually used the side seam allowances as my stitching line, it worked well. I kept the shoulder seam as in size 10.
I am pleased with the result. Next time I sew it I may tweak it but it is good enough to wear out. HTH.

------
Joan
Sunshine Coast QLD

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Patterns and Notions >> Style Arc Pattern Sizing

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Altering Jackets
Altering Jackets

Register

Understanding Interfacings
Understanding Interfacings

Register

Contest Mini Wardrobe Contest

photo
by: Janiki

Review
Lolita Patterns Olive Peplum Top Pattern

Lolita Patterns Olive Peplum Top Pattern

Buy Now
Victory Madeleine Paper Pattern

Victory Madeleine Paper Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.