SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Beginner's Forum > Is Sewing Clothes Cheaper than Buying them? ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Is Sewing Clothes Cheaper than Buying them?
davidxy887
davidxy887
Member since 9/28/12
Send Message

Date: 10/2/12 10:09 PM

Hello,

A beginner here. I was thinking on learning how to sew in order to save money. I would sew my own pants, jeans, formal shirts, t-shirts, do my own alterations for clothes that I buy.
Now that I'm really looking into it I'm not sure any more.

Do you really save money by learning how to sew?

Thanks

Marie367
Marie367  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 5/28/11
Send Message

In reply to davidxy887 <<

Date: 10/2/12 10:19 PM

It used to be that you could save alot of money sewing. Not so much now. You can save some though and there are some bargains out there. The big advantage is that you can make clothes that actually fit and you get the joy of wearing things that you know you made-there is an enjoyment factor for me. Have you checked out the Sewing For Men Thread? There are quite a few men who sew on here.

AliceM
star
AliceM
Advanced
Illinois USA
Member since 4/30/05
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 10/2/12 10:22 PM

Depends on where you buy your clothes. If you like high end clothing you will save money sewing. On the other hand, if you mostly shop discount stores your sewn clothes will cost more. The good thing is that they will fit better and be the style and colors that YOU want instead of what the stores buyers think is in style.

NhiHuynh
starstarstar
NhiHuynh
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 1/4/11
Send Message

In reply to davidxy887 <<

Date: 10/2/12 10:23 PM

It really depends on what type of clothing you normally buy and how your source your materials and how your value your time.

I shop for fabric at the LA garment district so I can get quality fabric and notions fairly inexpensively. I also buy patterns on sale and don't make muslins.

In most cases I'd say that I save money. I use to spend $70 for a pair of pants, I can make a pair for $20. I used to spend $50-$100 on a swim suit, I recent one I made cost less than $15. I use to spend $40 on a blouse, the last one I made cost less than $10.

I don't count my time because I love making things. If I weren't sewing I'd be doing some other crafts.

------
I finally have a blog. www.detectivehoundstooth.com :)

hazelnut
star
hazelnut  Friend of PR
Beginner
USA
Member since 1/7/09
Send Message

Date: 10/2/12 10:33 PM

For me, definitely, yes!

Fruzzle

Fruzzle
Intermediate
Member since 1/26/07
Send Message

Date: 10/2/12 10:55 PM

For me the answer is yes, but only on big-ticket items. And there was a longish learning curve to get there.

I can buy a simple t-shirt for $20. The fabric plus notions plus pattern for that would be more than $20. On the other hand, I just spent $150 on really fancy silk for a skirt for a formal occasion. To buy in a store what I plan to make out of the fabric I'm using would probably run me $400.

Mikgirl
star
Mikgirl
Member since 2/24/10
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 10/2/12 11:06 PM

To me it does save money. If I buy something that is in my price range at the store, it falls apart really fast. But you can buy quality fabric for less, and make something that fits me better.
That was my first reason to start sewing, but now I can't buy anything from the store because I notice the ill-fit.
My recent acomplishment was a pair of jeans.
I could never find RTW jeans that fits me, but now I made one and can't go back!
I love making something that fits me perfectly.

PattyE
starstarstar
PattyE  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/7/10
Send Message

Date: 10/2/12 11:41 PM

I believe in the long run it really does save you big money. The garments we make will be worn more and last longer so that is a definate savings. There's alot to be said for the quality we put into the clothes we make, compared to what's in the stores, unless you shop designer.

------
Stash: 174.845 yds. @ 12.20.14

stirwatersblue
star
stirwatersblue
Intermediate
Kansas USA
Member since 12/13/08
Send Message

Date: 10/2/12 11:42 PM

Not for me--and if I factor in my time, DEFINITELY not. Which is why I sew only specialty items (historical costumes) and gifts--NOT my regular wardrobe. Frex, the prices that NhiHuynh cited for her RTW clothes are more than I personally prefer to spend.I remember looking for a special item of clothing for a very special event (an awards ceremony for an award that I won), and looking at prices on satin blouses--around $70. My mom suggested that I make one, and I entertained the idea--and very quickly realized that at the pace that I sew, even at the scandalously low rate of $10/hour, there was no way I could make the blouse for less than $70--and that was just for my labor! For a second example, I just decided to buy an apron I liked for $12, because I knew I couldn't make one for less than that. :)

YMMV, however!

------
~Gem in the prairie

colormefun
star
colormefun
Advanced
Member since 11/30/06
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 10/2/12 11:45 PM

Well, you can definitely save money by learning how to do your own alterations. Hemming is super easy to learn and places charge a lot for it in my opinion.

If you only want to save money and you're not in it because you want to learn to sew to make unique items then you'd definitely be better off just being a bargain shopper at the mall. With everything being mass-produced and outsourced to other countries lower end clothes are cheaper than you can make yourself. Have you ever been to the website www.slickdeals.net ? My friend trolls there all the time and lets me know if he sees something good. Their users post ridiculous deals with stacked coupons, etc. I went to town the other day at limited.com and was getting like $3 blouses, etc. with all the coupons.

------
www.foxydigitalpaper.etsy.com
www.thevarmintden.etsy.com

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> Is Sewing Clothes Cheaper than Buying them?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Register

Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Register

McCall's 6519

photo
by: MrsCharism...

Review
Shapes Four Good Measure Pattern (Size 1-3)

Shapes Four Good Measure Pattern (Size 1-3)

Buy Now
Checkbook Cover

Checkbook Cover

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.