SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Sergers, Coverstitch and Blindhemmers > serger cleaning and maintenance ( Moderated by CarolynGM, Deepika)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
serger cleaning and maintenance
canned air, yes or no
Juanita47
star
Juanita47  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
West Virginia USA
Member since 9/18/06
Send Message

Date: 10/3/12 9:10 PM

Some people, even Nancy Zieman, say it is ok to use canned air to clean sergers. Others say absolutely not - I just signed up for a craftsy class and the part on cleaning the serger said "never use canned air". I have a Babylock evolution which I love and hope to have for a very long time. I want to keep it clean and well maintained but am in a quandry as to exactly how. What are your thoughts and how do you keep your sergers clean? thanks so much for sharing - I learn so much here.

Changma
star
Changma  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
New York USA
Member since 2/20/12
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 10/3/12 9:18 PM

Posted this in another thread, too...those tiny vacuum attachments (Clotilde's or Nancy's Notions or some such place sells them) work wonders...you aren't pushing debris back into the machine.

hazelnut
star
hazelnut  Friend of PR
Beginner
USA
Member since 1/7/09
Send Message

In reply to Juanita47 <<

Date: 10/3/12 10:21 PM

Juanita47, I've been using a vacuum and the little attachments that Chagma mentioned above. Yesterday I visited a Babylock dealer and asked the same question of him that you're asking here. Regarding canned air, he basically said that it depends on whether or not your serger has a side door "in addition to the front door", so that you can blow the debris *through and out* the other end and not have it pack inside. Vacuuming is the better option for my Brother 1034D, which only has a front door opening for cleaning, so I'm glad I've been cleaning it this way (and thank you Mufffet, for that cleaning tip).

heathergwo
heathergwo
Advanced Beginner
California USA
Member since 11/14/11
Send Message

Date: 10/3/12 10:26 PM

I use a small paintbrush (cheap) to clean out a lot of the dust & debris and then vacuum it up with one of those small vacuums. I find it hard to get even those small attachments INTO the machine, so the painbrush works really well. AFTER I've cleaned the majority of the debris out, I will use a little canned air to get any pieces I might have missed, but I use it sparingly and aim it more toward the side rather than straight in.

HTH!

------
Brother Innovis 1250D
Babylock Enlighten
Singer Curvy 8763
Brother 1034D
Janome 385.19606
Brother 2340CV

Warbler
star
Warbler  Friend of PR
Advanced
Vermont USA
Member since 4/15/07
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 10/3/12 10:33 PM

I heard the problem with canned air is sometimes there is moisture in it because of the propellents which is not so good for the inner working of a sewing machine. I use the vacuum and Microbrush tips seen here.

------
Janome MC6600 Bernina 240 Juki MO735 Singer 201-2 Singer 221-1

TamNearPDX
TamNearPDX
Advanced Beginner
Washington USA
Member since 1/16/08
Send Message

Date: 10/3/12 11:52 PM

They use these mini compressors to clean computers... I assume they get a thumbs up for sergers and sewing machines
-- Edited on 10/3/12 11:52 PM --

PattyGee
PattyGee  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 11/12/03
Send Message

In reply to Juanita47 <<

Date: 10/4/12 0:10 AM

Juanita47 - I was at a class given by the Bobbin Doctor (he maintains and repairs sewing machines and sergers). He said never use compressed air on sergers or sewing machines, his example: a customer brought a serger in it was perfectly clean in the looper area, but it wouldn't work, wouldn't auto thread. The compressed air that the customer used to clean her BL evolution was packed with lint into the tubes for (auto threading).

------
Patty
Bernina 530, Bernina 200e with upgrade 730, BL Enlighten Serger, BL Coverstitch and Juki TL-2010Q.

Sharon48
star
Sharon48  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/17/12
Send Message

Date: 10/4/12 1:06 AM

Great information - I also have a BL Evolution and did buy canned air. The Evolution does have a side door, but I will be more wary now. When I bought it, I asked how best to clean it and was told about the canned air..............will question them more next time I'm in the shop.

------
Sewing is a passion, so relaxing and calming!

Babylock Ellisimo Gold
Babylock Evolution
Babylock Melody
Viking 190
BLCS-2 (I know, I know - but had
to have it!!)
Babylock Embellisher
Singer 401A

mastdenman
star
mastdenman  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 1/12/04
Send Message

Date: 10/4/12 1:16 AM

I use canned air but do hold the nozzle a ways from the interior of the machine. But my serger is a mechanical only. So there really isn't any damage done.

------
Marilyn

January 2009 to January 2010 81 yards out and 71yards in January 2010 to the present 106.7 yards out and 146.5 yards in. January 2011 to the present: 47 yards out and 69 yards in.

sewpelican
sewpelican  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Queensland Australia
Member since 8/18/11
Send Message

Date: 10/4/12 1:19 AM

Thanks for all this information, really helpful. I have used a slightly stubby paint brush, make sure it's not a cheap one to avoid loose hairs will that may get caught and remain in side BL serger or any sm. I also use the tiny vacuum , it works well. Good for computer keyboards too.

------
Joan
Sunshine Coast QLD

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sergers, Coverstitch and Blindhemmers >> serger cleaning and maintenance

Merchants on PR

Fitz Like a Glove Ironing Board Cover

Made In Australia
Deals!

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Nature's Fabrics

Natural & Organic Fabrics
Deals!

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Break your Serger Out of the Box
Break your Serger Out of the Box

Class Details

Online Class
Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Class Details

BurdaStyle Magazine 08-2009-107

photo
by: birdmcfarl...

Review
Simplicity 7196 (OOP)

photo
by: Leu

Review
Chloe Handbag

Chloe Handbag

More Info
SewBaby The Twirly Dress Pattern

SewBaby The Twirly Dress Pattern

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.