SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Miscellaneous > Having a very personal surgery... ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Having a very personal surgery...
What do I tell people??
Canadian Jane
star
Canadian Jane
Advanced Beginner
Alberta CANADA
Member since 10/30/10
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 10/4/12 3:07 PM

I decided to have breast reduction surgery. In Canada the que is long for these things. Today I got the call to schedule an appt. I was thinking January but it looks like I could have it done in November.

I am scared but I know it is the right thing to do. Here is my dilema.

I don't want to tell people, especially DH family that I am having this specific surgery. I don't want to talk about, explain my reasons, or worst of all... have my male in laws stare at my "newly sized" chest everytime I walk in the room. I can't blame them. What I have now is pretty massive.

Can I say something like "I am having a surgery to have some cysts and tissue removed (true). it for cancer (true) and the surgery will make future mamograms much easier and more accurate to read (also true)."

Even just writing that my brain is screaming "Oh come on - just call it."

Do I just need to get over myself and just spill the beans already and let them think what they think, do what they do??

I think for me talking about it is harder than the actual surgery. I did not realize how self concous I am about how awful I feel I look (short, huge boobs, overweight but working on it). That is probably the real root of the problem.

Any advise, words of wisdom, been there done that? I would sure appreciate it.

poorpigling

poorpigling
Advanced
Texas USA
Member since 12/28/07
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 10/4/12 3:10 PM

I wouldn't tell them anything.. and hope they are not ill mannered enough to ask..
But just in case.. better have something snappy to say.. such as '' i was sick and you better hope its not tooooo contagious.''

Ackk.. had to edit. sorry.
-- Edited on 10/4/12 3:52 PM --

KathySews
star
KathySews
Advanced
Michigan USA
Member since 10/1/06
Send Message

thumbsup 8 members like this.

Date: 10/4/12 3:24 PM

I understand what you are going through. But, unless you are able to stay out of sight for a few weeks, people will notice you were in the hospital and will naturally ask what is going on out of concern. I think it is fine to say you had some cysts removed and leave it at that. Be sure DH clearly understands you do not want this discussed. As the song goes "ain't nobody's business but my own"

Good luck to you.

marec
starstarstarstar
marec  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/11/08
Send Message

thumbsup 6 members like this.

Date: 10/4/12 3:28 PM

You do not need to provide specifics. In fact, you could even say "It is nothing serious and I'd rather not talk about it". A well mannered listener should get the message without you resorting to a round about explanation.

My MIL had surgery for hemmorroids (sp?) years and years ago. She never told us and I don't blame her :-)

------
my blog: http://kf-biblioblog.blogspot.com/
The more I learn, the less I know.

sarah in nyc

sarah in nyc
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 1/8/05
Send Message

In reply to Canadian Jane <<
thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 10/4/12 3:37 PM

I'm having some girl stuff surgery done.

------
sarah in nyc
www.sewnewyork.blogspot.com

CosmicFabulosity
CosmicFabulosity
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/07
Send Message

thumbsup 7 members like this.

Date: 10/4/12 3:37 PM

I have to second the idea of making sure DH understands you don't want this discussed. But I'd certainly like to think it wouldn't need to be said.

Good luck and I hope everything goes well with the procedure and the recovery.

------
www.iamchristianmichael.com
I'm proof that men really will ask for directions :-D
Bernina 240 & 130, Pfaff 1222E & 2020, Singer 503, Janome 3434D, closet way too full of spandex and I think there is a puppy somewhere in this mess.

Mufffet
starstarstarstar
Mufffet  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Vermont USA
Member since 8/14/05
Send Message

thumbsup 8 members like this.

Date: 10/4/12 3:39 PM

I always remember Ann Landers giving this advice: "Whatever YOU chose to tell, is what you say. Then if anyone wants to question you further you say "My goodness, why would you ask such a question?"A great come back. Your health in any respect is your business.

------
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible."
--Dalai Lama

I have sewing machines

NottaWadder
star
NottaWadder
Advanced Beginner
Member since 6/17/12
Send Message

In reply to sarah in nyc <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 10/4/12 3:47 PM

Quote: sarah in nyc
I'm having some girl stuff surgery done.

This was what I said when I had the same surgery...I understand your concerns, yes been there, done that.

I think I even said something like I lost weight during my recovery...it has been a long time ago now so I do not remember the specifics but I remember being very uncomfortable about explaining it!

------
My Singer crew:
Sergei - Serger 14T968DC (set up as coverstitch)
Stella - Serger Stylist II 14J250 (set up as main overlock)
Quincy - Quantum 9960 (my main SM)
Newest addition: Stevie, my very first Featherweight! (221 Centennial)

sewfrequent

sewfrequent
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 6/27/03
online now
Send Message

Date: 10/4/12 3:47 PM

KathySews has very good advice and that's definitely all that needs to be said. it satisfies their curiousity just fine and leaves no room for further inquiries that would make you uncomfortable.

michellep74
starstarstar
michellep74  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Washington USA
Member since 7/19/07
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 10/4/12 4:24 PM

I'm planning to have this done in a couple of years when I'm done having kids/nursing.

I always figured that I'd tell people that I was having surgery to relieve back pain.

------
--Michelle

Blog: http://happilycaffeinated.blogspot.com/

2014 Fabric IN: 153.13 yards
2014 Fabric OUT: 88 yards
2014 Fabric Sewn: 38 yards
2014 Fabric Donated: 50 yards
pre-2014 Stash patterns used in 2014: 7

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Having a very personal surgery...

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Register

Altering Pants
Altering Pants

Register

Deer&Doe Dress Belladone

photo
by: Jstarr4250

Review
You Sew Girl Adult Hats Pattern

You Sew Girl Adult Hats Pattern

Buy Now
Sewing Workshop Tosca Dress

Sewing Workshop Tosca Dress

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.