SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Sewing Machines > Shanks confuse me ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Shanks confuse me
And thus snap on feet do to
PolishPoppy
star
PolishPoppy  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Virginia USA
Member since 4/11/09
Send Message

Date: 10/6/12 9:07 PM

For example: Does any low shank adaptor fit any low shank machine?

Or do any low shank machines take any snap on feet that fit them (and then you can interchange them)?

For example I have some Janome snap on feet left over from my Heart sewing machine, will they fit the Juki F600?

OR A Bernina is a low shank machine, but you need a special shank to fit it and then will snap on feet from say the Janome or Juki fit it? And therefore any snap on feet I purchase?

So confused... I read through a "feet" thread from a year ago, and it did not clear up my clouds.

GlButterfly

GlButterfly
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 8/28/08
Send Message

Date: 10/6/12 10:20 PM

There's more to it than just what you mentioned. Not all feet will fit. You would really need to try them (unless someone can give you info on a specific machine.) I tried feet from various machines of different eras with my adaptor and not all worked. The foot may have fit but as I slowly turned the handwheel I watched the needle and on some the needle started to bend slightly as it came to the hole in the feet. So needle clamps may be located in a slightly different position.

Some day I will need to re-do and make a list of what fits what.

------
That's Gl = for Gloria, not G. I.

Jennifer Hill
star
Jennifer Hill
Advanced
Alberta CANADA
Member since 4/11/02
Send Message

Date: 10/7/12 0:41 AM

I agree with Butterfly - some interchange and some don't. I've even had difficulties using the same ankle/foot combos on machines of the same brands (that's one of the reasons I traded my Elna Lotii for an industrial Singer treadle base - another long story.....).

I'm currently trying to find a high shank adapter and snap-on 9mm zz feet that will work on my Singer 20U artisan/industrial. The good news is that most ankles and feet are pretty cheap, so it isn't a huge investment if you have to engage in a little experimentation.

Jennifer in Calgary

PolishPoppy
star
PolishPoppy  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Virginia USA
Member since 4/11/09
Send Message

In reply to GlButterfly <<

Date: 10/7/12 8:54 AM

Thank you Butterfly - I was sort-of hoping I could swap feet out between machines, and didn't understand the ankle buisiness. I will order some cheaper once off ebay as the next poster suggested and see what I can come up with, now that I know it is not a simple answer.

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

Date: 10/7/12 10:55 AM

Just like selecting a pair of shoes...you gotta try them on!

------
"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

RipStitcher
star
RipStitcher
Advanced
Member since 5/28/12
Send Message

Date: 10/7/12 12:53 PM

Not all snap on feet are created equal... even if they *appear* to fit.

I just tried a snap on Brother foot that is the right rod size for the ankle of my Janome to fit. In other words, the foot snapped on just fine, it's 7mm wide... everything looks like it should work....

UNTIL... Using the hand wheel, I slowly put the needle down. The needle *did* go down through the hole in the foot -- BUT -- it was too close to the rear of the hole to be a good idea.

If I had used that foot, and if the foot went over a bump (causing the foot to go *toes up*)... the needle would have been likely to hit the back of the foot near the ankle rod.

Slamming into a foot with the needle isn't a good idea.

It's soooo not worth jacking up a machine over.

------
My pattern video is on www.BionicGearBag.com
The drama is on: www.RipStitcher.com

Wish list:
Sashiko
Ovation serger
Bernina 880 - Just cuz.
Bernina Tula Pink 350SE

Love my:
Babylock Ellisimo Gold
Bernina 550qe
ElnaPress

GlButterfly

GlButterfly
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 8/28/08
Send Message

In reply to PolishPoppy <<

Date: 10/7/12 1:31 PM

If I am incorrect in any of the following, please someone feel free to correct me.

The way I understand it is the purpose of an adaptor is so a high-shank machine (Berninas and super high shank Kenmores come to mind) can be fitted with the much more common low shank feet. As far as I know, there is no high shank adaptor.

Many notions catalogs will sell Bernina and Kenmore adaptors, so they would be made specifically for that brand. For the Bernina you would get either old style or new style adaptor, then decide if you want one for snap-on or screw-on feet. After that it would be a matter of testing feet that you have as posters have suggested.

You can check with a dealer for your brand of machine and get some info, then you will have a better idea of which to buy.

------

RipStitcher
star
RipStitcher
Advanced
Member since 5/28/12
Send Message

Date: 10/7/12 2:29 PM

I think you're pretty much correct.

What little I know:

The rod the ankle fits onto is smaller on Brother/Janome than Viking/Pfaff. *If* there is an adapter/ankle for a specific machine, you have to make sure it fits the rod on the foot.

And even then... watch carefully where the needle goes down through the foot to make sure that it's not too close to the backside of the opening.

And of course... the foot should ride directly above the feed dogs.

------
My pattern video is on www.BionicGearBag.com
The drama is on: www.RipStitcher.com

Wish list:
Sashiko
Ovation serger
Bernina 880 - Just cuz.
Bernina Tula Pink 350SE

Love my:
Babylock Ellisimo Gold
Bernina 550qe
ElnaPress

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
California USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

In reply to GlButterfly <<

Date: 10/7/12 3:49 PM

There are high shank adapters if you just mean a little piece of metal, or plastic that bolts on to a low shank foot to make the place it fastens onto a machine taller so you could use it in a high shank machine. But even though it would do that and get a low shank foot tall enough to fit a high shank machine, it does not mean in particular, that it would make the needle drop and open area in a presser foot line up with the hole in machines stitch plate always at all. Or your needle might not slam into it. You would still just need to put it on there, then carefully turn the fly wheel by hand and see what happened instead.

But if it was a high shank foot and you wanted to use it on a low shank machine (not counting all the other things that would have to line up right) no adapters for that kind of thing, just because foot is already too tall to even begin with and you would actually have to cut part of the foot off to make it shorter instead. Which I don't think anyone ever bothers to do at all.

GlButterfly

GlButterfly
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 8/28/08
Send Message

In reply to beauturbo <<

Date: 10/7/12 7:16 PM

Thank you for the info.

------

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Shanks confuse me

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger
Serging Ahead with your 5 Thread Serger

Class Details

Online Class
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro
10 Clever Techniques To Help You Sew Like a Pro

Class Details

BurdaStyle Magazine 02-2005-112

photo
by: yummymummy...

Review
Islander Sewing Systems Jacket Express Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Jacket Express Pattern

More Info
You Sew Girl Mod Bag Pattern

You Sew Girl Mod Bag Pattern

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.