SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Patterns and Notions > Sewing with Lekala patterns ( Moderated by Sharon1952)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Sewing with Lekala patterns
LauraTS
star
LauraTS  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
CA USA
Member since 7/10/06
Send Message

Date: 10/7/12 2:59 PM

I was doing my Sunday idle browsing and stopped by the Lekala patterns site. They've added a lot of cute patterns recently. Some of the jackets and dresses are probably beyond my current skill, but I could handle a knit top maybe

I know the previous topic got closed down due to what was considered 'advertising' by the Lekala guy, so I thought I'd start a new 'kosher' thread. Has anyone sewn anything from their patterns recently? I still have several printouts from when they had a lot of their patterns free for download, but the only one I've made up so far was sized too small. I am wondering whether it would be worth it to try one of the custom-sized downloads and try it out. I'll admit, the idea of a pattern custom-drafted to my measurements sounds pretty appealing.

------
I've moved! Visit my new sewing blog at http://chiralcraft.wordpress.com

Do you sew from KnipMode? Join us at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/knipmode_english/

JEF
starstarstar
JEF  Friend of PR
Intermediate
VA USA
Member since 7/27/05
Board Moderator
Send Message

In reply to LauraTS <<

Date: 10/7/12 3:51 PM

You're right, they do have several really nice looking new patterns. I haven't made anything real recently but I have used the custom sized Lekala for both me and my daughter. I found the sizing pretty good - a little snug on mine but not horribly so. The price is so good for custom sizing, there's really no reason not to try it.

JEF

------
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." --Abraham Lincoln

sew2006
star
sew2006
Advanced
ON CANADA
Member since 6/24/06
Send Message

In reply to LauraTS <<

Date: 10/7/12 4:21 PM

For printed instructions try m-sewing.com the style numbers were the same last I looked. I did quick version of a knit top and compared to my pattern that fits well I added some lenght. It was a sleevelss drappy front top. Glad I saved them when they were free.

------
Janome10001, Babylock ESG3, Brother ULT 2001, White 634D serger, Pfaff 1472, Singer featherweight, Singer 14T957Dc, Bernina FunLock 009DCC coverlock, Brother PQ1500S, Janome CP900.

AussieSewer
AussieSewer
Advanced
AUSTRALIA
Member since 4/5/04
Send Message

In reply to LauraTS <<

Date: 10/7/12 9:39 PM

Hi Laura

I muslined (if that is a word..) my first custom sized Lekala pattern on the weekend, it was the new Peplum Top and I was really impressed with the fit, it was a little snug but I used a fabric with no stretch at all as I wanted to use faux leather for the final product. I also needed to add some length to the bodice at the shoulder line, but minor alterations like this are not a problem. The printing and taping was not an issue and for the cost and speed of receiving the pattern, I will definitely be using them again.

Angela

squirrellypoo
starstarstarstar
squirrellypoo
Advanced
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since 3/27/05
Send Message

Date: 10/8/12 12:10 PM

You can test the custom-sizing on a selected few patterns for free, you know... ;)

Hereare the free custom women's patterns, I've made 8004 for myself, too.

------
www.fehrtrade.com

ekFitz
star
ekFitz
Advanced
OR USA
Member since 8/22/09
Send Message

Date: 10/11/12 11:48 PM

I really like the custom fit patterns, especially using the super detailed custom input. My TNT pencil skirt is Lekala (it might even be the free one) and I'm planning on a suit jacket next.

------
My sewing blog - www.gravamenofthestitch.com

lauraborealis
lauraborealis  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
CO USA
Member since 11/5/04
online now
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 10/12/12 1:34 PM

I recently bought 4136. After a string of wadders, I was considering giving up sewing altogether. But this project was such a success, my spirit was renewed. I've since had a few more disasters, so I may need another Lekala palate cleanser. The fit was fantastic. I typically do forward and square shoulder alterations, as well as swayback, for tops. I squared the shoulders, just in case, and added 5/8 seam allowances to have some extra to play with. I ended up sewing all at 5/8" except right over the tailfeathers (there's a back seam) I tapered out to 1/4." I think it could have gotten away with the 5/8" there, too, but it's fine the way it is.

lauraborealis
lauraborealis  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
CO USA
Member since 11/5/04
online now
Send Message

Date: 10/12/12 1:40 PM

Forgot to mention, the instructions are pretty marginal... there's a lot of "zautyuzhit allowances to the left and sweep off"... but somehow, when I was actually using them, it made perfect sense to me. It just requires a willing suspension of disbelief!

Vivienne
star
Vivienne
Intermediate
BC CANADA
Member since 6/29/04
Send Message

Date: 10/12/12 2:24 PM

I just bought my first one using the tutorial on Fehrtrade. (thanks for the help!)

I've since noticed you can buy Lekaka on Etsy. Here:

Lekala on Etsy

That's the skirt I bought.

------
Cheap fabrics, like cheap shoes, are a false economy.

Tbird

Tbird
Expert/Couture
CA USA
Member since 8/8/05
Send Message

Date: 11/7/12 2:37 PM

Has anyone had a problem with the patterns arriving lately? I've bought several patterns from the leko-mail site and normally no problem but the ones I ordered yesterday have yet to arrive. I ordered and got the free one but not the ones I paid for.

*scratching head*

------
http://sewunnecessary.blogspot.com

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Patterns and Notions >> Sewing with Lekala patterns

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fit the Tee to a T
Fit the Tee to a T

Register

Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets
Expert Sewing Techniques for Jackets

Register

BurdaStyle Magazine 08-2012-113

photo
by: Sue Anfang

Review
Serendipity Studio Jacket

photo
by: DeJa Chic

Review
Sewing Workshop Mimosa Top & Pants Pattern

Sewing Workshop Mimosa Top & Pants Pattern

Buy Now
Victoria Jones Collection Child's Hawaiian Muumuu Dress or Nightgown

Victoria Jones Collection Child's Hawaiian Muumuu Dress or Nightgown

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.