SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Miscellaneous > New washing machine..decisions, decisions ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
New washing machine..decisions, decisions
Seeking advice on new washing machines
micheleb
micheleb
Beginner
Minnesota USA
Member since 4/3/07
Send Message

Date: 10/7/12 6:42 PM

My twenty yo maytag finally gave out so I need to buy a new washing machine and am looking for input from others as to what features you like and find genuinely useful. Most of my loads are pretty small (no kids) but I do sometimes need to do blankets, comforters, area rugs etc. I also like to wash wool and other fine knits on a gentle cycle then air dry.

Also any input re front loader vs high efficiency top loader....

Thanks,

Michele

ZugZug
ZugZug
Beginner
Texas USA
Member since 1/4/12
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 10/7/12 7:18 PM

We bought a set of the front loading HE washer/dryer sets about two years ago when we bought our home. While I do like them, they are quite large and when on the pedestals the top of the set is almost even with my chin, and I am 6' tall. They are also quite deep, and that makes utilizing the shelf above them impossible. So definately consider where you will be placing them and deminsions when shopping. Also if you are in a laundry room, and you are going from top loading to front loading, think about door swing...our laundry room is obviously designed for top loading, the door into the room and the door to the washer conflict. Also since our dryer door is hinged on the vertical, it bangs into an angled wall, whereas a horizontal hinged dryer door would not. My dryer has steam which is sometimes nice for tossing in something that is wrinkled and I dont have time to iron (I HATE ironing). I have several settings, however we seldom use them all. I generally forget and close the front door to the washer and since they seal so tightly (which you want to keep the water in while washing!) I typically end up having to run a cleaning cycle through the washer every month to avoid the mildew smell that devlops from the trapped moisture of the door being closed.

We actually ended up purchasing our set because it is red. My husband saw them and that was the end of shopping, they could have required the use of a board and tub to clean clothes and he would not have cared, simply because they are red.

My MIL purchased a new washer shortly after we did ours. She has the top loading style but there is no center spoke/agitator. She has the same washing capacity as I do and I can say I like hers better. I keep hoping someone will ask for the washer and dryer when we sell our home so I can leave them and use my past buying experiences to purchase a better fitted set next time. Of course I'll have to take DH shopping with me but a blindfold should take care of any issues that presents.

HarrietHomeowner

HarrietHomeowner  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 1/13/10
Send Message

Date: 10/7/12 7:42 PM

I wanted something basic and simple that was well made. I ended up getting a top loader Speed Queen. I have no idea how energy efficient it is, but it does have lots of choices of load size, so you can do a very small load, and it's fast and quiet. The company says these have the same technology as their commercial washers. No electronic doodads to break or special stuff you have to do to maintain it. Cost about $800 including tax and delivery (we bought from a local dealer).

When I was buying it, I asked the guy at the store if it was worthwhile getting the more expensive model with more settings, and he said it wasn't.

micheleb
micheleb
Beginner
Minnesota USA
Member since 4/3/07
Send Message

In reply to ZugZug <<

Date: 10/7/12 7:42 PM

It's interesting to hear that you prefer the MIL's HE top loader. Do you think the top loaders and front loader get the laundry equally clean? I'm a little shorter than you (5'8") but still tall enough to wonder if I"m really going to be ok with bending over or doing deep knee bends to extract wet laundry from the back of the washer and moving it to the dryer. On the other hand, I've heard the new top loaders sometimes twist laundry together so you have to take time to straighten it out before drying--which seems like a problem to me.

Do you or your MIL have the steam feature on the washer? If so, does this really work to help break up stains? I've also heard steam is supposed to sanitize and kill dust mites--but I'm a little skeptical about this as I thought that was the whole point of washing and drying anyway. Maybe I am wrong though--so much has happened since I last looked at washers and dryers.

Thanks for your thoughts :)

purplebouquet
star
purplebouquet
Advanced
Arkansas USA
Member since 11/16/05
Send Message

Date: 10/7/12 7:49 PM

I have a front loader machine (Whirlpool Duet) and discovered that they prefer large loads for the normal and whites only and similar cycles. If I use those cylces for small loads, the machine has balance issues. The repair man I asked about that confirmed that. Go figure.

I suggest that if you do mainly small loads, consider an apartment-size front loader. Take your occasional washings of rugs, blankets, etc. to a laundrymate. That would be a very economical solution.

Also do a topic search on this forum. There are a couple of threads about this question.

Claudia
-- Edited on 10/9/12 1:17 PM --

NottaWadder
star
NottaWadder
Advanced Beginner
Member since 6/17/12
Send Message

Date: 10/7/12 8:16 PM

We've had our Samsung (in blue) front loader set for a little over a year now. LOVE THEM! I was worried when I read about the clothes not getting clean with a front loader. This has not been a problem at all. It has every setting I could ever need... a bedding setting for heavy towels or comforters. Sanitize setting on both washer and dryer. Wool/handwash settings. A Pure Cycle to clean the washer.... but I rarely need it because I do leave my washer open. The dryer also has all sorts of automatic or timed settings from heavy to delicate and in between.

Ours is in the basement with lots of head room so we go the pedastals to go with. LOVE THEM.

We got a great deal on them at Best Buy plus we got 24 month free financing (we ended up getting a price match from the same but cheaper set at Lowes, which is how we ended up with a blue set instead of the original white ones we picked...for some reason that week the blue ones were cheaper than white)

We did end up getting the extended (4 year I think?) warranty because we had heard of occasional problems...so far that has not been even a hint of trouble (knock wood!)

I can see a difference in both the water and gas bill since we have switched... not necessarily massive amounts but enough to notice and it all helps.

------
My Singer crew:
Sergei - Serger 14T968DC (set up as coverstitch)
Stella - Serger Stylist II 14J250 (set up as main overlock)
Quincy - Quantum 9960 (my main SM)
Newest addition: Stevie, my very first Featherweight! (221 Centennial)

micheleb
micheleb
Beginner
Minnesota USA
Member since 4/3/07
Send Message

In reply to purplebouquet <<

Date: 10/7/12 10:45 PM

Excellent idea..searching the forums....lots of good info. Thanks!

tourist
star
tourist  Friend of PR
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 7/23/07
Send Message

Date: 10/7/12 11:05 PM

We have Samsung front loaders. DH (6'2")wishes we had bought the pedestals because he hates to bend over to get the wash over to the dryer, while I like being able to reach the top of the machine (5' 2"). OTOH, there are days when my knees don't like to get down that far either.

They do get clothes really clean, but I find I have to use extra wash time and extra rinse and tell my machine it is "towels" to get enough water to get them that way. The spin is the amazing part. They get so dry, the dryer time is ridiculously quick.

They are a LOT quieter than my 20+ year old top loader washer and dryer.. Hope they last as long, and they should, since we no longer have teenagers and/or a smelly triathlete to wash for. We do still produce sweaty clothes, but ballroom clothes typically don't include as much dirt and mud as mountain bikers. Not so far, anyway.

------
http://bgballroom.wordpress.com to follow the progress on my next ballgown.

ZugZug
ZugZug
Beginner
Texas USA
Member since 1/4/12
Send Message

In reply to micheleb <<

Date: 10/8/12 0:26 AM

OH my laundry is just as clean between the two washers. The pedestals do bring the washer and dryer up high enough that bending isnt a big deal (at least not yet). I actually end up with more "twisties" in my laundry than my MIL does but just pop them out as I transfer to the dryer. She does several small loads, all of ours are fairly large loads which is what is recommended in my manual (yes I actually read it....ok part of it). Yes I have the steam setting on the washer too. As far as how well it works, I honestly have not used it.

I would recommend doing as a previous poster stated and focus on a set that either has adjustable settings for smaller loads (if that is what you primarily do) or focus on an overall smaller capacity and just use the local laundromat for the comforters, unless you have dogs like we do, and have to wash them weekly (my main reason for large capacity).

diane s
star
diane s  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Oregon USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 10/8/12 1:48 AM

I want to be able to manually control the water level and water temp. As far as I can tell that leaves a front loader out.

------
My grandmother taught me to sew when I was 10, and I've been sewing ever since.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> New washing machine..decisions, decisions

Merchants on PR

Budo Bear Designs

Asian Designs
Web site

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Gwyn Hug

Fabric Shopping Help!
Deals!

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Create a Jacket Muslin
Create a Jacket Muslin

Register

Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Register

Butterick 8044

photo
by: The Dreams...

Review
Victoria Jones Collection Busy Diva Apron and Star Potholder

Victoria Jones Collection Busy Diva Apron and Star Potholder

Buy Now
Sewn Square One Small Change Pattern

Sewn Square One Small Change Pattern

Buy Now
BurdaStyle Magazine 11-2012-136

photo
by: French.Sea...

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.