SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Machine Embroidery > How are you about colors ( Moderated by Pyrose)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
How are you about colors
quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

Date: 10/17/12 10:02 AM

I used to be very strict about colors. I use mostly EL designs and their sheets are set up for Maderia. So I got the Treasure chest with a Christmas bonus one year and did find it's very good embroidery thread. That being said when I did a design I would strictly follow the color chart. Buying any ones I didn't have. Allstitch has good prices on Maderia and right in my backyard. Now I look back at all that time I wasted. I'm working on a wall hanging for a friend and just matching colors up by sight. Which I've found I'm not bad at. I will still try and use the color that is needed if it a very shaded type of design.And maybe one day will arrange chest by number not color. So for now done with following number, charts, conversation thread charts and just getting down to embroider.

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

LouisaP
LouisaP
Intermediate
Minnesota USA
Member since 2/27/07
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Date: 10/17/12 10:52 AM

I confess to ignoring all color charts/conversions entirely.

I know, I'm a rogue embroiderer. But for me, it works.

I look closely at the photograph of the stitch out the designer provides and charge off from there.

I have my threads (a mix of Madeira, Metro Embroidery and Threadart, about 400 spools now) sorted in a six-bin IKEA children's toy chest, ROYGBIV like the colors of the rainbow. The oranges/yellows go together, as do the blue/indigo, which leaves a bin for the black/white/grey crew.

It works for me -- I don't have the patience to order special threads to exactly match the shade envisioned by the designers, I just want to jump in and get down to business!

mssewcrazy
star
mssewcrazy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Mississippi USA
Member since 3/4/03
Send Message

Date: 10/17/12 1:09 PM

I have been doing that from day 1 and have a lot of thread( won't fess up here to what a "lot" means). Last week I was stitching out the designs from the Dora the Explorer Nick card and only had the names and color numbers no little swatches and they were disagreeing sometimes with the brother machine name. I was looking at the little pictures and started googling each color name and number. Funny thing is I didn't realize until I started looking them up by googling each one as needed (you can't look at these in software only on the card in the machine) and I was floored at how off I was with some of the common color names I had thought for years were a certain shade. This made stitching these things out take forever. I was afraid if I didn't the characters wouldn't be color correct as I wasn't all that familiar with a bunch of them and my 2 year old grand KNOWS. Lol! I found several kit knock offs from polystar thread that have the same color number and name as brother and decided I was wrong enough times to justify purchase for the cartoon and brother cards I have. Even though computer monitors can be off they are better than I was-so on those I don't have a clue from the color name it would have been a big help if I had thought of googling the color name and number sooner. The color thing in general is a pain- not too bad if not a bunch of colors but the 25 color Dora and Boots design with no color chips on the insert sheet and the machine saying some other color than the guide sheet was requesting made me a little crazy. I thought I was really good with colors and when I started looking them up I was shocked I was getting so off on some of the shades. After being at this hobby for a long while it was a reality check for me. At any rate I plan to check colors a lot more closely on designs with a lot of colors after finding out I am not the color wheel I thought I was and not take so much for granted especially the first time I stitch something.

mssewcrazy
star
mssewcrazy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Mississippi USA
Member since 3/4/03
Send Message

Date: 10/17/12 1:14 PM

Oh I meant to mention on the site where I bought the polystar there are pdf charts with the names and numbers corresponding to brother that might be helpful. I don't know if I can mention the site name on here. I didn't find these until I had suffered through several designs. I think a google of the thread brand polystar would bring it up but if the mod says ok I will name the site if anyone is interested.

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 10/18/12 0:58 AM

Oh, I'm a rogue embroiderer too. I once thought I had to buy Brother thread because I had a Brother machine, but then realized I liked cotton thread better, so I bought a bunch of that. Then I would cross reference the Brother thread with the cotton thread I purchased (Gutermann and Theadart) Now I'm back to rayon, but not using a specific color chart. In fact, the suggested colors for my machine's patterns are weird--really weird, so I make up my own.

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

Date: 10/18/12 8:36 AM

Well I'm going rogue also. Tired of the time it takes to get the numbers correct. At least on most design some have to be more careful as the shading is affected.

------

SouthernStitch
starstarstar
SouthernStitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 10/18/12 8:55 AM

I was rogue from the beginning, only having the 48 polyester spool Madeira pack.
Then I bought the Rayon treasure chest from NN, on a fabulous sale, free shipping, and also my ASG discount. Now, unless it's a baby thing, I use that most of the time. But if I find another color I love from another brand I buy it - so I'm all over the place!
I am bad in that I have no problem combining rayon and poly either!
But, I do believe in having sets - it helps.

------
Bernina 780, and 530
Juki TL2010
Babylock Evolution
Singer 403a

When life gives you green velvet curtains, make a green velvet dress.

mssewcrazy
star
mssewcrazy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Mississippi USA
Member since 3/4/03
Send Message

In reply to quiltingwolf <<

Date: 10/18/12 9:38 AM

Quiltingwolf is the treasure chest madeira colors? For some reason I am thinking that is rayon thread and has the really teeny spools. Do the spools have numbers or names and numbers? I have somehow missed out on maderia except for a few spools.
I don't want anyone to think I am a chart fanatic. I have always been the rogue color wise and bought great kits of several brands at a few super sales. My problem recently has been I needed to be exact for what I was doing and was struggling with the color names. I also have not yet used the polystar I bought so until I do I don't want anyone to think I am recommending it. It seemed when I was inspecting it to pool a lot more than the arc, marathon,etc that I have lots of but the shine and colors are pretty. So until I have stitched with it I am only suggesting the color charts on that site might help someone else pull colors as it did me when I was having fits. For rogue embroiderers as some of us are these pdf charts might be sufficient when we have a question about a color name. After my experience with the Dora characters and discovering some things about my color ideas I have become a lot more interested in color systems though I will never be one that won't substitute with my own brand or choice. I do plan to double check some of my ideas for what some of the numbers or names mean since I wasn't nearly as good with color selection as I thought I was. Lol! The whole color thing is in general a time drain and if I were too intent it'd turn me against the fun side of the hobby.

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

In reply to mssewcrazy <<

Date: 10/18/12 10:43 AM

The original treasure chest is rayon colors on the smaller spools but still a lot of thread. I believe it was 194 spools also some varigated and metallic. I got a great deal on it brought it like 4 years ago. It's by color so the numbers are all mixed up. I may re-arrange by number then they would be a lot easier to find. I did make a spreadsheet of them but I keep losing it. But a lot of colors had been added since that was first put together. After the original I saw a poly one and a quilting one I really wanted but too $$. I got a deal on the chest to begin with and used a Christmas bonus to pay for it. I got my from Joann's online. The wooden chest alone is great. It's definitely been worth the money. I also have aj nice selection of Sulky, starting collecting that cos of the Joann's half prices sales on thread so have a nice collection of that also. And I got a set from Thread art which is a lot of thread. I've used very little of that. As no one converts numbers to it. But going by sight I can use that and the Sulky. I've been finding as time passes for the El design's I don't have the exact thread and with all the thread I do have can't justify buying more. As I forgot to mention also have a nice selection of Maderia bigger spools I brought when I didn't have exact colors. Glad I stocked up on some of this stuff as would have no funds for it now.
-- Edited on 10/18/12 10:45 AM --

------

mssewcrazy
star
mssewcrazy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Mississippi USA
Member since 3/4/03
Send Message

In reply to quiltingwolf <<

Date: 10/18/12 9:33 PM

Great that you have stockpiled lots of thread to use on your projects. I think there is so much overlap in the colors . Often if I knew what a color was I already have something really close just not in the same brand so I mix brands a lot. One daughter that passed a JoAnn's going to work daily got lots of her threads stopping in at sales and using coupons on stuff also. I would occasionally get her to get things for me using the coupons. I keep hoping vet daughter will want to embroider and I can make her a really great starter thread kit but so far not interested. I always like having a good stash of things I use to sew. We live in such an uncertain world now we never know what life will bring. It's really great when funds are short to be able to make something from stash or make a nice gift out of nothing with some machine embroidery thread and a dollar store item or even items to sell. It is a great feeling to have the sewing/thread hoard to fall back on for what you need or want to do. I made my daughter a home coming suit from some black and white glen plaid one year that I found at the green dumpster when our county used those. She got so many compliments and I never told where that fabric originated. I think those of us that thread the needle are really good at what we can make from what we have available.
I didn't know there were quilting editions of those chests-probably a good thing. I only dabble a bit with machine quilting -did a couple by hand the old way in a big frame in the past. Until my machine quilting gets up to snuff I can probably get what I need at wally world. Lol! I'm definitely not ordering another thread kit of any kind. My friend bought a thread kit and gave away half of it -said she didn't need 20 blues or purples,etc. to embroider like I do. I thought I was going to pass out when she told me what she had done. I think she only kept about 3 or 4 shades of the various colors. She is kind of a newbie and was like I was in the beginning with the 12 colors I bought at wally world. I just stitched away willy nilly and had a great time doing it with my one yellow and Christmas green. Lol!

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Machine Embroidery >> How are you about colors

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts
Fun with Fitting - BODICE w Darts

Register

Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Register

Vogue Patterns 1170

photo
by: mangoflavo...

Review
BurdaStyle Magazine 07-2010-104

photo
by: Merche

Review
Petite Plus 501 Pattern

Petite Plus 501 Pattern

Buy Now
You Sew Girl Adult Hats Pattern

You Sew Girl Adult Hats Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.