SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Bridal and Formalwear Sewing > So I have the pattern for my wedding dress.... now what? ( Moderated by MissCelie)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
So I have the pattern for my wedding dress.... now what?
Or, the fabric hunt by someone who has often chosen the wrong fabric!
SquishSews
star
SquishSews  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 1/18/09
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 10/18/12 9:38 PM

I think I will keep this thread going as the updating thread for my wedding dress sewing adventure (never have I made anything remotely like a wedding dress).

In the meantime, I have the final pattern selection, ordered in multiple sizes (I do intend to be closer to my old self by the time the wedding comes along - 9/21/13) so I can practice sooner rather than later, and coincidentally the package containing the patterns was the first piece of mail I received in my new apartment! It is Vogue 2903, View A. I see in the reviews that there is some dissent about the neckline installation so I already know that will be a challenge.

My first question.... I got some lovely fabric suggestions from LynnRowe on here, but now I am considering I should have been more specific about the type of fabric.... what will be best for this pattern? The envelope back lists "Cotton broadcloth, shantung, faille, and pique." Not really sure I want satin, but cotton broadcloth seems overly casual even for our "Singin' In the Rain" motif.... (I know the movie is set in the 20s but we're attempting to blend it with the 50s it was filmed in, and the music is great for it!).

I have 8 yards of (I assume poly) taffeta that I lucked out with on the $2.97 table at G St.... I picked it up thinking it could make a nice swing dance dress... and certainly my wedding dress will be used swing dancing.... what are the more experienced sewer's opinions on this? Is taffeta a good fabric choice? Is it hellacious to work with? Would I be better using something else?

Also, I originally thought of doing a lace overlay on the dress.... venise lace, or a chantilly? I am on the fence about that, but I'm sure choosing one or the other, or none, would affect the gown fabric choice?

Ok... 'nuff rambling. Please advise!

-- Edited on 10/18/12 9:40 PM --

dragonzflame
dragonzflame
Intermediate
NEW ZEALAND
Member since 6/9/11
Send Message

Date: 10/18/12 11:29 PM

Hi Amy! Have you seen the site that 'our' dress originally came from? http://www.bluevelvetvintage.com/50s-60s-harvey-berin-dress-ivory-chantilly-lace.html

The original is silk taffeta under a chantilly lace overlay. I don't have access to fabric shops that sell high-end fabric like that (you're lucky if you find silk dupioni), but poly taffeta etc. is easy to get. I've looked at it but I'm worried about it being too rustly, and it just seems a bit 80s prom dress to me. I'm seriously considering cotton shantung - I found some on special a few months ago but I didn't buy it, and now (of course) think that might be the way to go. I'm happy to cheap out a bit on the shell fabric (especially because fabric, especially silk, is EXPENSIVE in NZ!) and spend a little extra on the lace, since that's the bit you'll really see.

SquishSews
star
SquishSews  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 1/18/09
Send Message

In reply to dragonzflame <<

Date: 10/19/12 1:23 PM

Dragonzflame - I'd forgotten the link had a description in it about the fabric. I definitely am very particular about the fabric.... I'll have to see how this poly taffeta rustles - maybe it won't be too loud. Having graduated high school in the 80s... I can relate, but today's taffeta feels nicer than what I remember having back then, so I anticipate that being ok for me... but especially with lace over.... have to be careful as I don't want to channel Madonna!

Is shantung a similar crispness? I had no idea it came in cotton too; I thought it was specifically a silk fabric.

Marcia R
Marcia R  Friend of PR
Expert/Couture
Member since 4/16/09
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 10/19/12 1:58 PM

I happen to have 17 plus yards of silk broadcloth that I want to sell for $200. The color is called pear, and is the color of the inside of the fruit. It is a Christopher Lowell fabric, very nice quality and has been stored on a roll in plastic. It is in perfect condition

Fruzzle

Fruzzle
Intermediate
Member since 1/26/07
Send Message

In reply to SquishSews <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 10/19/12 10:20 PM

Quote: SquishSews
I have 8 yards of (I assume poly) taffeta that I lucked out with on the $2.97 table at G St.

That's your muslin.Make a wearable muslin out of the poly taffeta to check the fit and construction technique.

The fabric choices for this dress seem pretty broad to me--you want something that has a wee bit of body and stiffness, not a drapy kind of fabric--but apart from that, the fabric choice depends on the style and formality you want for the dress. You could definitely do a white/ivory/pastel shantung or dupioni, or you could do something with a lace overlay. Or a lot of other choices!
bluefly
star
bluefly  Friend of PR
GA USA
Member since 8/19/06
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 10/23/12 8:12 AM

You could add lace for just the outside panels or just the inner panel, or just the sleeves. Different options than overall lace overlay. Whatever you choose, I know it will be lovely.

------
"Let's make the most of this day"
bluefly

SquishSews
star
SquishSews  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 1/18/09
Send Message

In reply to Marcia R <<

Date: 10/29/12 7:06 PM

Marcia - that really sounds lovely, but my dress is going to be in the aqua/teal/emerald family, not the Victorian white tradition.... if it were I'd ask for a swatch though!

SquishSews
star
SquishSews  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 1/18/09
Send Message

In reply to Fruzzle <<

Date: 10/29/12 7:07 PM

My plan is a lace overlay, but I've never made anything so complicated so I'm feeling very intimidated and that perhaps I've jumped in too deep! And now I'm already down to less than 11 months, LOL....

SquishSews
star
SquishSews  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 1/18/09
Send Message

In reply to bluefly <<

Date: 10/29/12 7:08 PM

Hmmm, interesting options, thank you.... will definitely consider them as I get further along.

PattyE
starstarstar
PattyE  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/7/10
Send Message

Date: 10/31/12 7:04 PM

I would definately consider a silk shantung, silk faille, or silk dupioni...all luscious. Personally I would avoid too much poly as it will not breathe. Can't wait to see your dress.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Bridal and Formalwear Sewing >> So I have the pattern for my wedding dress.... now what?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Altering Pants
Altering Pants

Register

Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Register

Butterick 5474

photo
by: ukmuminusa

Review
Sew Chic Phantom Jacket and Pant Pattern (ln1106)

Sew Chic Phantom Jacket and Pant Pattern (ln1106)

Buy Now
Islander Sewing Systems Moebius Scarf Pattern

Islander Sewing Systems Moebius Scarf Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.