SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Beginner's Forum > What to do with a 53 yr bolt of 60" wide flannel / velour fabric ? ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
What to do with a 53 yr bolt of 60" wide flannel / velour fabric ?
Freecycle find
HOWsMom
HOWsMom
Intermediate
Member since 8/27/12
Send Message

Date: 10/20/12 10:59 AM

A posting on freecycle for fabric came through with a gentleman handing over a still factory-wrapped bolt of 60" black/grey striped flannel / velour fabric !

It's got 53.59 yd of fabric on it !!!

What am I going to do with it ?

Michelle T

Michelle T
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to HOWsMom <<

Date: 10/20/12 11:03 AM

What is a flannel velour? I am trying to figure that part out. Are some of the stripes velour (have a raised nap?) and some flannel?

I would cut off a meter or so, measure it carefully, them wash it. See if it survives the washing.

I would be concerned about the fabric fold, it may not survive the washing.

------
Proud parent of a Dwight International School Honour Roll Student

threaddy
star
threaddy  Friend of PR
Advanced
Wyoming USA
Member since 4/22/09
Send Message

In reply to HOWsMom <<

Date: 10/20/12 11:08 AM

Do what I am doing with a lot of old "stash" ...practice FMQ and make dog beds for the shelter with it. The darling creatures will not know that my stippling looks like a drunk careening out of a bar. I am assuming it IS washable and comfy?

------
"The problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem." Theodore Rubin
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life's about creating yourself." George Bernard Shaw
Dan 9:24-27

Bernina vintage and computerized, Bernina and BL sergers , BLcoverstitch (a stray Pfaff and Viking followed me home too)

HOWsMom
HOWsMom
Intermediate
Member since 8/27/12
Send Message

Subject: What to do with a 53 yr bolt of 60 wide flannel / velour fabric ? Date: 10/20/12 11:09 AM

The fabric feels like flannel to me, but the tag on it says velour. It's got a bit of stretch in one direction, but not the other. Nothing is raised on the right or wrong sides - it's smooth.

There is no fold - it's on a long tube, like wrapping paper would be. No creases or folds at all.

HOWsMom
HOWsMom
Intermediate
Member since 8/27/12
Send Message

Date: 10/20/12 11:15 AM

kittykate
star
kittykate
Intermediate
Ontario CANADA
Member since 12/18/02
Send Message

Date: 10/20/12 11:38 AM

Wash a sample like posted above, several times and see what it looks like.

I made sofa slipcovers from a bolt of knit.

I could see a line of '80 inspired tube skirts out of that though, sell them on Etsy.

AtiyaAfi
AtiyaAfi
New York USA
Member since 5/23/10
Send Message

Subject: What to do with a 53 yr bolt of 60 wide flannel / velour fabric ? Date: 10/20/12 1:36 PM

There's plenty you can do like crafty items, make a coat warmer, make oven or glove mitts, pot holders, coasters, etc. If the material is that old, and it seems that it's most likely good quality (I don't think you would have taken the fabric otherwise & which they don't make like they did 53+ years ago), it's probably strong and usable - in pretty good condition. I still have a piece of organza fabric left from when I attended FIT in the late 60's I made a garment from for a class project I can make something out of today and it would be 'on the money!' and wearable. I'm thinking about framing it, though, because now it would probably be considered vintage, maybe. Just let your brain go crazy and have fun creating!

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
Ohio USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

In reply to HOWsMom <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 10/20/12 2:52 PM

What's up with that spool of thread?

------
I dont give them Hell, I just tell the truth about them and they think its Hell. Harry Truman

"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

lgrande
star
lgrande  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 1/18/12
Send Message

In reply to PattiAnnJ <<

Date: 10/20/12 4:08 PM

Yikes! I was wondering the same thing about the thread...pretty nasty looking.
-- Edited on 10/20/12 4:08 PM --

------
Linda

Bernina 830LE - Brother Dreamweaver VQ3000 - Bernina B530 - Janome 6600P - Pfaff 1209 - Babylock Evolution - Janome 644 - Babylock Sashiko2 - Babylock BLCS-2

HOWsMom
HOWsMom
Intermediate
Member since 8/27/12
Send Message

thumbsup 3 members like this.

Subject: What to do with a 53 yr bolt of 60 wide flannel / velour fabric ? Date: 10/20/12 5:17 PM

The spool was on the thread had been on the floor under my desk.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> What to do with a 53 yr bolt of 60" wide flannel / velour fabric ?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Altering Pants
Altering Pants

Register

Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket
Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Register

No Pattern Used 0111

photo
by: AnitaJJ

Review
Vogue Patterns 8825

photo
by: MissCelie

Review
SewBaby Travel High Chair Pattern

SewBaby Travel High Chair Pattern

Buy Now
You Sew Girl Small Tote Pattern

You Sew Girl Small Tote Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.