SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Sewing Machines > Is this a 15-91? ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Is this a 15-91?
Help me identify it please

Member since 12/31/69
Send Message

Date: 10/20/12 10:36 PM

The price on this machine has been dropping and is now at $50. Serial number is AK832458, but the lady has no other information.

Is it a 15-91 and should I grab it at this price?
Sewing machine CL
-- Edited on 10/20/12 10:37 PM --

Al Johnson
star
Al Johnson
Beginner
Minnesota USA
Member since 2/17/07
Send Message

Date: 10/20/12 10:45 PM

That is a 15-91. Whether it is worth the price, only you can decide. I paid $20 for a 15-91 with no cabinet or case, head and motor only, that needed refurbishing before it would work. I might have paid too much, but it needed saving. If you like the machine and the cabinet and the stool, go for it. You will have to continue shopping for accessories and such, like feet and a buttonholer attachment, but that's fun too!

------
A sewing machine is just a welder for textiles.

sewfrequent

sewfrequent
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 6/27/03
Send Message

Date: 10/20/12 11:13 PM

It seems in great shape and cabinet is nice. I'd def pay $50 for one in that condition.

tgm and Kittys
star
tgm and  Kittys
Advanced Beginner
USA
Member since 3/8/10
Send Message

In reply to 0 <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 10/20/12 11:24 PM

I would pay that much for it, it looks to be in very nice shape. See if you can sew on it first to be sure it is in working condition. Best Wishes!

------
Home of the adorable Baby & Mittee girl >^,,^<
Mittee birthday 10/5/2009, The Baby 11/2/2000

Oh my..here we go again, no job...Sighing allot..almost 3 months & counting ...

Home to Hello Kitty Kate, Hello Kitty Valerie, Dottie Kenmore

Sharon Rose
Sharon Rose  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Indiana USA
Member since 3/10/11
Send Message

Date: 10/21/12 9:38 AM

That looks like a 15-91 to me...and $50 seems like a good price. I have seen them go for more and some for less. Obviously, a huge determination is whether it is in good working order, or if you will have to make repairs.
But another factor is the table/cabinet, itself. There is value in that, too. So if you subtract the value of the table from the price, you really are getting a fairly good buy, especially if in good working order. I would not hesitate.

lisalu
star
lisalu
Advanced Beginner
Georgia USA
Member since 10/5/08
online now
Send Message

Date: 10/21/12 10:10 AM

YES! I'd buy it with the cabinet and stool for that price!

I sold a 15-91 last week for $80 - in a cabinet but no stool, no manual, and only a partial set of accessories. I had so many responses on the ad I had to take it down. I sold it within 12 hours of listing.

So yes, if you want a 15-91, go for it.

PS... it is very unlikely that it doesn't work. Just from the fact that it is photographed in someone's home (not a barn or a junkyard) and has been kept in a cabinet and looks clean and well cared for, it almost certainly works. These machines need a lot of neglect/abuse to render them inoperable and that doesn't seem to be the case here. Any minor issues (tension adjustments, etc.) can easily be remedied if necessary.

-- Edited on 10/21/12 10:14 AM --

------
Jim (Singer 301), Margaret (Singer 201-2), Betty (Singer 15-91), Bud (Singer 503), Kathy (Singer 221), Liz (Singer 221 Centennial Edition)
http://runningstitches-mkb.blogspot.com/

Marie367
Marie367  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Ohio USA
Member since 5/28/11
Send Message

In reply to 0 <<

Date: 10/21/12 10:59 AM

That looks exactly like my mom's old Singer that I learned on-in the same cabinet too I think. If I could find one for $50 I would buy it-around here the prices are too high (200+).
It sewed great; I never remember having problems with it.

skae
star
skae  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 4/23/07
Send Message

In reply to 0 <<

Date: 10/21/12 12:10 PM

Yes it is. It looks like mine. It has that potbelly motor in the back. run get it. 50.00 what a steal!!!!!!!

------
Ecclesiastes 11:7,8 Nothing on earth is more beautiful than the morning sun. Even if you live to a ripe old age, you should try to enjoy each day, because darkness will come and will last a long time. (CEV)

lisalu
star
lisalu
Advanced Beginner
Georgia USA
Member since 10/5/08
online now
Send Message

Date: 10/21/12 12:35 PM

I'll add one more thought on this - when I see a listing like that I am DYING to get inside that stool! LOL I have found the most amazing items in those old stools...

PS @AL: that's probably where the feet, manual and accessories are....and who knows what else...
-- Edited on 10/21/12 12:37 PM --

------
Jim (Singer 301), Margaret (Singer 201-2), Betty (Singer 15-91), Bud (Singer 503), Kathy (Singer 221), Liz (Singer 221 Centennial Edition)
http://runningstitches-mkb.blogspot.com/

sewfrequent

sewfrequent
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 6/27/03
Send Message

Date: 10/21/12 1:14 PM

Lisalu, I too have found real treasures in drawers! By the time I sold the cabinet, the machine was free and when I sold the machine I made a tidy profit. Still have all the supplies including 2 pair ginghers!

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Is this a 15-91?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Class Details

Online Class
Understanding Knit Fabrics
Understanding Knit Fabrics

Class Details

Simplicity 7012 vintage

photo
by: Sunkissedj...

Review
SewBaby More Blankie Buddies pattern Pattern

SewBaby More Blankie Buddies pattern Pattern

More Info
Victory Ava Paper Pattern

Victory Ava Paper Pattern

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.