SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Fabrics and more... > Silk Jersey ( Moderated by CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Silk Jersey
Hunting for budget-friendly sources
RebeccaMarie
starstar
RebeccaMarie  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/5/12
Send Message

Date: 10/21/12 12:25 PM

I just finished a dress in silk jersey. The dress I'm not wild about, but I suppose that's my fault. Lesson learned: If you're going to use a pricey fabric, make a muslin first!

ANYWAY, the silk jersey was HEAVENLY to sew with, and i'm absolutely dying to find more -- but I'm not keen on spending more than $10 to $15 a yard. I know that's very cheap for silk jersey, but I keep seeing blog posts where people mention finding the occasional steal.

So, my question is, does anyone have a good source for affordable silk jersey? I'll be heading to the NYC garment district soon (visiting a friend in Brooklyn), so brick-and-mortar suggestions there are welcome in addition to online destinations. Print or solid is fine -- I'll take what I can get if it means I get to play with this delicious stuff again!

------
Humor, DIY escapades, pop culture, kitsch and creative miscellany from a bipolar bureaucrat with a sewing machine, a bottle of prozac, and an occasionally loose grip on reality -- http://sewciopathic.com ... plus, stuff for sale(!) at sewciopathic.etsy.com.

Restart06
star
Restart06  Friend of PR
Intermediate
USA
Member since 10/29/06
Send Message

Date: 10/21/12 12:35 PM

How fun to shop in the fabric district. I envy you. Emma One Sock a sponsor of PR has some silk jersey on sale right now. Gorgeous Fabrics also has some on sale. Those are the only vendors I know of as I have to order most of my fabric online.

------
There is no easy way! quote from my Grandfather
Sharing is caring!

blessedtosew
star
blessedtosew
Intermediate
Alabama USA
Member since 4/16/08
Send Message

In reply to RebeccaMarie <<

Date: 10/21/12 1:42 PM

I have never ordered from them but printedsilkfabrics.com has some pieces in your price range. Just go to their webpage and type "silk Jersey" into the search box.

Chemical
Chemical
Beginner
Member since 1/23/08
Send Message

Date: 10/21/12 2:59 PM

Have a great time in New York-- I bet you'll find TONS of stuff.

Denver fabrics/FFC has three kinds of silk jersey: a royal blue and a beige for $15.99 and an usual light green print for $15.00. But I'm sure you can do much much better in New York!

------
Not keeping track of my stash anymore... just trying to sew it up and not buy more!!!

ElizabethDee
star
ElizabethDee
Advanced Beginner
New York USA
Member since 12/27/06
Send Message

In reply to RebeccaMarie <<

Date: 10/21/12 3:13 PM

It's been a while since I've been to Metro Textiles, but Kashi (the owner) usually has many colors of solid silk jersey, as well as promts, and his prices are usually quite a bit lower than the online stores. I'd be surprised if they were as low as $15/yard, but the quality is very reliable.

If you do find silk jersey at $10-$15/yard, buy yourself an armload. And then please tell the rest of us where you found it!

Have fun in the garment district, and good luck!

Chemical
Chemical
Beginner
Member since 1/23/08
Send Message

In reply to ElizabethDee <<

Date: 10/21/12 3:36 PM

Metro Textiles! It's been a while since I've seen them mentioned. I've never been but I remember reading here how absolutely fantastic they are and what a great guy Kashi is. Anyone got an update on Metro Textiles and if they have any special goodies in stock?

------
Not keeping track of my stash anymore... just trying to sew it up and not buy more!!!

minggiddylooloo
star
minggiddylooloo  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Virginia USA
Member since 5/17/05
Send Message

Date: 10/22/12 9:26 AM

Don't forget about Fabricmart, they occasionally have silk jersey on their site.

------
I'm finally a blogger!
sewming.blogspot.com

clothingengineer
starstarstarstar
clothingengineer  Friend of PR
Connecticut USA
Member since 5/7/10
Send Message

Date: 10/22/12 10:48 AM

Occasionally Fashion Fabrics Club will have silk jersey in the $15/yard range.

------
-- Anne
clothingengineer.com

Vivienne
star
Vivienne
Intermediate
British Columbia CANADA
Member since 6/29/04
Send Message

Date: 10/22/12 1:58 PM

I bought some really nice solid colour silk jersey from Metro for about $15 per yard. In May, Kashi had dark grey, aqua and a raspberry-ish colour, maybe coral too.

Also check out Mood for silk jersey in the 18-25$ per yard range.

I bought some silk jersey from Printed silk fabric and it is really nice but on the light weight side.

Elliot Berman textiles sometimes has silk jersey around $15-20 per yard too.

------
Cheap fabrics, like cheap shoes, are a false economy.

mmcp
mmcp  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Maryland USA
Member since 5/31/09
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 10/22/12 3:57 PM

For those of you who do "muslin" your jersey dresses, what do you use for the practice run? I've got both silk jersey and wool jersey that I've been looking at, and not cutting, thinking that I needed to do a muslin first, but not sure what to do it in.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Fabrics and more... >> Silk Jersey

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Put it on the Bias
Put it on the Bias

Register

Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets
Beginners Guide to Sewing Jackets

Register

Ottobre Design Magazine 01-2006-21

photo
by: Sandi S

Review
Vogue Patterns 1323

photo
by: GoodbyeVal...

Review
Christine Jonson Inset Jacket

Christine Jonson Inset Jacket

Buy Now
Everyday Baskets

Everyday Baskets

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.