SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Sewing Machines > Bernina 780 vs 830 ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Bernina 780 vs 830
Decision of which would fit my needs best
kse
kse
Member since 3/31/07
Send Message

Date: 10/23/12 10:25 AM

I have had a Bernina 200/730 for about 8 years. I have put 0ver 17 million stitches on it. I am thinking of getting either the 780 or 830. I would be very interested to hear from any that have purchases either of these machines if they are happy with them? I am open to any suggestions. When I do get ready to get a newer model machine I need one that is reliable and able to handle a lot of consistent use.

SewBusy63
star
SewBusy63
Intermediate
Member since 12/10/07
Send Message

In reply to kse <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 10/23/12 11:07 AM

I have the 830 and love it!! The main issue I have had is the needle threader. My dealer replaced the plastic head twice within 6 months then he replaced the entire assembly and it's been working ever since. The 830 has a lot more features than the new 780. However, the B9 hook system looks very promising and I hear it is very quiet. The best advice I can give you is to take your own fabrics and spend a lot of time testing both machines. Choose the one that feels right to you. Have you read our Bernina Love thread?

------
~Diana~

♥ Bernina 830E ♥ Bernina 1150MDA serger

✝The Lord is my Light and my Salvation: whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1✝

Sew Nanny
starstarstar
Sew Nanny  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 8/13/06
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 10/23/12 11:15 AM

I love my 830LE, which I purchased in August of 2011. It already has over 3,000,000 stitches on it, mostly embroidery. One of the reasons I wanted this machine was for the Jumbo hoop, which I use often. I've also used the Mega hoop with great success. The Endless Embroidery feature is amazing. The 780 shares many of the great features of the 830, including the dual feed system. It can also embroider using the Jumbo hoop, but loses a couple of inches of embroidery space because the harp is 2" shorter than the 830. I have never had any bobbin or threading issues with my machine. My automatic needle threader works 100% of the time. I prefer the screen interface of the 830 over the 780, but that's just me. I don't think you can go wrong with either machine. Have fun making your decision.

------
Patricia
Bernina B380 ~ Juki MO-735
Bernina DesignerPlus 7

"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness." Eleanor Roosevelt

kse
kse
Member since 3/31/07
Send Message

Date: 10/23/12 11:30 AM

I don't know if I mentioned that I also have a commercial embroidery machine so what I would primarily use the either 830 or 780 for is sample stitch outs, possibly taking it to craft shows for sewing out personalized items and for small in the hoop things that I don't want to use the commercial machine for. I appreciate all your remarks. I don't necessarily need a top of the line machine just the machine that will be the most reliable. The features on both of these machines so out number what I have now that I am sure I would be thrilled with either of them.

lgrande
star
lgrande  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 1/18/12
Send Message

In reply to kse <<

Date: 10/23/12 11:37 AM

You are so fortunate to be able to buy whichever machine suits you. I am a 830 owner as well and now that I exchanged my 830 for an 830LE I am happy too. I had threader issues with my first machine but this one is playing nicely with me.
You are probably aware that the 830 is extremely heavy, weighing in at nearly 40 lbs.
If you're going to pack it around with you, you may want the smaller 780 or 750 that I think is approx. 10 lbs. lighter (someone correct me if I've got that wrong).
While I'm thoroughly enjoying my LE, I avoid classes where I have to take it with me as I've hurt my back every time I've had to carry it.

edited to correct spelling error.

-- Edited on 10/23/12 11:40 AM --

------
Linda

Bernina 830LE - Brother Dreamweaver VQ3000 - Bernina B530 - Janome 6600P - Pfaff 1209 - Babylock Evolution - Janome 644 - Babylock Sashiko2 - Babylock BLCS-2

SouthernStitch
starstarstar
SouthernStitch  Friend of PR
Intermediate
LA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 10/23/12 11:57 AM

If you are going to be carrying it around and don't need it for really large stitch outs you might want to consider the 580. It's much lighter than the 7 series, and much more *totable*. It's had only one bug that we know of - taking an extra stitch here and there, but they have a downloadable fix for that in case you get one of those machines. Most of the 580 owners are very happy with their machines.

However, the larger bobbins of the 7 and 8 series machines are fabulous for holding so much thread, which may be beneficial at a show. The 8 series bobbins hold lots more thread than the others, and the new 7s hold even more than the 8s.

------
Bernina 780, and 530
Juki TL2010
Babylock Evolution
Singer 403a

When life gives you green velvet curtains, make a green velvet dress.

woolspinner123
woolspinner123
Intermediate
MD
Member since 9/4/08
Send Message

In reply to kse <<

Date: 10/23/12 12:24 PM

I am in the same position as you. I also have the Bernina 200/730 and have been playing with the upgrading. I still have much to learn, but the idea of the larger hoop in the 780 or 830 is a reason to move up. I bulk at the learning curve, however, I went to my local dealer and she showed me on her laptop the simulator that you can download of the 730e. I thought it was a good idea to go home and download it and familize myself with the 730e. I find it is very helpful. you may want to try it. Go to Bernina.com...products...7 series...learn more...support...simulator,
I hope this helps....still on the fence

kse
kse
Member since 3/31/07
Send Message

Date: 10/23/12 12:31 PM

What is the difference or what is the 830 LE? I am familiar with the 830 but don't understand the LE thing. Is it the color or does it have added features.

lgrande
star
lgrande  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 1/18/12
Send Message

In reply to kse <<

Date: 10/23/12 12:39 PM

It's the Limited Edition model. Very little difference other than aesthetics...the LE is red and the 830 is black. There are some designs that come with the LE which are exclusive.
And, of course, it COSTS MORE!

------
Linda

Bernina 830LE - Brother Dreamweaver VQ3000 - Bernina B530 - Janome 6600P - Pfaff 1209 - Babylock Evolution - Janome 644 - Babylock Sashiko2 - Babylock BLCS-2

SewBusy63
star
SewBusy63
Intermediate
Member since 12/10/07
Send Message

In reply to woolspinner123 <<

Date: 10/23/12 12:53 PM

You can also download the simulator for the 830. For myself, I did not think it has a huge learning curve. A lot of the icons are similar to those you already know. Plus if you familiarize yourself by playing with the simulator, when you get the machine, you already know a lot. Still, THE best way is to test each machine and see which fits your needs best. Best of luck in your decision! :)

------
~Diana~

♥ Bernina 830E ♥ Bernina 1150MDA serger

✝The Lord is my Light and my Salvation: whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1✝

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Bernina 780 vs 830

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fun with Fitting - PANTS
Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Register

Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Register

Shapes High Five Jacket Pattern

Shapes High Five Jacket Pattern

Buy Now
SewBaby Easy Pieces Jumper Pattern

SewBaby Easy Pieces Jumper Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.