SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Beginner's Forum > Please help me find voluminous hoodie pattern ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Please help me find voluminous hoodie pattern
Prarie Underground hoodie
JOshiro
star
JOshiro  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/14/05
Send Message

thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 10/23/12 11:43 AM

I love love love the Prarie Underground Hoodie with the oversized hood that is like a ruched shawl collar when down. While I'm sure it's worth the ~$250 price tag, I just don't have that kind of cash.

Any suggestions for a similar sewing pattern?

Courtney Ostaff
Courtney Ostaff
Intermediate
West Virginia USA
Member since 11/23/10
Send Message

In reply to JOshiro <<

Date: 10/23/12 12:51 PM

That is a dress with a zip up the front, pockets, and a neckline that is a ruched hood.

You could put a zipper down the front of B3274, and tack a waistband on. Then, put some pockets from a hoodie like Kwik-Sew 3879. The hood I'm afraid you'd have to experiment with. Perhaps a half-circle ruched to fit the neckline?
-- Edited on 10/23/12 12:52 PM --

crazygrad
star
crazygrad  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 11/11/07
Send Message

In reply to JOshiro <<

Date: 10/23/12 2:38 PM

This vogue jacket
has some similar lines. Not a hoody, but the collar is certainly voluminous. The biggest difference is the pockets, but chop shaped pockets shouldn't be that hard to draw.

crazygrad
star
crazygrad  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 11/11/07
Send Message

Date: 10/23/12 3:00 PM

Have you thought about Sewaholic's Minoru jacket? It has been well reviewed here!

NottaWadder
star
NottaWadder
Advanced Beginner
Member since 6/17/12
Send Message

Date: 10/23/12 4:24 PM

What an amazing hoodie! If you do come up with a way of copying this, please let me know as I would love to try it too!

------
My Singer crew:
Sergei - Serger 14T968DC (set up as coverstitch)
Stella - Serger Stylist II 14J250 (set up as main overlock)
Quincy - Quantum 9960 (my main SM)
Newest addition: Stevie, my very first Featherweight! (221 Centennial)

jacquiJB
jacquiJB  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
DENMARK
Member since 5/5/06
Send Message

Date: 10/24/12 1:04 AM

OOP Vogue/Sandra Betzina 1061 might be interesting, since it has a similar shape, although the hood is much less bulky. You could use Folkwear's Kinsale cloak for the hood and draft your own pockets. Or add a peplum and the pockets, and change the hood of Simplicity 1940.

Cute project. I'll join the chorus of hoping it works for you and that you post a review!

Sauvage
star
Sauvage  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 7/22/09
Send Message

Date: 10/24/12 8:18 AM

Another vogue jacket that has a big collar and hood (view B). The collar and hood seem like two separate entities, though.

I say "seem" like they're separate because I haven't been able to obtain this pattern (at least, not at the 3.99 sale price) despite a few attempts. The big collar and collar/hood combos have intrigued me since I made a few shoulder pieces (what I would call "cowls" but officially seem to be called just "hoods") for quick costume changes in a kids' production of Robin Hood. See views b and c --those are the same accessory with hood up and hood down. I wanted something like that for myself, but just on this side of the line between clothes and costume (wherever that line may be). So i'll watch the voluminous hoodie adventures with interest!
-- Edited on 10/24/12 8:20 AM --

------
Jeanne
2014 yards in inventory: (to be counted)
Yards cut/sewn:58
Yards purchased: 46.3

"People....so much bigger on the inside." Doctor Who, "The Doctor's Wife," 6.04, by Neil Gaiman.

JOshiro
star
JOshiro  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 5/14/05
Send Message

Date: 10/24/12 12:20 PM

Thanks for all the follow-up, folks! Seems like a Frankenpattern is a must, eh?

I was eyeballing Vogue 8806, which would need a bit of modification (more than I've ever attempted), but might have "good bones," too.

NancyZL
NancyZL  Friend of PR
Intermediate
New Jersey USA
Member since 6/18/08
Send Message

In reply to JOshiro <<

Date: 10/24/12 4:31 PM

I think if you added width to that center seam of the hood it would be doable.
Then you gather the seam where it attaches to the body. Hoods are easy to make, just determining the amount of fabric is key.

PattyE
starstarstar
PattyE  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Member since 9/7/10
Send Message

Date: 10/25/12 5:15 PM

There is a brand new Vogue pattern up today...it's a tunic but you could easily adapt it to zipper open...it's V8854.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> Please help me find voluminous hoodie pattern

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Altering Jackets
Altering Jackets

Register

The Contemporary Couture Jacket
The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Register

New Look 6097

photo
by: caper81

Review
Petite Plus 605 Pattern

Petite Plus 605 Pattern

Buy Now
Bluegingerdoll The Peggy Skirt Pattern

Bluegingerdoll The Peggy Skirt Pattern

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.