SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
Fashion Fabrics Club
Fashion Fabrics Club

Forum > Sewing Machines > What is a good price for a pre-owned Bernina 380? ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
What is a good price for a pre-owned Bernina 380?
Purchased from original owner.......
Lauri Jean
star
Lauri Jean
Advanced Beginner
South Dakota USA
Member since 1/11/06
Send Message

Date: 10/26/12 11:18 AM

I have an opportunity to purchase a Bernina 380 from someone who has literally used it three times. She needs the money and has advertised it for $800. What do you think?

------
QLTDIVA

Warbler
star
Warbler  Friend of PR
Advanced
Vermont USA
Member since 4/15/07
Send Message

In reply to Lauri Jean <<

Date: 10/26/12 11:20 AM

Make sure you testing thoroughly, but that is a great price. I think new they go for about 1800.

------
Janome MC6600 Bernina 240 Juki MO735 Singer 201-2 Singer 221-1

SewBusy63
star
SewBusy63
Intermediate
Member since 12/10/07
Send Message

Date: 10/26/12 12:09 PM

I agree with Warbler. Remember, the warranty will not transfer to you. You might have her take it to her dealer and have it serviced so you know it is in perfect condition.

------
~Diana~

♥ Bernina 830E ♥ Bernina 1150MDA serger

✝The Lord is my Light and my Salvation: whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1✝

Learn To Sew
star
Learn To Sew  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/12/05
Send Message

Date: 10/26/12 12:30 PM

It's too bad she can't keep the machine. It is a great one.

You will be getting a wonderful 3/4 sized machine. The harp area is smaller than a normal machine, just so you know. I'd love to have one of those, too.

------
I really enjoy quilting. I love to play with fabrics, colors and pictures. I recently discovered how much fun applique can be. As I love making pictures, landscape quilting can be challenging, but seeing the picture come to life is so rewarding.
Bernina 630, my main machine
Pfaff 2036, my class machine
Babylock Molly
Bernina 1200DA serger
Unique Sewing Cabinet 450L

Doris W. in TN
star
Doris W. in TN  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Tennessee USA
Member since 2/9/04
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 10/26/12 3:06 PM

That price is really dirt cheap. As long as you know the machine works perfectly, etc., go for it!

sewfrequent

sewfrequent
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 6/27/03
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 10/26/12 6:54 PM

If this 380 is in good working condition, its a scream'in great deal for you.

Lauri Jean
star
Lauri Jean
Advanced Beginner
South Dakota USA
Member since 1/11/06
Send Message

Date: 10/29/12 10:54 AM

Thank you for your guidance. I looked at the machine yesterday and it is pristine. I sewed through 8 layers of denim with it without a hiccup. The only problem, the seller couldn't find the manual, knee lift or accessory bag. Why would someone advertise without having it all together? She knew for a week that i would be stopping over to see the machine. I'm just waiting now. My husband told me to offer less and then buy the missing items from our local dealer.

------
QLTDIVA

Learn To Sew
star
Learn To Sew  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 4/12/05
Send Message

Date: 10/29/12 11:11 AM

Some people are just disorganized. She might be very stressed as well financially and this adds to the problem. I'd offer her less and see if she bites.

Call the dealer and find out how much it will cost to get a new manual, knee lift and accessory bag. What exactly should be in the accessory bag? Do you mean the one with all the feet or just a travel bag? If the one with the feet, oh, my, the cost of replacing several feet is not going to be cheap.

------
I really enjoy quilting. I love to play with fabrics, colors and pictures. I recently discovered how much fun applique can be. As I love making pictures, landscape quilting can be challenging, but seeing the picture come to life is so rewarding.
Bernina 630, my main machine
Pfaff 2036, my class machine
Babylock Molly
Bernina 1200DA serger
Unique Sewing Cabinet 450L

sewfrequent

sewfrequent
Intermediate
Texas USA
Member since 6/27/03
Send Message

Date: 10/29/12 11:11 AM

I'd determine what the machine came with in feet and accessories excluding things like lint-brush, oil, spool caps, seam ripper and tell her these are items you would need and use and that it'd be x dollars to buy them. See what she is willing to do before offering your price as DH suggested. Its already such a good buy...but those missing items could total $350 or so (guessing)..and more if it came w/ a walking foot. Rather than lose out on this deal, consider what you're willing to pay as-is. She will probably reduce it some if she doesn't find the items, but probably not the amount of full retail cost to replace. This may be why its priced this low to begin with...but she should let buyers know price is for machine only w/ no feet, manual or lever. Its def in her best interests to find those items but I have to wonder if she will because I feel she'd have done this already if she had them.

edit to add: LTS and i were posting simultaneously and saying the same. Sorry!
-- Edited on 10/29/12 11:12 AM --

SewBusy63
star
SewBusy63
Intermediate
Member since 12/10/07
Send Message

Date: 10/29/12 11:56 AM

I agree with the others. These items will not be cheap if you buy them from the dealer. If you get on the Bernina USA website, you can see what should come with the 380. You can then find out the cost to replace them and let her know that and see if she'll drop her price. I find it odd she can't find them. Perhaps get the serial number off the back and call the dealer to verify it was registered to this person and that it wasn't stolen?

------
~Diana~

♥ Bernina 830E ♥ Bernina 1150MDA serger

✝The Lord is my Light and my Salvation: whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1✝

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> What is a good price for a pre-owned Bernina 380?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Fit the Tee to a T
Fit the Tee to a T

Register

Break your Serger Out of the Box
Break your Serger Out of the Box

Register

New Look 6107

photo
by: Bootzey

Review
Butterick 5803

photo
by: Mobycat

Review
You Sew Girl 200mm Chunky Frame Purse Pattern

You Sew Girl 200mm Chunky Frame Purse Pattern

Buy Now
THE MOULAGE - A CD book by Kenneth King

THE MOULAGE - A CD book by Kenneth King

Buy Now

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.