SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Miscellaneous > Re-enamelling Le Creuset? ( Moderated by Deepika, EleanorSews, CynthiaSue)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Re-enamelling Le Creuset?
My wonderful pot is now chipped on the inside
Luckylibbet
star
Luckylibbet
California USA
Member since 7/28/03
Send Message

Date: 10/27/12 11:43 PM

I have two Le Creuset pots, one of which I received as a wedding present more than 25! years ago, and that one is still going strong.

The other one I bought about ten years ago from the Le Creuset outlet in Gilroy, CA. It's now chipped on the bottom of the cooking surface.

My web research has led to confusing accounts - one major point seems to be that it's still OK to cook on, being cast iron, you just need to season it.

The other big point seems to be that Le Creuset offers a lifetime guarantee - that I can send it back to them for repair or replacement.

I thought I could just pay a company to re- enamel it, but those companies seem to specialize in sinks and tubs, not cookware grade re- enamel.

Do any of you have advice? I'd really prefer to have it either re- enameled or replaced, as it currently is popping bits of enamel into the stew, less than appetizing.

Any advice? - Heather

------
Suo ergo maledicto

Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary. - Steve Jobs

kathi s

kathi s
Beginner
California USA
Member since 1/23/03
Send Message

Date: 10/28/12 0:02 AM

I've had my big Creuset casserole for 43 years. It has a few chips and the enamel is crazed in spots. I still use it with no ill effects and I have decided to view its blemishes as proof of a long productive life, much as I view my own wrinkles and grey hair!

jacquiJB
jacquiJB  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
DENMARK
Member since 5/5/06
Send Message

Date: 10/28/12 1:51 AM

Since they have the guarantee, I'd ask them to replace it. If it's shedding bits of enamel into your food, that's a potentially serious problem (chipped teeth, perforated intestines, etc)!

Courtney Ostaff
Courtney Ostaff
Intermediate
West Virginia USA
Member since 11/23/10
Send Message

In reply to Luckylibbet <<

Date: 10/28/12 8:58 AM

http://cookware.lecreuset.com/cookware/content_faq4_#prod6

Quote:
A small piece of enamel on the inside of my pot chipped away. Is it safe to use, and how do I fix it?
If the chip is on the outside of the pot, it is still safe to use. Coat the chipped spot with oil to keep moisture out. However, if the chip is on the inside, we recommend sending the piece to be evaluated. If we determine the chip to result from a workmanship error, we will replace the piece free of cost; if it is the result of misuse, we will offer you a new piece at a discounted price. Send the piece to:
Returns Department

Le Creuset of America
114 Bob Gifford Blvd.
Early Branch, SC 29914

Cynic that I am, I have a hard time believing that many of their pots get fixed due to workmanship errors.
Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 10/28/12 9:07 AM

Ahh! My favorite and only cookware for over 30 years! Here's what to do: Call or email LeCruset, and tell them of the problem. They will send you a return shipping label. It might be free, or you might have to pay for return shipping, as their policy may have changed. Ship the item to them. They will test it, and if it's your fault, they will send you a coupon good for 75% off a new piece. If it's their fault, they will send you a new one, free of charge.

Wonderful, wonderful company! I've had nothing but good experiences with them. And their Halo tea kettle is fabulous!
-- Edited on 10/28/12 9:08 AM --

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

Elona
star
Elona  Friend of PR
Advanced
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

Date: 10/28/12 11:40 AM

I have a le Creuset casserole that's even older than that. I dropped it one evening, and chipped out a bit of the glaze on the inside. It was definitely my fault. However, in all the decades since, that chip has never grown any larger, so I've just continued treating like a cast iron skillet.

Since yours appears to be continuing to shed enamel, that sounds like a manufacturing flaw as well as a safety issue. If I were you, I'd contact the company.

jadamo00
star
jadamo00
Advanced
New York USA
Member since 3/13/06
Send Message

Date: 10/28/12 12:48 PM

In Brooklyn, NY, we used to have a small stove manufacturer, Slattery Stove. And they'd let you bring anything you wanted enameled to the factory and run it down the line.

A friend had a beat up, antique, but still working stove that he ran through the line and it came out looking gorgeous.

j.

Miss Fairchild
starstarstarstar
Miss Fairchild
Advanced
USA
Member since 8/24/02
Send Message

In reply to jadamo00 <<

Date: 10/28/12 12:50 PM

Those were the days!

------
"Play the cards you are dealt, but choose who is sitting at the table"..AARP magazine

SEE MY ETSY SHOP HERE: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AuntMaymesAttic
My blog: http://auntmaymesattic.wordpress.com/

Luckylibbet
star
Luckylibbet
California USA
Member since 7/28/03
Send Message

Date: 10/28/12 2:16 PM

I knew you guys would have an answer - I'll contact the company and see what they can do.

I can't swear it wasn't my fault, as I'm known to be hard on my cookware. It just seemed odd that the older pot just keeps on going and going, while the newer one had problems.

Thanks!

------
Suo ergo maledicto

Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary. - Steve Jobs

NM gal
NM gal
Beginner
Member since 5/27/09
Send Message

Date: 10/29/12 6:15 PM

I have successfully sent a chipped Le Cruset pot back to the address above & they replaced it. Easy.

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Miscellaneous >> Re-enamelling Le Creuset?

Merchants on PR

Patterns from the Past

vintage sewing patterns
Deals!

Reconstructing History

Reconstructing History
Web site

Nature's Fabrics

Natural & Organic Fabrics
Deals!

Elliott Berman Textiles

Fabrics for Greater Ideas
Deals!

Style Arc sewing dress patterns

Patterns That Fit
Web site

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Create a Jacket Muslin
Create a Jacket Muslin

Class Details

Online Class
Leather 101
Leather 101

Class Details

Ottobre Design Magazine 01-2012-21

photo
by: kidmd

Review
Petite Plus 401 Pattern

Petite Plus 401 Pattern

More Info
J Stern Designs Top with two collars and a Peplum Pattern

J Stern Designs Top with two collars and a Peplum Pattern

More Info
No Pattern Used 0000

photo
by: MissParayi...

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.