SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Beginner's Forum > Serger Needles ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Serger Needles
Babylock Evolution serger
Zoe1986
Zoe1986
Member since 8/11/12
Send Message

Date: 10/29/12 7:50 AM

Hi,
I have a dumb question (and yes, it is really rather dumb...) I just purchased a new Evolution (Babylock) serger. I read somewhere (and I don't remember where) that this serger actually uses regular sewing machine needles unless you are using the coverstitch in which case you need a different needle. Do any of you out there know if this is true? On the inside of my serger, it says the following needle should be used: ELx705CF / 80/12 90/14.
My real problem is that everything I buy, I have to order online because I'm living in Japan. Finding sources has proven to be a challenge. If anyone can help me, I would really appreciate it!!

Zoe in Zama, Japan

lgrande
star
lgrande  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
Member since 1/18/12
Send Message

In reply to Zoe1986 <<
thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 10/29/12 8:01 AM

Use the needles as listed by the mfr., the ones shown on the inside of the serger. Those are the correct size/type.
I also own this serger and my manual clearly states to use ELx705CF. It is a semi-ballpoint and is suitable for knits and wovens.

------
Linda

Bernina 830LE - Brother Dreamweaver VQ3000 - Bernina B530 - Janome 6600P - Pfaff 1209 - Babylock Evolution - Janome 644 - Babylock Sashiko2 - Babylock BLCS-2

sew2006
star
sew2006
Advanced
ON CANADA
Member since 6/24/06
Send Message

In reply to Zoe1986 <<

Date: 10/29/12 8:43 AM

The ELx705 needle system is used in most cover stitch machines. The back of the needle has the room for the chain looper to form stitches when doing cover stitch. The CF is chromium finish: prevents skipped stitches on fabrics. Have you tried to contact the Schmetzs sewing company? They would know who their re-resellers are in a particular country.

------
Janome10001, Babylock ESG3, Brother ULT 2001, White 634D serger, Pfaff 1472, Singer featherweight, Singer 14T957Dc, Bernina FunLock 009DCC coverlock, Brother PQ1500S, Janome CP900.

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
OH USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

In reply to Zoe1986 <<

Date: 10/29/12 9:36 AM

What do you think the Japanese serger owners use in their sergers? Some place there has the needles.

I doubt if there is a need to order, but here is one site.

------
I dont give them Hell, I just tell the truth about them and they think its Hell. Harry Truman

"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

rfsews
rfsews
Beginner
CA USA
Member since 11/21/06
Send Message

In reply to Zoe1986 <<

Date: 10/29/12 1:10 PM

I've only used ELx705CF needles in my serger to serge and coverstitch, and never regular sewing needles. I believe Babylock serger comes with a set of Organ needles, which are made in Japan. Try and look for Organ needles?

beauturbo
beauturbo
Advanced
CA USA
Member since 5/2/09
Send Message

In reply to Zoe1986 <<

Date: 10/29/12 1:32 PM

You can try using a regular sharp flat backed sewing machine needle (as works fine for just regular overlocking on wovens, but might skip on some knits) if you want to do that and it would not hurt the machine at all, but for cover stitching I think you are going to be much more happy and less likely to get skipped stitches if you really do use a ELX705 one. The CF part on the end of it or not, is not all that vital or important at all. So ELX705 Kind with or with not a CF on the back of it, all works.

What is important though, is you only stick size 12 or 14 needles in there. I think if you try to use a larger needle, it will end up metal hitting metal. And if you try to use smaller needles it may not form stitches right. Japan is full of lovely fabric stores and all sorts of wonderful sewing stuff, and is even where all the best sergers and overlockers are made and has tons of sergers, so I can't imagine you can't find any system ELX705 needles over there at all. That seems really odd to me. Also home all sorts of lovely quilting and sewing magazines. And I do see Babylock Segers and projects for them, even in the Japanese sewing and quilting magazines. So they are there. Maybe go get some of those magazines, then you would have the actual addresses and phone #'s of some of those shops?

Zoe1986
Zoe1986
Member since 8/11/12
Send Message

In reply to PattiAnnJ <<

Date: 10/29/12 5:33 PM

PattiAnn,
Thanks for your advice. It had already crossed my mind that the Japanese use the same needles, however, I don't speak Japanese and most don't read or write English. There lies the problem......

Zoe1986
Zoe1986
Member since 8/11/12
Send Message

In reply to lgrande <<

Date: 10/29/12 5:34 PM

Thanks, Linda. I thought so, but being very new to the world of serging, I didn't want to go to a lot more trouble than necessary, however, I also don't want to mess up this fantastic serger. Still learning but not having to deal with tensions is g-r-e-a-t!!

Zoe1986
Zoe1986
Member since 8/11/12
Send Message

In reply to beauturbo <<

Date: 10/29/12 5:41 PM

Thanks for your kind post - you didn't make me feel like a dummy.
I have no idea where all those lovely fabric stores are you mentioned. I live about 30-35 miles south of Tokyo and most of the fabric stores I've found are nothing like what I'm used to at home. I know there are Organ needles here, I've seen them and I've tried to figure out which ones to buy but I don't speak or read Japanese and my co-worker (Japanese) said most people here don't sew for themselves because it's cheaper to buy ready-made and I believe she's right. Fabric here is very expensive. Usually, fabric is purchased by the centimeter rather than the meter. Crazy, huh? I will journey on and continue my quest for serger needles. Thanks!

PattiAnnJ
star
PattiAnnJ
Advanced
OH USA
Member since 12/3/06
Send Message

In reply to Zoe1986 <<

Date: 10/29/12 6:51 PM

Quote: Zoe1986
PattiAnn,

Thanks for your advice. It had already crossed my mind that the Japanese use the same needles, however, I don't speak Japanese and most don't read or write English. There lies the problem......

You can always resort to "show and tell".

Or, find a school that has students or an instructor that speak
English and ask them to write out what you are looking for. Write it down and let them translate.

If that is not an option, show the needle pack with numbers to a merchant that sells sewing machines and supplies.

How do you buy other items, like food?

------
I dont give them Hell, I just tell the truth about them and they think its Hell. Harry Truman

"Improvise, adapt and overcome." - Clint Eastwood/Heartbreak Ridge

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> Serger Needles

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Bust Adjustments
Bust Adjustments

Register

Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics
Sewing with Slippery & Drapey Fabrics

Register

BurdaStyle Magazine 03-2011-146

photo
by: Renren

Review
PerfectFuse Sheer White

PerfectFuse Sheer White

Buy Now
SewBaby Reversible Skirt Pattern

SewBaby Reversible Skirt Pattern

Buy Now
BurdaStyle Magazine 03-2012-104

photo
by: Judy Willi...

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.