SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Platinum Sponsor
PatternReview.com
PatternReview.com

Forum > Sewing Machines > Singer Futura Quartet TS on HSN Nov 7. ( Moderated by Sharon1952, EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
Singer Futura Quartet TS on HSN Nov 7.
It's a new Futura model with auto cutter
sewplenty
sewplenty
Advanced
Washington USA
Member since 4/1/12
Send Message

Date: 10/30/12 11:25 PM

You can read more about this on Darlene Cahill's facebook page. It will have a few other different features, but the best is the auto cutter. Can you imagine making an embroidery machine without an auto cutter? Anyway, I like the idea of being able to work on designs on my computer rather than in a tiny screen on the machine itself. I have read the reviews of the older models here, but curious if anyone has compared the former model to a Bernina or other high end embroidery machine.

------
Singer Quintet
Brother 1034D
Singer Stylist II Serger
Singer Heavy Duty 5532
Singer Signature (New One)
New Home Combi DX
Singer 319
Singer Featherweight 221

quirkygal

quirkygal  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
New Jersey USA
Member since 1/20/06
Send Message

Date: 11/1/12 11:50 AM

I'm curious too. I have Viking #1/1200 that is workhorse but is getting older (Ever notice how our sewing machines keep aging while we don't? ) and I'd like to dabble in embroidery.

Darlene Chaill mentioned that it is the big sister to the Singer XL 550. This machine must not be available in the US. I found some sites in Australia and Germany (not that I read German) that had pics and such. There is a You-Tube video of the machine as well but I'm not sure how similar or different the machines will be.

I also have concerns about quality. I think Singer has gotten much better since SVP took over the Singer, Viking, and Pfaff brands but I want to make sure that this is the best investment for my dollar or if I should wait just a little longer.

quirkygal

quirkygal  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
New Jersey USA
Member since 1/20/06
Send Message

In reply to quirkygal <<

Date: 11/5/12 2:04 PM

I've done some more sleuthing and the machine's model # is SEQS-6700. It's apparently similar/almost identical to the HUSQVARNA VIKING® H|CLASS™ 600E except that the Singer Machine needs to be connected to a PC to embroider whereas the Viking runs off a USB dongle.

Should be interesting to see how it's priced and what other differences there are between the Singer and Viking versions.

sewplenty
sewplenty
Advanced
Washington USA
Member since 4/1/12
Send Message

Date: 11/6/12 0:08 AM

From what I have been able to gather, this new machine is almost identical to the Futura they already have, but it has a thread cutter. I am intrigued by being able to work on the designs on my laptop with a big screen so I can see what is going on rather than on a smaller screen on the sewing machine. Also, I believe this keeps the price down. I am looking forward to pricing and features as well.

------
Singer Quintet
Brother 1034D
Singer Stylist II Serger
Singer Heavy Duty 5532
Singer Signature (New One)
New Home Combi DX
Singer 319
Singer Featherweight 221

quirkygal

quirkygal  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
New Jersey USA
Member since 1/20/06
Send Message

In reply to sewplenty <<

Date: 11/6/12 12:47 PM

Quote:
I am intrigued by being able to work on the designs on my laptop with a big screen so I can see what is going on rather than on a smaller screen on the sewing machine.

That appeals to me too. I've tried some machines with the "big" LCD screens but if there is a glare from a light source I have a hard time seeing them. I'm also concerned about LCD burning out or being damaged (cats, curious relations, clutzy me) and needing to be replaced.

I have two desktop replacement laptops - both with 17" screens - that would be ideal for getting a good look at things (I blame the newfangled technology and not the age of my eyes ) when embroidering.

And that's primarily what I want - the ability to embroider and embellish garments, quilts, crafts, etc. The fact that the machine appears to have a larger harp than my Viking #1/1200 is icing on the cake. It will come in handy for larger quilting projects or those random projects my brother manages to find for me like sleeping bag zipper replacements (Of course, that's if the Singer has the horsepower of my Viking - I'm a bit spoiled with what I can sew over and through).

karen149
star
karen149  Friend of PR
Intermediate
California USA
Member since 3/4/05
online now
Send Message

Date: 11/6/12 3:17 PM

Same as the HUSQVARNA VIKING® H|CLASS™ 600E?:

Futura Quartet™ SEQS-6700

Here's the product page on it:
Feature details and stitches
-- Edited on 11/6/12 3:21 PM --

quirkygal

quirkygal  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
New Jersey USA
Member since 1/20/06
Send Message

In reply to karen149 <<

Date: 11/6/12 3:45 PM

Thanks for the links - Singer must have updated it's website.

It looks like 660E
http://www.husqvarnaviking.com/us/19583.htm

-- Edited on 11/6/12 3:46 PM --

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

In reply to quirkygal <<

Date: 11/7/12 1:54 PM

HSN selling this for $800 if there are no problems with it as in previous ones it's looks to be a good deal if you have a laptop for it. The one thing is why did they leave out a 5 x 7 hoop?

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

quirkygal

quirkygal  Friend of PR
Advanced Beginner
New Jersey USA
Member since 1/20/06
Send Message

In reply to quiltingwolf <<

Date: 11/7/12 8:17 PM

I didn't even notice the 5x7 hoop wasn't included. Guess they have to keep you coming back for more

Sooooo, I took the plunge. HSN is offering returns until Jan 31 and the machine is on easy pay. I also used FatWallet so I'm getting 3% cash back.

Now, if only the machine could spontaneously appear in my sewing room I'd be all set.

quiltingwolf
star
quiltingwolf
Intermediate
Member since 12/15/02
Send Message

In reply to quirkygal <<

Date: 11/8/12 10:02 AM

let us know how it does. As these machines especially the early ones don't have good track records.

------
quiltingwolf.blogspot.com

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Sewing Machines >> Singer Futura Quartet TS on HSN Nov 7.

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Clone Your Favorite Garment
Clone Your Favorite Garment

Register

Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics
Beginners Guide to Dyeing Fabrics

Register

Vogue Patterns 1031

photo
by: Lenarciak

Review
SewBaby Comfy-Alls and Knit Shirt Pattern

SewBaby Comfy-Alls and Knit Shirt Pattern

Buy Now
Wonder Wallet

Wonder Wallet

Buy Now
Vogue Patterns 7016

photo
by: megumi

Review

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.