SIGNUP - FREE Membership and 1 FREE Sewing Lesson
| FAQ | Login

Forum > Beginner's Forum > What sizes are the Simplicity Patterns? ( Moderated by EleanorSews)

Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview
Go to Page:
What sizes are the Simplicity Patterns?
Finding out sizes
nic.0448
nic.0448  Friend of PR
Beginner
AUSTRALIA
Member since 10/30/12
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 10/31/12 0:29 AM

I am new here and have been looking at the Simplicity patterns for kids clothes. But I can't find any information about what sizes the patterns are for, unless someone has written a review about it. Please help?

------
Nic (Melbourne)

TamNearPDX
TamNearPDX
Advanced Beginner
Washington USA
Member since 1/16/08
Send Message

Date: 10/31/12 0:52 AM

The back of the pattern envelope lists sizes...

nic.0448
nic.0448  Friend of PR
Beginner
AUSTRALIA
Member since 10/30/12
Send Message

In reply to TamNearPDX <<

Date: 10/31/12 1:00 AM

But I need to know what sizes they are before I buy the pattern??

------
Nic (Melbourne)

Sibilance7
Sibilance7
Intermediate
Member since 8/10/11
Send Message

Date: 10/31/12 1:07 AM

As TamNearPDX says, the sizes are printed on the back of the pattern envelope with measurements. But if you're looking online here at Pattern Review, you'll need to look down under the picture of the pattern and see if there's a link that says "PDF Download (size and other info)." If so, that will show you an image of the back of the envelope. If you don't see that link, you can't get that info here at Pattern Review, but you might try searching the website of the manufacturer of the pattern. They typically include sizing info on their websites.

Also, you may already know this, but when you go the store to buy the pattern, not all the sizes are necessarily in the same envelope. Sometimes they split them up, so you should always check to make sure you're purchasing the size you actually want. Ask me how I know this!

Editing to add: if you want to buy them through Pattern Review, when you go to add the pattern to your cart, it will ask you which size you want to buy. I looked at a random Simplicity kids pattern and it had the option to purchase sizes 3-6 or 7-14. I hope this helps!
-- Edited on 10/31/12 1:09 AM --

------
My blog: www.feministstitch.com

I sew on:
Olivia, my Pfurple Pfaff Creative Performance
BabyLock Evolution

nic.0448
nic.0448  Friend of PR
Beginner
AUSTRALIA
Member since 10/30/12
Send Message

Date: 10/31/12 1:12 AM

Ok Thanks so much. I have seen that link on a couple of patterns and found the info on the PDF, but they don't all have that.

Thanks also for the info about getting the right size patterns - I dont need to ask how you figured that out!!

Thanks again :)

------
Nic (Melbourne)

limer
limer
Beginner
Member since 11/15/10
Send Message

In reply to nic.0448 <<

Date: 10/31/12 1:14 AM

Hi. If you already know this info, then just ignore. Hope this helps.

On the back of envelopes sizes are listed.

For example,Simplicity 1722. You could download the pdf of the back envelope here [S1722 pdf] - if it's easier to read. But the on the webpage beside the tab "product details" is "envelope back" - click this and you'll get the same info as the pdf [this is also the webpage where the pdf link is located].

On the back of every envelope there are Body Measurements.
For S1722 [all in inches and cm on the french side]:
Chest
Waist
Hip
Back-neck to waist
Approximate Height

Then you measure the kid[s] in question and compare their chest, waist, hip, back-neck height, approximate height, to the measurements on the back of the envelope.
THEN look at the GARMENT MEASUREMENTS at the bottom of the back of the envelope. And decide how big/small you want the clothing to fit the child. You can then know which size to pick.

For example, maybe the child has a 25" chest = size 6.
But looking at the GARMENT MEASUREMENTS you see that size 6 = 32". At this point if you want the size to be a closer fit to the child, you could choose that you would rather have 29" chest for the child, therefore, you would pick the SIZE 3 not size 6 pattern for the top.
I hope that wasn't confusing.

You may already know this, but the shoulders are more important to get a proper fit because other areas of the upper-half of the body is easier to fit - if buying a top pattern or dress.

nic.0448
nic.0448  Friend of PR
Beginner
AUSTRALIA
Member since 10/30/12
Send Message

Date: 10/31/12 1:26 AM

Thank you so much for that. I didnt even realise I could look at and buy the patterns on the Simplicity website!! I have just looked there and looked up one of the patterns I wanted and found the Product Details/envelope back tabs. Awesome - thank you so much.

I am making clothes for my nephew and nieces but they live interstate so unfortunately I can't measure them - I guess I have to rely on the Number sizes (eg 3, 4,5...) and hope for the best!

Thank you again - thought I could only view them on this website :)

------
Nic (Melbourne)

Coconuts
star
Coconuts  Friend of PR
Intermediate
Michigan USA
Member since 12/2/09
Send Message

In reply to nic.0448 <<
thumbsup 2 members like this.

Date: 10/31/12 1:56 AM

The sizes for kids clothes from the Big 4 (Simplicity, Vogue, McCall's, Butterick) are *notoriously* off. I would ask their parents to measure them, or if you don't want to ruin the surprise, measure the RTW sizes they wear.

Also, Simplicity patterns are 5 for $5 at Joann's next weekend, McCall's are $1.29 through Saturday.

ETA- measure the ready to wear/store clothes and compare that to the finished garment measurements that are printed on the pattern, not the size chart. Sorry, I was completely not clear about that. You should be able to do that once you own the pattern since the patterns are multi-sized, so if they're babies, one pattern will go through toddlers, the next up to six or seven, then 7-12ish.
-- Edited on 10/31/12 2:14 AM --

limer
limer
Beginner
Member since 11/15/10
Send Message

In reply to nic.0448 <<

Date: 10/31/12 1:58 AM

You're welcome

If you can, maybe you could call your relative[s] and ask them to measure their children's chests for you? I don't think getting a size 5 in a store will also be a size 5 for a pattern, but I'm not completely certain because I've not sewn children's clothes before.

For adults, if you would buy a size 10 in a store, then you might be a size 14 in pattern sizes. [Again, you would measure yourself, compare it to the envelope sizes - the inches part - and then based on those inches choose the size that corresponds to it]. But, if the finished garments' sizes, in inches, are printed on the envelope, always go by that.

Do you know which pattern you will be choosing? Maybe members of pattern review have reviewed it already. You can also post questions on this site while you are making it. The community here is very supportive and helpful.

nic.0448
nic.0448  Friend of PR
Beginner
AUSTRALIA
Member since 10/30/12
Send Message

thumbsup 1 member likes this.

Date: 10/31/12 2:37 AM

Hope the sizes aren't too different to the shop sizes :)

I have just sewn my first pattern - made 3 of the same style dresses for my niece, She is 4yo and a 4 in shop sizes so I made them in the size 5 patterns of the dress. I have just posted them, so I hope they fit!!

It was from an old simplicity pattern from a friend that she has had for 20 years or so! It should be ok because the straps are made of ribbon and tie in a bow, so they should be pretty adjustable to fit for a couple of years. Although, am not sure about the chest size - I guess that is the most important size by the sounds of things.

I have picked quite a few Simplicity patterns that I'm interested in - 2228, 4927, 1742, 1825, 2083, 1867 - I'm pretty keen!!!

------
Nic (Melbourne)

Go to Page:
Please LOGIN or Join PatternReview

printable version Printable Version

* Advertising and soliciting is strictly prohibited on PatternReview.com. If you find a post which is not in agreement with our Terms and Conditions, please click on the Report Post button to report it. Beginner's Forum >> What sizes are the Simplicity Patterns?

adv. search»
pattern | machine | member

Online Class
Restyling with Exposed Zippers
Restyling with Exposed Zippers

Class Details

Online Class
Altering Jackets
Altering Jackets

Class Details

Other MakeIt-LoveIt.com, Child\'

photo
by: cegehin

Review
Butterick 6739

photo
by: JennyAnne

Review
Sewing Workshop Soho Coat Pattern

Sewing Workshop Soho Coat Pattern

More Info
Christine Jonson Keyhole Top & Pants for Wovens

Christine Jonson Keyhole Top & Pants for Wovens

More Info

Conditions of Use | Posting Guidelines | Privacy Policy | Shipping Rates | Returns & Refunds | Contact Us | About | New To PR | Advertising

Copyright © 2014 PatternReview.com® , OSATech, Inc. All rights reserved.